What do Indiana's Police Departments Carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Bloomington PD carries Glock 17s, if an officers hands are small, they are allowed to carry glock 19s. They carry Colt M4, select fire patrol rifles, factory new.

IUPD carries glock 17s, and their backup if they wish(personal choice, and officer pays for it)

Bloomington Sheriff's office is funky, they carry glocks 17 or 19, but officer is allowed to carry their own personal gun on duty if they qualify with it. In that regard, I've seen H&K USP 45s, COLT 1911's, Sig 220s as duty weapons. Appears some of the older guys carry 45 acp instead of 9mm the others run.

Salem PD carries Sig 40's, back up gun is whatever officer wants to buy. They have select fire m14's acquired from Crane.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Bloomington PD carries Glock 17s, if an officers hands are small, they are allowed to carry glock 19s. They carry Colt M4, select fire patrol rifles, factory new.

I don't know where you get the M4 info, the rank and file patrol don't carry those, only CIRT officers get those. CIRT also have 40mm launchers among other nice toys. At one point, they were looking at patrol rifles, but they were M16s converted to semi-auto only (these are kinda cool actually). I don't think that ever went through.

Also, undercover detectives carry Glock 26s. All officers can carry backup guns they qualify with.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    So, here's what we have so far after 4 pages of this thread (with respect to handguns only):

G17 - ISP, Anderson PD, Huntington PD, Bloomington PD, IU PD, Monroe County
    G19 - Marion Cnty Sheriff, Anderson PD, Bloomington PD, Monroe County
    G21 - Evansville PD, Brownsburg PD, Huntington Cnty Sheriff, Owen County
    G22 - Indpls PD, Indy Airport Police, Evansville PD?, Hammond PD, Elkhart County, Marion County.
    G23 - Indpls PD, Martinsville PD
    G27 - Vanderburgh Sheriff, Marion Cnty Sheriff (bkup),
    P229 (cal?) - Fishers PD, Portage PD
    P226DAK (40) - Seymour Police
    "Sig 40's" - Salem PD
    H&K 40Carmel PD, Spencer PD
    S&W M&P 40 - Terre Haute PD
    Kimbers - Whitley County

Interesting mix.

Last edited by a moderator:

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I don't know where you get the M4 info, the rank and file patrol don't carry those, only CIRT officers get those. CIRT also have 40mm launchers among other nice toys. At one point, they were looking at patrol rifles, but they were M16s converted to semi-auto only (these are kinda cool actually). I don't think that ever went through.

Also, undercover detectives carry Glock 26s. All officers can carry backup guns they qualify with.

Yes, they are M16's not M4's. I rode with an officer back in August who had a M16 in the trunk. I do believe also he did in fact say they were converted to Semi. I'll ask him next time I'm in town, going to try to ride with him again, and then see if I can get more info from him. Also, one of the CIRT trainers/members attends my church if I happen to see him I'll ask him as well.

sig-sweet

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Morgan County Sheriff carry Glock 22's and AR's for patrol rifles

We carry the 23's because of the smaller frame, the belief is they'll be better to carry CC off duty.
    The Chief at that time said since us and the county would be carrying Glock 40 cals, in case there was a shootout and we responded together, if either Dept. ran out of ammo we could share mags.........99.9.9999% just looked blankly and then everyone started laughing. I said I'll give em a mag, they can get behind me and read my Guns & Ammo until it's over............

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    So, here's what we have so far after 4 pages of this thread (with respect to handguns only):

G17 - ISP, Anderson PD, Huntington PD, Bloomington PD, IU PD, Monroe County
    G19 - Marion Cnty Sheriff, Anderson PD, Bloomington PD, Monroe County
    G21 - Evansville PD, Brownsburg PD, Huntington Cnty Sheriff, Owen County
    G22 - Indpls PD, Indy Airport Police, Evansville PD?, Hammond PD, Elkhart County, Marion County.
    G23 - Indpls PD, Martinsville PD
    G27 - Vanderburgh Sheriff, Marion Cnty Sheriff (bkup),
    P229 (cal?) - Fishers PD, Portage PD
    P226DAK (40) - Seymour Police
    "Sig 40's" - Salem PD
    H&K 40Carmel PD, Spencer PD
    S&W M&P 40 - Terre Haute PD
    Kimbers - Whitley County

Interesting mix.

Sorry, left out the caliber for Fishers PD......Sig P229 .40cal

Top Bottom