What Weapons are Illegal to Have on You?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    So all knives are illegal, since any of them can be thrown?

Oh yeah and link the cases please.
    It is certainly true that if that statue could be twisted to arrest somebody for carrying a throwing knife, it could be twisted to arrest somebody for carrying a butter knife. Perhaps even a nail file. I hear you can throw those too!

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    So I've heard.

Still not going to believe it though, just because somebody says there was a case that someone was "specifically" charged with carrying a throwing knife that was construed as a "throwing star".

Nope not going to believe it one bit until I see hard proof.

Last edited:

jzukjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    crawfordsville
    Chinese throwing stars

i know it's illegal to use or even collect them. But one of the useless facts i actually have in my head about them is that in wisconsin as long as you don't use them in any way, you can collect them. So if you'd want to collect them, i guess Wisconsin would be your best bet. :rockwoot:

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    So where are the cases? If there are multiple known cases with convictions couldn't the case names be given to us? I'd like to see the case law on this. It doesn't sound like they are illegal to me. But to some the 2A is only there for the Militia.

I love those statements because you can reply: "Well, that isn't true, but even if it was - Indiana defines 'milita' and if you're a male from 16 to 60 (exact ages escape me) then you're in the milita too! So where is your gun at?"

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Tasers and "stun weapons" without a LTCH.
    Indiana Code 35-47-8

I checked the link on the post saying a stun gun is illegal w/o LTCH. Didn't make sense as LTCH only applies to the "H".

"Sec. 5. (a) A person eighteen (18) years of age or over may purchase or possess a stun gun."

So per law, anyone 18 or over can carry a stun gun.

Yes anyone over 18 can carry a stun gun. But if you carry a stun weapon or taser off your property/fixed place of business you are required to have a LTCH or equivalent. Stun gun, stun weapon, and taser all have different definitions under IN code.
    IC 35-47-8-4
    Applicability of handgun provisions
    Sec. 4. IC 35-47-2 applies to an electronic stun weapon or taser.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Yes anyone over 18 can carry a stun gun. But if you carry a stun weapon or taser off your property/fixed place of business you are required to have a LTCH or equivalent. Stun gun, stun weapon, and taser all have different definitions under IN code.
    IC 35-47-8-4
    Applicability of handgun provisions
    Sec. 4. IC 35-47-2 applies to an electronic stun weapon or taser.

What are the age restrictions or are there any for pepper spray?

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Best I can tell the above is correct. I'm not even sure that pepper spray is addressed at all in IN code. If it is I can't find it. But IANAL.

It used to be in there restricting sales to civilians to the 2oz or less containers. It was repealed a few years back THANKS to Mitch Daniels. Thank you sir, seriously!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It used to be in there restricting sales to civilians to the 2oz or less containers. It was repealed a few years back THANKS to Mitch Daniels. Thank you sir, seriously!

Any idea from when to when that was in there? I'm just curious. It had to go into effect after the late 80s I'm pretty sure, because I knew a lady that carried a 8oz (I think) container of it in her purse, it was bought over the counter and she wasn't LEO.

And just to nit pick a bit. IN only allowed the sale of over 2oz containers to military? If your not military your civilian and that includes LEO. Sorry to thread jack but it is a pet peeve of mine.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It used to be in there restricting sales to civilians to the 2oz or less containers.

Was this in Texas?

Law, not familiar with this statute or the bill to repeal the statute. Do you have a cite please?

Or, was this just a company policy thang?

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Was this in Texas?

Law, not familiar with this statute or the bill to repeal the statute. Do you have a cite please?

Or, was this just a company policy thang?

Nope not Texas. It was on the books in the mid to late 90's. Since Indiana removes all of the text from the IN.gov site when a law is repealed and only leaves the numeric code and the words "Repealed", I was unable to locate it.

Timjoebillybob, I understand where you're coming from, it's the generalization used by most and probably forever will. Far as a 8 oz container, with the nozzle and room for compressed air, you're looking at a can about the size of your average pop can, maybe bigger. The 3 inch tall container most LEO's carry (Known as size MK-3) only contains 1.47oz of pepper spray (O.C.). Maybe the lady you are referring to was carrying actual Mace. My mother had a can of that about the size of your average spray paint can.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Timjoebillybob, I understand where you're coming from, it's the generalization used by most and probably forever will. Far as a 8 oz container, with the nozzle and room for compressed air, you're looking at a can about the size of your average pop can, maybe bigger. The 3 inch tall container most LEO's carry (Known as size MK-3) only contains 1.47oz of pepper spray (O.C.). Maybe the lady you are referring to was carrying actual Mace. My mother had a can of that about the size of your average spray paint can.

I'm pretty sure it was OC spray, but I could be wrong. And yeah it wasn't too much smaller than a spray can.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It was on the books in the mid to late 90's. Since Indiana removes all of the text from the IN.gov site when a law is repealed and only leaves the numeric code and the words "Repealed", I was unable to locate it.

I have the old code books from the '90s, although here at the office I only go back to 2001. I find nothing.

However, on Westlaw I did find an exemption as to the definition of "bomb" (35-41-1-4/3) at Indiana Code 35-41-1-6.6 which was added in 2000 (P.L. 104-2000).

Is this what you are referencing, Law?

IC 35-41-1-6.6
    "Dangerous gas" defined
    Sec. 6.6. "Dangerous gas", for purposes of IC 35-41-1-4.3, means a toxic chemical or its precursors that through chemical action or properties on life processes cause death or permanent injury to human beings. The term does not include the following:
    (1) Riot control agents, smoke, and obscuration materials or medical products that are manufactured, possessed, transported, or used in accordance with the laws of the United States and of this state.
    (2) Tear gas devices designed to be carried on or about the person that contain not more than one-half (1/2) ounce of the chemical.

Last edited:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Chinese throwing stars

So, since shuriken are Japanese they're ok right?:stickpoke:
    Actually shuriken come in many different shapes, not all of them have "blades set at different angles" or even blades at all.
    At least my sai, nunchucku, bo, katana and tonfa are all legal.:rockwoot:
    Somebody must have been watching too many ninja movies in the '80s.

Top Bottom