What are your going to in 2018 to be a better shooter and Gun Handler?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Drove out tot Riley after school today for practice. Plan was a good work out on the Limited gun. The gun did not break which is different than last week. I worked on accuracy and transitions at distances from 19 to 35 yards. I worked on shooting small steel at 25 yards and a little further. Tried to call shots at speed. Overall there were a few rough runs but it got better and better.

I need to work on being a faster starter. I have always been slow on the first stage or two in a match. I want to improve this over the summer.

I set up a two position stage that involved 5 paper targets and 6 steel (4 small poppers and 2 plates). The start position was in front of and between the two shooting positions. I had some issues on the small steel a few times. I got better at it as time went on. Slowest time was 18 seconds and change. I ran the last three runs on the 13 second range. I shot the first position from left to right and right to left to compare overall times and to work on knowing my game and having that information to use in stage break down.

I shot SHO and WHO at 12 yards without a miss on any run. I would rather not talk about some deltas.

The last thing I did was run as 2-2-2 drill on three targets at 7 yards. I ran it five or six times. I was in pure speed mode. I have 1.97 second run with all the hits. I saw the sights a full 2 or 3 times in that run. I have a 1.90 second run with 5 alpha and 1 mike, which was on the middle target. I don't run this type of drill much but it was fun. I am thinking I should do it a little more often. I have never shot a bill drill that fast let alone a drill on three targets.

I took the AR along and shot five or six runs on an 18 rounds array. I ran it with irons and with the scope. The scope was dialed down to 2.5 power. I was a little faster with the irons, and the hits were similar. I have done enough reviews with carbines to know that I suck with them compared to the pistol. I am working on being more competent with the long guns. Plan to shoot live fire next Thursday as well. But the long gun will be shotgun.

Came home with all of my brass and some bonus brass. Calling it a good evening on the range, and I feel like I am better than I was yesterday, but not where I want to be. Looking forward to Warsaw on Sunday.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Still working on cleaning my 5 cubed drill. Once I can clean it and consistently hit 95% Alphas I will move on to something else as my main drill to start a USPSA practice session. (EDC sessions contain different material.) Due to the consistency this drill requires it is proving to be tough to clean. I start at 5 yards WHO from the draw and shoot 5 shots in a 5 second par time. I repeat this 5 times at 5 different distances. At 10 yards it is SHO and at 15, 20, and 25 FS. Typically I get all of my hits in the WHO and SHO stages as well as all of them at 15 yards. Though at 15 I do sometimes hit a Charlie because of going too fast. Usually this means a shot high. 20yards I have cleaned, but not 25 yet. Today I actually had a Delta at 25. Not real happy about that but again, when trying to go 5 for 5 and having to do it 5 times (25 shots each distance), things have to be pretty locked in. It is proving to be a good drill for shot calling, recoil control, trigger control, use of time, acceptable sight picture, etc.. One of the only things it doesn't work is transitions, which is why I follow it with the Blake drill. ;)

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Area 5 Steel is coming up. I went out for some live fire practice on steel stages. Shot 500 rounds on Pendulum and Five to Go. I split time with my SS gun and my Limited gun. Having left my holster on my desk at home I had to resort to table draws. The shooting went fairly well. I had some same old same old runs on both stages but had some of the fastest runs of my life on them as well. Shot calling and snapping eyes went pretty well.

I also shot my carry gun at 45 yards. Out of the 15 rounds I shot at this distance all of them were on the target. Not in the center where I want them but on the target. I shot another 15 rounds at 50 yards and had one miss. I shot the Limited gun at fifty yards and had 2 misses out of 40 rounds fired. The hits were better. Still work to be done at this distance. With Nationals in the fall distance has been and will continue to be a point of emphasis.

I then moved to the rifle range and shot steel targets with the AR and the scope from the bench at distances 100, 150, 200 and 240 yards. I repeated the same targets with the iron sights and the small rear sight. Both of those runs without a miss. The large rear sight had one miss at 240 yards. Did some bench shooting on paper targets at 200 and 240 yards.

Shot off hand at each distance above. Shooting five rounds at each target the best was 4/5 and the worst 3/5. That was work.
    Pulled the truck gun (30/30 lever gun with traditional iron sights) Went 6/6 on the steel targets at varying distances. I was having a pretty good day and was warmed up.

From the bench with the truck gun a I put all six shots on a Rangemaster target. That was work as well.

Overall on the day felt good about trigger control with all platforms and guns.

Hoping to have another long range day next week. I have some testing of ammo to do and want to get a good live session in with the Limited gun. Planning on some shotgun work then as well.

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    1. Dry fire daily
    2. Shoot weekly
    3. Armorer Classes (Glock re-cert, Beretta 1301, AR15 re-cert, Sig P320)
    4. NRA LE Division Handgun/Shotgun Instructor
    5. FLETC NLTA (Sims) Instructor
    6. FLETC Basic Tac Med Instructor
    7. FLETC Active Shooter Instructor
    8. Rangemaster Instructor Development Course
    9. Rangemaster Advanced Instructor
    10. Phil Singleton AR15/MP5 Instructor
    11. Presscheck Consulting Pistol Course
    12. Sayoc Kali LE Instructor
    13. Massad Ayoob MAG40
    14. Telluric Group Night Vision Professional
    15. Teach three classes

Not everything is shooting specific, but it's all part of the layers that go with carrying.

I'll hit a NLEFIA Advanced Coaching and Diagnostics / Live-fire TCCC , and an IALEFI Master Instructor Course if I can make time, as well.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    1. Dry fire daily
    2. Shoot weekly
    3. Armorer Classes (Glock re-cert, Beretta 1301, AR15 re-cert, Sig P320)
    4. NRA LE Division Handgun/Shotgun Instructor
    5. FLETC NLTA (Sims) Instructor
    6. FLETC Basic Tac Med Instructor
    7. FLETC Active Shooter Instructor
    8. Rangemaster Instructor Development Course
    9. Rangemaster Advanced Instructor
    10. Phil Singleton AR15/MP5 Instructor
    11. Presscheck Consulting Pistol Course
    12. Sayoc Kali LE Instructor
    13. Massad Ayoob MAG40
    14. Telluric Group Night Vision Professional
    15. Teach three classes

Not everything is shooting specific, but it's all part of the layers that go with carrying.

I'll hit a NLEFIA Advanced Coaching and Diagnostics / Live-fire TCCC , and an IALEFI Master Instructor Course if I can make time, as well.

Are those things completed already?

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Done with everything through #6, #1 & 2 are on-going, 2 of 3 of # 15 are done, and the checks have been cut for the rest, except for #13. Everything through #12 will be done as of September.

Oops. Forgot something in the "done" column for this year - Glock Operator Course.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Did some pump shot gun work today on the range.
    Steel Challenge practice
    USPSA practice
    SHO
    WHO
    EDC work
    Trained and repetitions with carry gun with the daughter and the son.
    Shot from inside the vehicle today.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    [video=youtube;4h09fuOI3SA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h09fuOI3SA[/video]

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    No mikes today.

[video=youtube;0gLJRut7AZ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gLJRut7AZ4[/video]

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Hit the range after church today. Royce was put through the paces on the steel stage Showdown. We knocked 2 seconds off his stage time with the rifle. He got plenty of reps in and some thing became clear to him. He got a little work in with 22 pistol as well. I was not a part of that session.

Alyssa got in some work with her carry gun and the use of cover. She also got some work in from her purse. She got some good SHO and WHO reps in as well. This is a weak link in her shooting. Taking her back after school Friday for another session before she leave for school.

Both the kids shot real well. Their dad was real average at times. Small poppers at 25 yards is humbling but they drop at ten yards easy. Looking forward to Friday and hoping to leave happier with my performance.

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Just finished up Rangemaster Instructor Development and Advanced Instructor Development. Good classes, total of about 1700 rds in five days. Seems geared towards giving you a solid model for your classes, not so much on how to be an instructor. Also pretty clear that Tom does not want his name associated with people that are not at least competent shooters.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Just finished up Rangemaster Instructor Development and Advanced Instructor Development. Good classes, total of about 1700 rds in five days. Seems geared towards giving you a solid model for your classes, not so much on how to be an instructor. Also pretty clear that Tom does not want his name associated with people that are not at least competent shooters.

Never thought of it that way before, but I would say you are not wrong. Clearly Tom gives a lot of examples of what a good instructor should be, but it is difficult to teach how to be an instructor in a short period of time. This is what so many people are missing these days. There is a big difference between reciting material and being a good instructor. I know because when I first started teaching years ago the former is what I mostly did. This is the main reason I strongly believe in a Apprentice/Mentor system of learning the ropes before starting to teach. I could count on less than one hand the people on this forum that actually have the experience and exposure to different people, problems, and material that I think make good teachers and not just regurgitators. I guess I have went too far afield from your original point.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Spent a few hours at the range today zeroing a .22 bolt action and new scope at 50m, then learning my holdovers for 110m and 165m, the distances I'll be shooting at the .22 match at RileyCC on Saturday. Shooting .22s at tiny things past 100m can be a challenge. My objectives are to improve my trigger control and hold, practice calling my shots better, start to learn how to read and accommodate the wind, get to know my .22 better so I can schwack tiny varmints more efficiently, and continue to build my skillset that will transfer to shooting my .308 and perhaps eventually a 6.5 Creedmore.

Today I became reacquainted with how much even a slow breeze can affect a 40gr .22LR that's subsonic at 110, 165, and 200 meters. I also was reminding how much those same drop at those distances. It's kind of like shooting a tiny .45-70.

I planned to also do 21 or 41 draw and fire one shot on steel from concealment, but I was done after the .22 shooting. Next time.

Top Bottom