• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    When using a rifle, I am open to, and use whatever I need, to get shots on target. This method has a use too.

Bottom line? All that counts, is shots on target.

I think Gabe calls it the "floating" support hand. He has written about it. Therefore, it is a valid technique.

Last edited:

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    Sorry! ... start a new thread based on the Suarez article. It's a good read and deserves it's own post.

BTW ... I should have used purple when I said it might have been taken at a three-gun match. I think those guys look like they have a greater interest in fighting than looking cool, trendy, hot, or fashionable.

so your saying we choose to run the position we do based on being trendy cool,Hot, etc.....? your wrong if you do.

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    I was taught to Point with my support had in a fight for your life setting, since it usually hits your target more than just sighting with a ghost ring. The index finger of either hand can get you to your intended target 9 times out of 10. It looks like a take on CQB and MOUT stuff that the mlitary was teaching way before OIFOEF.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    You beat me to it. Its almost like that article was tailor made for this thread.
    6a0133ec985af6970b0162fc930d15970d-pi

But even these guys are closer to a more traditional hold than the new hold in which the support arm seems artificially extended and has the support arm higher than the rifle.

The one in this picture who is closest to the new trendy hold is the second guy back, and that's simply because he's a little guy who is trying to hold a rifle which is nearly as long as he is tall.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    its not new or trendy let me give you a good example

How do you hold handgun
    vs rifle in body position we teach guys to get as high along the bore axis as possible and why do we do that

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    But even these guys are closer to a more traditional hold than the new hold in which the support arm seems artificially extended and has the support arm higher than the rifle.

The one in this picture who is closest to the new trendy hold is the second guy back, and that's simply because he's a little guy who is trying to hold a rifle which is nearly as long as he is tall.

Agreed. Let me give you a quote from Don Robison, one of our Instructors and a member here.

A lot of people (incorrectly in my opinion) teach the forward grip with shoulder articulation to get the thumb high rather than wrist articulation. When you roll the shoulder to get the thumb higher you create both tension and a blind spot.

elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    What is the hold that the Austrailian Spec. ops. use where the supporting hand is gripping over the top of the barrel, with his thumb. Also, Larry Vickers show 'tactical firearms' one of those guys used a hold like this.

Last edited:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    so your saying we choose to run the position we do based on being trendy cool,Hot, etc.....? your wrong if you do.

My mistake. I keep forgetting to use purple. That was a facetious comment ... mild jab at those who think that those are the only possible reasons (to be trendy, cool, hot, etc.) for the "new" technique. "New" being defined as something they are not familiar with.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    My mistake. I keep forgetting to use purple. That was a facetious comment ... mild jab at those who think that those are the only possible reasons (to be trendy, cool, hot, etc.) for the "new" technique. "New" being defined as something they are not familiar with.

Easy day:yesway:

1Spider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    Good to know that there are other shooting styles out there even if it does look retarded. I shoot just fine the old fashion way.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    OK, forgive my obvious ignorance, but "OIFOEF?"

Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation Enduring Freedom I believe.

I am in no way an expert, especially when it comes to rifle. However, I feel I'm fairly proficient with a shotgun (in any aspect, they are complicated tools =p) and I use this technique. I find on days where I've spent several hours shooting my left shoulder will be sore because it seems to mitigate the recoil well. I also have a lot of broken parts in my right arm so techniques that require your arms to be tight for long periods of time dont mesh with me when it comes to shooting a rifle. I think the biggest problem is people hyper extend their arm or they lurch forward with their body on their support side and it ends up being uncomfortable. But I'm just a college brat so what do I know? :twocents:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

I think the arm elevated to be even with or higher than the rifle is exaggerated and probably not providing the benefit people think, but obviously everyone's got to figure out what works.. I basically take my pistol stance, move the wh fwd and the sh back, And it works real well. I end up w. pretty much what Jerry does in the vids above. Very neutral.

-rvb

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    I predict that it will not "catch on" nor sell ...

... very many new parts-attachments. Observe most Soviet-bloc wood-furnished AK-types, and the fore-end looks designed exactly for this hold. So maybe it us NOT all that new. On a FA gun it would certainly inhibit muzzle-rise, while still allowing pretty accurate traversing shots. Haven't tried it; can't knock it, but it appears a bit un-natural. The AK and SKS were originally designed for European shooters; observe how Viet Cong and NVA shooters in films of that day hold those weapons: proves it's not that new an idea. EBG

Last edited:

fastang50

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    I don't "get it", but I may have to try it. Most of my shooting is field positions, so to speak. I can't imagine needing to shoot in the style that this seems aimed at, a la run-n-gun. But you never know.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I tried it as well and it's awkward and does not work for me. I find that if my weak side hand is that far out on the for end, the rifle tends to sway. I like to keep my elbow tight into my body for better support. If it works for you use it, not every technique works for every shooter.

Top Bottom