• ...and so much more!
  • Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Ok, I was wondering if anyone else has bought a handgun they later regretted owning? You know, the one you think about or look at and go "what was I thinking?" :):

I'll start. In the 1990's I bought a Republic Arms Patriot 45. Yikes, that thing was awful. I could only get 2-3 shots off before it jammed and that was on a good day. I gave (yes gave) it away because I didn't want to rip anyone off by selling it. What a piece of junk. :rolleyes:

How about you? What's your handgun horror story?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Bought a Wilson ADP, a 9mm based on the Heritage Stealth, but supposedly improved by the well known Wilson Combat group. Picked it up at the dealer's place, and went to their range to try it out. It quit shooting during the first mag. Dealer verified the problem and swapped it for the second one they had. It made it through the first mag, and quit during the second. Both went back to Wilson for repair.

Got the first one back about 2 weeks later, took it out and ran a couple of mags through it and was happy. That was until a week later when I took a friend to the dealer's range to show him a couple of pistols, the ADP included. Loaded a mag, pulled the trigger and nothing. Being striker fired, I could tell it again was not reseting the striker when chambering the round.

Back to the dealer it went, and when it came back, it went into my safe, never to come out again. I don't trust it, and am not the kind of person who could sell a possibly defective firearm to anyone.

Feels nice in my hand though as a paperweight!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Never had a bad handgun. I saved up until I could get something good. I never bought junk or something that a kitchen table "gunsmith" had modified. Buying a low line and trying to have it properly converted to what you really wanted to begin with costs a lot more in the long run.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Taurus PT140 Millennium Pro-- my first carry gun. :n00b:

But I've since settled on Glocks, and don't buy many handguns, so my results may not be typical.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Hi Point C9. Loaned a buddy $100 bucks against one, and was really happy when he took it back off my hands. Gotta love a polymer turd that out weighs my Glock 17 by 7 ounces, and holds nine fewer rounds. The other one I can think of was a J22 my dad gave me. I could maybe squeeze off 3 rounds before the damn thing would jam.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Very thankfully, I've yet to buy a turd of a gun.

I tend to buy the vast majority of stuff used, too.

There've been a few purchases / trades that I wish I'd not made, though. Those monies could've been used much better elsewhere and on different stuff.

-J-

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Star .40. always jammed, magazines had to be forcibly removed, and was ergonomically sucky..... but I got more than what I paid for it in trade in on my best handgun purchase 5 months later. I'm OK with that.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I can't think of any I "regret" buying. I regret selling plenty though

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    Helwan 9mm.
    It's a nice pistol, copy of the Beretta 1951 with different rollmarks. Except a hamfisted moron of a gunsmith has been over it.. he installed the rear sight backwards, and somehow buggered up the mechanism to the point where the slide stop backs out of the frame with each shot. Until, when the mag is emptied, the slide stop doesn't work and slide slams on the back of the magazine follower, which cracked the first time it happened.

It's sitting in my closet in a ziploc bag with rust inhibitor tabs in it. I'll dig it out and work on it one of these years, though I'm not sure what I can really DO...I should sell it to somebody as a project. Fix that, slap on new stocks and it'd be a nice gun.

The guy didn't even refinish it properly, I had to clean corrosion out of the slide serrations.

sonofadoublegun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    NW - near Munster
    Taurus 85UL - had timing issues - sprayed lead in my face with every shot. Sent it back to the factory, got it back and it had light primer strikes (wtf - right?! LOL) sent it back, came back with a double action that needed a tow truck to pull! Got rid of it as soon as could (sold with full disclosure) at a substantial loss.

then I bought a smith! :yesway:

SODG

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    XD40 the frame broke and a S&W 629 the timing was out from factory and had a hard time for them to fix it, and it never was rite.

Top Bottom