What do Indiana's Police Departments Carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrman740

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Portage
    So, here's what we have so far after 4 pages of this thread (with respect to handguns only):

G17 - ISP, Anderson PD, Huntington PD, Bloomington PD, IU PD, Monroe County
    G19 - Marion Cnty Sheriff, Anderson PD, Bloomington PD, Monroe County
    G21 - Evansville PD, Brownsburg PD, Huntington Cnty Sheriff, Owen County
    G22 - Indpls PD, Indy Airport Police, Evansville PD?, Hammond PD, Elkhart County, Marion County.
    G23 - Indpls PD, Martinsville PD
    G27 - Vanderburgh Sheriff, Marion Cnty Sheriff (bkup),
    P229 (cal?) - Fishers PD, Portage PD
    P226DAK (40) - Seymour Police
    "Sig 40's" - Salem PD
    H&K 40Carmel PD, Spencer PD
    S&W M&P 40 - Terre Haute PD
    Kimbers - Whitley County

Interesting mix.
    Sorry about that, I should have mentioned that Portage PD carries a Sig P229 in .40......

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    St. Joseph county officers I know carry Sig 40 cal Not sure on model though
    Will do some research
    Osceola PD (Town Marshalls) Carries personaly purchased weapons, I know of a deputy Marshall who has his Personal M16 (Yes a Real M16)
    They have to qualify with whatever they carry
    I carried a GP 100 back in my day

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Kokomo PD get issued Glock RTF22's in .40 S&W but may carry any personally owned pistol .380 or above w/ quals on approved list
    Howard County SD get issued Sig P226R's in 9mm
    Sheridan PD get issued Glock 22's in .40 S&W
    Hamilton County SD get issued Glock 22's in .40 S&W
    :popcorn:

SnowCountry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Marshall County and Plymouth Police carry Sig P226 in .40 caliber S&W. (Many wish they carried the Glock 21.)

PsYcHo SqUiRrEl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Greenetucky
    Bloomington Sheriff's office is funky, they carry glocks 17 or 19, but officer is allowed to carry their own personal gun on duty if they qualify with it. In that regard, I've seen H&K USP 45s, COLT 1911's, Sig 220s as duty weapons. Appears some of the older guys carry 45 acp instead of 9mm the others run.

I may be wrong, but I think Monroe County switched to the Glock 22 for their merit deputies.

I believe the mix of weapons you saw may be some of the reserve deputies. I know they used to supply their own with the requirement being ".38cal and larger".

Ellettsville PD issues Glock 22's to full time and reserve officers. Full time officers also have Remington 870 Police Magnums.

Backup weapons are supplied by the officer and are allowed if they are qualified with.

Not sure if patrol rifles have been allowed yet with the new administration. It was still in the works when I left the dept.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes, they are M16's not M4's. I rode with an officer back in August who had a M16 in the trunk. I do believe also he did in fact say they were converted to Semi. I'll ask him next time I'm in town, going to try to ride with him again, and then see if I can get more info from him. Also, one of the CIRT trainers/members attends my church if I happen to see him I'll ask him as well.

Got the info from my buddy who is a 20 year veteran of Bloomington PD and a CIRT member. He stated "Select fire, m4 colt carbines" not surplus m16's

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    St. Joseph county officers I know carry Sig 40 cal Not sure on model though
    Will do some research
    Osceola PD (Town Marshalls) Carries personaly purchased weapons, I know of a deputy Marshall who has his Personal M16 (Yes a Real M16)
    They have to qualify with whatever they carry
    I carried a GP 100 back in my day

Both Mishawaka and South Bend City police carry Sig .40s. I believe it's the 229.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    I may be wrong, but I think Monroe County switched to the Glock 22 for their merit deputies.

I believe the mix of weapons you saw may be some of the reserve deputies. I know they used to supply their own with the requirement being ".38cal and larger".

Ellettsville PD issues Glock 22's to full time and reserve officers. Full time officers also have Remington 870 Police Magnums.

Backup weapons are supplied by the officer and are allowed if they are qualified with.

Not sure if patrol rifles have been allowed yet with the new administration. It was still in the works when I left the dept.

Could be but I got the info from a 5 yr veteran on Monroe county sheriff's department. He carries a HK USP 45 acp, and he said his other buddy carries a Sig 220(same department). Whacky department but I do believe both of those guys were offered Glock 22's by their department and declined, purchased their own duty weapons.

linkinpark9812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lake County, Town of Munster
    Munster PD in Lake County has AR-15's in there cars and SUVs (most of them).

Not sure about their sidearm, but I am almost 100% sure it is NOT a Glock.

Judging by the expensive cars (2009 CVPI with mustang-like engines and 2009 chevy tahoes), AR-15's, expensive laptops in cars, expensive dash cams and such, maybe they carry Sigs! :)

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Alexandria PD- Glock 17s (just traded out from troublesome G23s)
    Anderson PD- G17s and G19s (traded out Glock .40s). I think they issue +P ammo.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Yep back in the day when I was associated with the Marion County Sheriffs Department we were issued a Glock-22, mine was MC092SD, I carried a Glock-27 BUG, but had to re-qualify with a Glock-19, before I could carry it of duty, had a beat up 870 shotgun too....I miss those days we carried 165gr federal Hydra shocks in .40 of course.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    That's easy...it's called a "Ballista"

how about a spear shooting crossbow!:dunno::rockwoot:

p6170030.jpg

Top Bottom