• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    And how long does property sit in the "property room" and after that time passes then what happens to it?

It depends on what it is. Things entered as found property (not as evidence) are sometimes given to charities (like bicycles), sometimes auctioned, and sometimes destroyed. IMPD doesn't auction guns, so an unclaimed firearm would be destroyed. As far as how long it sits, I have no idea. I only deal with property entered as evidence in my position.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    Coincidentally, I actually found a wallet, iPhone and car keys in a Starbucks bathroom a week ago. I told the manager and he took care of it. I am thinking the guy that lost all of this wasn't going far.

A loaded gun however is a much more serious and if in any kind of store, I would have called in someone from the staff, even if found in a car park outside a store, I would find the store staff. There has to be a property owner if it is elsewhere, or call the police if it was on a road/sidewalk, say.

accent man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2014
    West side
    Ok, let me be very clear here.
    #1 YES I did find this gun in a restaurant bathroom on the toilet paper tissue holder. I believe the person was doing the #2 and forgot to put it back on, holster and all.
    #2 Yes it was loaded.
    #3 Yes it was a glock 36.
    #4 I took it home to make it safe to take it to the police department. I had it unloaded and in a carry case to take it in. I didn't want to be harassed for entering a police department with a loaded gun in hand.
    #5 They had been notified of the lost gun.
    #6 The individual now has the gun and called me, thanking me for returning it.
    #7 I will not say that it belonged to a person that should no better, wink wink. But I can say he was thoroughly embarrassed and has received some bad response for this.
    #8 I have learned a lot from this, mostly anyone can make a mistake and sometimes mistakes turn out ok.

I'm happy that all of this came out ok and this thread has received more attention then any other that I have posted under my other name.
    My good deed has been done. I feel well with my actions and the outcome. I can sleep well tonight. Sorry if I ruffled any bodies feathers or p----d them off. I felt this was very serious and we all need to be careful.
    Jim

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    His OTHER NAME?
    Oh yeah I totally believe all this now.
    And I am so happy that you got the attention that you deserved.
    I look forward to more exciting posts under your new name.
    40 posts to go

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    Also we gun owners complain when a store doesn't want us to carry there. If people who own guns are this negligent, I can see their viewpoint. I'd hate to see how the news would have played it if a kid got the gun instead, and it went"BANG"!

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    Throw away guns? I saw this movie one time, and we know movies have to be true. State law.

If drop guns were as widely used as alleged, I'd have a higher body count.

a couple years ago me and a friend were on craigslist classified looking for oddjobs to make a bit of extra cash. one of the jobs we did was to clean out a garage of a retired police officer. he said we could keep anything we wanted, everything else was trash. of the things we found and kept, an old throwaway, and home-made club made from a metal pipe, with a lead ball at the end wrapped in electrical tape.

not saying its common, but i can say firsthand i know the rotten ones are out there.

and to op, just by taking it home, it seemed like you had bad intentions and planned to keep it. Once reality set in that the gun could have been used in a crime or reported stolen you came to your senses and turned it in. next time just do the right thing from the start :cool:

iceman4226

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Bloomington
    GGG's OOO Pete i starting reading this post and we dont know if it was true or not maybe it was maybe it wasn't. We dont know if he knew what the right thing to was or not. One thing I got out of this post was there was a lot of smart ass replys. Thats the first time I have felt this way about any post I have read on here.:dunno:

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    One thing I got out of this post was there was a lot of smart ass replys. Thats the first time I have felt this way about any post I have read on here.:dunno:
    Hang around and read more. There's quite a bit of it. But, it's the internet, what do you do? There's also bad grammar and spelling which really bugs me.

i could have posted about losing my Glock 36 when I had to poo. Someone ran in yelling my car was being broken into so I ran outside with my pants half fastened. But, I didn't.

I am am curious how he got the gun back to a complete stranger without the police. Maybe he waved it around in the restaurant, knew the guy or posted a sign on the back of his truck [Lost Glock? Call 555-555-5555]

Last edited:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    And how long does property sit in the "property room" and after that time passes then what happens to it?

Like BBI said, it depends on what it is. And like he said, guns are usually destroyed.

First turn it in. The butt you save may be your own.
    Second , reading this thread why are LEO's dodging the answer to the big question? If I find a gun, turn it in, it's clean and no one claims it, as the finder , do I get to keep it?
    Just a simple answer, do I get to keep it?

I'm not dodging any questions. I don't know the answer, but I can call and find out.

a couple years ago me and a friend were on craigslist classified looking for oddjobs to make a bit of extra cash. one of the jobs we did was to clean out a garage of a retired police officer. he said we could keep anything we wanted, everything else was trash. of the things we found and kept, an old throwaway, and home-made club made from a metal pipe, with a lead ball at the end wrapped in electrical tape.

not saying its common, but i can say firsthand i know the rotten ones are out there.

So by having a metal pipe with a lead ball wrapped in tape on it, he's a rotten cop? Do you know for a fact that he used it to beat people or are you just assuming that from your brief interaction with him?

Nevernoluck2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Peru
    Wow!!! I'm not the best guy in the world or around here but darn if I "found" a gun I sure wouldn't try to keep it, I do have some morals

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Yep, to the police I say.....but I see the concern. Regardless of why it was stashed, dropped, forgotten, etc... its pretty damn ignorant. A loaded gun is unlike any other piece of property. People drop, misplace, lose all kinds of things.....but a loaded gun?????? You have to be kidding me!!!!!!!!

I dont know what kind of "public place" this was found in, but this could VERY easily have turned out different with a kid finding it and pulling the trigger. Pretty sad.

Now we're venturing into the gun as an inanimate object debate.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Yes, people DO "just loose guns". Especially in bathrooms.

This goes for COPS as well. Lots and lots and lots of people who carry a gun on a regular basis take it out or off to use the bathroom, including those who should know better.

Police officers, prison guards, armed security, CCW holders, leave their guns in rest stop or conveniece store bathrooms on a fairly regular basis - often enough that it is an inside joke in many professional circles.

It sounds crude, and I am not trying to be obscene, but a lesson in "how to take a crap while carrying a gun" should be part of the ruberick for those CCW classes, as well as department training programs, but apparently its not high speed enough.

Last edited:

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Don't folks leave guns in bathrooms so they can get by the body guard pat down, then go to the bathroom, come out with the weapon, and shoot the rival boss? Hollywood is in my DNA.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    You need to check with police because what if it's a stolen or firearm used in a crime? Call in and have the weapons serial number checked out.

You don't know that the owner doesn't deserve his property back. The one thing you do know, it's not yours.

Common sense would dictate you turn it over to the police.

I would have never posted this in a public forum. I will not think for you or tell you how to act.
    But you know what the right thing to do is. Right???

All of these. The thing I find interesting is you had to ask. Or you were just trolling to find out what some would say. You aren't an undercover LEO by chance are you? :evilangel:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom