• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Ironically, this is what I did in paintball like 15 years ago (holy crap...15 years) to fire faster, except I shot lefty, used the left hand far forward to hold the gun firmly to my shoulder and that loosened up my right hand for rapid fire. I'm not saying it was right for regular shooting but it worked for paintball.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Surprised no one as asked this question.:dunno:

Is THAT shooting style "Mil-Spec"? Seen alot of videos of US servicemen shooting M4's and NONE of them used that shooting style.:rolleyes:

Do we need a "chart" on Mil-Spec shooting styles?:D

NO! Thats where this whole thing started. My mom sent me a gun magazine in the mail and it had a picture of some people doing this. We all discussed it and none of us liked it (and just so no one calls me a POG, were all grunts, not trying to brag, just sayin, cause I know that could alter peoples thoughts). Ive actually been through alot of pretty high speed shooting schools and I had never seen or heard of this till that magazine.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    We all discussed it and none of us liked it

Did you actually try it, or just discuss it?

Its tough to say one way or the other if you've never even given it a chance. Try it out next time. If its faster and more efficient then you'll be a better shooter. If its slower and not as efficient then at least you'll understand why and you can definitively say it doesn't work for you.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Did you actually try it, or just discuss it?

Its tough to say one way or the other if you've never even given it a chance. Try it out next time. If its faster and more efficient then you'll be a better shooter. If its slower and not as efficient then at least you'll understand why and you can definitively say it doesn't work for you.

Yes, we did try it. Not shooting yet, but with presentation drills.

BUT... I dont know what made me remember this but when I was in Isreal their Army was showing us to shoot like this cause thats how they do it. I cant beleive that just popped into my head. But ya, no one liked it then either and they did make us shoot like that on their ranges. So I guess I have tried it and just forgot. But were just used to being told to keep our elbows in as tight as possible and this is completely contradicting to that.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    Surprised no one as asked this question.:dunno:

Is THAT shooting style "Mil-Spec"? Seen alot of videos of US servicemen shooting M4's and NONE of them used that shooting style.:rolleyes:

Do we need a "chart" on Mil-Spec shooting styles?:D

actually we have a lot of MIL guys shooting that way and just trained some more of them how to as well:ar15:

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    I also shot in a LEO 3 gun a few weeks back where one of the scorekeepers was also a trainer. I can't remember his name or what company he worked for. He was opposed to this style because he said it put too much of your body away from center and it would greatly inhibit your ability to maintain balance if engaged up close. I can definitely see that in it as well. Nothing is 100% though. Just have to find your niche I suppose.

WOW is he so far off base its not even funny...

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Like was said in the posted video and we tell our trainees, "it's A way" so you can take it or leave it. If you're a proponent of this technique don't get all bent out of shape if people don't like it or have contrasting opinions.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Here's one that should throw some traditionalists into a tizzy.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6tg_uVSqKA[/ame]

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Interesting that this popped in my inbox today.

If you scroll halfway down the page, you'll see an old photograph of some soldiers using this "new (and trendy) shooting form." Picture looks pretty dated but then again, what do I know? It could have been taken last week at a three gun match.

Personally, I say use what helps you accomplish the task at hand.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Interesting that this popped in my inbox today.

If you scroll halfway down the page, you'll see an old photograph of some soldiers using this "new (and trendy) shooting form." Picture looks pretty dated but then again, what do I know? It could have been taken last week at a three gun match.

Personally, I say use what helps you accomplish the task at hand.

You beat me to it. Its almost like that article was tailor made for this thread.
    6a0133ec985af6970b0162fc930d15970d-pi

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Sorry! ... start a new thread based on the Suarez article. It's a good read and deserves it's own post.

BTW ... I should have used purple when I said it might have been taken at a three-gun match. I think those guys look like they have a greater interest in fighting than looking cool, trendy, hot, or fashionable.

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    This method works very well for me. I'm a larger guy with broad shoulders and long arms. Shooting by gripping the magwell or a vertical foregrip doesn't work for me at all. I find my body to be too compacted for proper control of the weapon.
    I adopted this style, and have seen a very real improvement to my target aquisition/ transfer performance. The only thing I can really add is that using this on a carbine length forend if pretty pointless. Its far more uncomfortable than gripping the magwell and offers virtually no increased speed.

Top Bottom