What Weapons are Illegal to Have on You?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    Yeah. It's 35-47-5-12 (b)
    As used in this section,"Chinese throwing star" means a throwing-knife,Throwing-iron,or other Knife-like weapon with blades set at different angles.

Note that it doesn't say 'and' it says 'or' which means that a throwing-knife is illegal even if it doesn't have blades set at different angles.This has been proven in court upon many convictions for possession.

I,personally have never arrested anyone for it as I think it's stupid but if my superiors told me I had to enforce it...I would be obligated to do so.

So all knives are illegal, since any of them can be thrown?

Oh yeah and link the cases please.

Last edited:

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    As used in this section,"Chinese throwing star" means a throwing-knife,Throwing-iron,or other Knife-like weapon with blades set at different angles.

Note that it doesn't say 'and' it says 'or' which means that a throwing-knife is illegal even if it doesn't have blades set at different angles.This has been proven in court upon many convictions for possession.

I,personally have never arrested anyone for it as I think it's stupid but if my superiors told me I had to enforce it...I would be obligated to do so.
    I can't for the life of me understand how anybody reads that section and concludes that throwing knives are illegal. It is pretty clear that it is not the intention of that bill to ban all throwing knives.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I can't for the life of me understand how anybody reads that section and concludes that throwing knives are illegal. It is pretty clear that it is not the intention of that bill to ban all throwing knives.

Don't read intent. Read black and white.It IS enforceable and it HAS been enforced in Indiana just like the switchblade law.

Notice I said I didn't like it. I am NOT going to enforce it but if you go to Lawrence or South Bend or some other ultra whacked out town/city/municipality then they are gonna hammer you.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Don't read intent. Read black and white.It IS enforceable and it HAS been enforced in Indiana just like the switchblade law.

Notice I said I didn't like it. I am NOT going to enforce it but if you go to Lawrence or South Bend or some other ultra whacked out town/city/municipality then they are gonna hammer you.
    I would never have read what that says and concluded that all throwing knives are banned. I really really hate many things about the law, and the fact that laws are twisted to arrest and convict people for things that lawmakers never intended to ban really ticks me off!

L-W-R-C

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Willow Branch

but it says blades set at different angles, so doesn't it mean throwing knifes with more than 1 blade not just a throwing knife with 1 blade? im not saying your wrong im just confused on what it means.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    "Chinese throwing star" means a throwing-knife,Throwing-iron,or other Knife-like weapon with blades set at different angles.

I would read that to mean a (1, 2, or 3) with (x feature)

rather than

a (1, 2) or (3 with x feature)

so I would challenge that a regular throwing knife, Throwing-iron, or other Knife-like weapon (without blades set at different angles) would not be illegal.

Just my :twocents:.

L-W-R-C

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Willow Branch

rather than

so I would challenge that a regular throwing knife, Throwing-iron, or other Knife-like weapon (without blades set at different angles) would not be illegal.

^^^that's what im thinking

rjstamp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I have a genetically attached blow gun between my two back pockets...it omits toxic gas from time to time.....its lethal!.........especially after I eat my wife's potato salad!

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN

rather than

Here's the deal. this bill banned "throwing stars" not knives. Since however jackass lawyers get involved with all laws, the bill had to define what a throwing star is. Some law enforcement officer, or some jackass prosecutor got the bright idea that the wording of this definition is hard enough to understand, that they could use this bill to arrest people for having throwing knives! Whoever came up with this idea is a scumbag and and LEO who goes along with laws being twisted in such a manner is a scumbag enabler, at the very least, if not a scumbag himself!

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    What about the body armour? Is that legal:dunno:

Yes. As long as you aren't wearing it while commiting another crime.

Whoever came up with this idea is a scumbag and and LEO who goes along with laws being twisted in such a manner is a scumbag enabler, at the very least, if not a scumbag himself!

Kinda like not being an athlete but still being an athletic supporter?

:laugh:

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Another crime? What would be the first crime I commited?:dunno::D

It becomes its own crime if worn during the commission of a felony crime.

IC 35-47-5-13
    Unlawful use of body armor
    Sec. 13. (a) As used in this section, "body armor" means bullet resistant metal or other material worn by a person to provide protection from weapons or bodily injury.

(b) A person who knowingly or intentionally uses body armor while committing a felony commits unlawful use of body armor, a Class D felony.
    As added by P.L.227-1996, SEC.1.

So it's like double or nothing. ;)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom