• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    We have a couple of the reusable baskets for the kuerig and usually use folgers black silk. Seems to work better than most of the packaged stuff.

I use it for tea, too. Loose leaf green tea, or just stuff a whole bag of Lipton into it with the string hanging out the front.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Grinding beans and using a French press seems like a lot of work.
    As you are seeing asking what the "best" coffee is will bring out what we "think" is the best coffee. It is very subjective. Some people will only drink Starbuck's and some abhor it.

You can go on a quest to try lot's of coffee and find a few that you like. I recently picked up some Community Coffee when I was in TN. I like it.

But I am not too fussy either. I drink Starbucks, fancy coffee shop brews, french press, pour over, and Folger's out of a drip brewer.

You tend to like coffee someone else makes better than yours. Even if it's the same stuff.:)

You don't have to grind, but if you don't go through the bag rather quickly, you will find grinding to be more flavorful. And you don't have to grind every day. You can grind enough for 3-4 days or even a week. You'd have to be quite the connoisseur to notice the difference between just ground and coffee ground a few days ago but stored in a dark, air tight container.

French Press is not to hard either, though I get good results with my pour over. Less mess, faster, good flavor.

A lot depends on how far you want to take drinking a hot beverage in the morning. Good luck on your search.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Jamaican Blue Mountain is the best coffee. I still have not found anything better than the old percolator I inherited from my mother-in-law. The drip method cannot come near the flavor of the old percolators.

This!!! I try all the coffee I can find and blue mountain coffee is the best! I love it in a French press but any brew method is great.

jzwhts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Mooresville
    Whatever my wife makes every morning. Its the best. Folgers drip. I am not too picky and my thermos is full every morning. She is awesome!!!

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I'm no coffee snob. I have a Keurig and their reusable pod. I use plain Folgers Columbian and pack it to the max and run it twice to make my 20 oz.

At work I have 12 cup dripper, the guys like Folgers Black Silk. They make it strong enough to paint with. Needs a lot of sugar to be drinkable.

Otherwise I like Dunkin' Donuts regular or Speedway Columbian if I have to buy it by the cup.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    :yesway::yesway: for BRC. I prefer darker roast coffees, French roast or Columbian roast. I'm also a cheap bastage, right now I'm using Costo's Kirkland Brand Columbian Supreamo. I make a 12 cup pot with 5 rounded scoops (2 tbsp each) and spring water. The Sumatran mentioned upthread is good as well.

Kona coffee is the best in the world, to me, but one must mortgage his right arm, leg, and left cahone...Kona coffee and fresh Hawaiian pineapple...:drool:

Most Keurig coffees taste of instant coffee to me. While better than the instant coffee that most of us know or remember, it still has that vibe to it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I find most Keurig blends to be too weak for my taste. The Newman's Own mentioned is decent, on the 6oz setting for me. Otherwise the only thing I've found strong enough for my taste is Green Mountain Double Black Diamond. I still can't use the 10oz setting, but the 6oz and 8oz come out decent. I'd like to find another method, but I vastly prefer this over standard drip, if nothing else for the convenience.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Lots of personal preference when it comes to coffee. I prefer freshly roasted Guatemalan beans a friend does up for me.

If you can't do fresh roast, I've found a whole-bean coffee at Sam's club called "Comfort Coffee". It's pretty decent and surprisingly inexpensive for what you get.

I will say this - if you've never drank anything other than pre-ground coffee from a store, then you've been drinking stale coffee your entire life.

There are lots of interesting volatile compounds in freshly roasted coffee. Once they "evaporate" those flavors are gone forever.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    In my Keurig I prefer any of the Caribou blends.

But grinding it fresh yields much more flavor. When I have time I'll grind it and run it through my French press.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Like coserman says, coffee is a pretty personal thing. For me, I like genuine blue mountain bean. I'm not particular about which plantation, but there is a difference. Darker roasts tend to taste better to me, but the lighter roasts seem to keep me going longer. I like Kona, Guatemalan and otheres. Just depends on how acidic I want my coffee that day. Grinding your own may seem like a lot of trouble, but the difference in flavor is pronounced. Try it yourself. Buy a pound of coffee. Have the shop grind half of it according to your preparation method. Wait a few days, a week or a month and check the difference for yourself.
    Pressure brewed, like an espresso machine is ok, but for everyday, I like my big french press.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm not a big fan of the free coffee in my work break room so have a Keurig in my office. I like Gevalia K cups. Give it a try before you buy another coffee maker.

As far as buying beans for home I go to this store: HTTPS://www.thecoffeebrake.com

I've been buying their in house roasted beans before the current owner bought the place in '92. They will ship too.

I can send you some to try if you want. I think they still sell some single pot sample packs.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Just bought one of these and really like it

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01E...F8&qid=1491335525&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

Otherwise you've gotta drop a good $200 to get a decent electric grinder. The main thing is it needs to be a burr, not a blade. Beyond that, you just need hot water and a French press. Although kosher salt and a wooden spoon are nice additions.

I use an electric kettle, which shuts off once a full boil is met. Since this is 10-15 degrees above optimum brewing temp, I tend to transfer it into a Pyrex measuring cup. This lets me be more precise in my grounds to water mixture, and cools the water just enough to make a better brew.

Top Bottom