• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    I tried it as well and it's awkward and does not work for me. I find that if my weak side hand is that far out on the for end, the rifle tends to sway. I like to keep my elbow tight into my body for better support. If it works for you use it, not every technique works for every shooter.

How are you holding it is the key and how far, you have more sway holding magwell or elbow down in most cases we show this to students in classes a lot also varies on the stance as well like i said its not for everyone but there are ways to be shown and tweaked in classes by the inst, other than just trying it

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The questions (followed by the criticism, both some valid as well as some not so much) about this rifle hold seems to make a "circuit" around different online forums.

When I started shooting rifle back in the mid 90s, I had a hold with my support hand pretty far forward. Then in the early 2000s I switched to a magwell hold (for a variety of reasons). Since then I've gone back to getting my support hand as far forward as I can and I try to keep consistency between my "grip" on the foreend and how I use my support hand on a pistol.

One thing that can't be disputed is the physics involved. The farther forward your hand is, the longer your lever to moving the business end of the rifle. That means you can move and rotate the rifle more quickly with the same amount of force. Just as important, you also have a longer lever for stopping the rifle where you want it as well.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    One thing that can't be disputed is the physics involved. The farther forward your hand is, the longer your lever to moving the business end of the rifle. That means you can move and rotate the rifle more quickly with the same amount of force. Just as important, you also have a longer lever for stopping the rifle where you want it as well.

However, the farther forward your hand is, the more mass you have out toward the forward end of the rifle. Also, the longer the "lever" you create by extending your support arm, the larger the movements required to move the rifle.

My biggest gripe with this hold when I've tried it is that your support hand no longer "supports" the front of the rifle, as you are no longer under the front of the rifle holding it up, but instead have the "support" hand above the plane of the rifle, and all of the weight of the rifle 'hanging' from your weak hand at the same time your support shoulder is twisted and stressed abnormally.

The few times I've tried it, my arm was so sore after a very short time on the range that I had to shoot the rest of the day using supported positions.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    However, the farther forward your hand is, the more mass you have out toward the forward end of the rifle. Also, the longer the "lever" you create by extending your support arm, the larger the movements required to move the rifle.

My biggest gripe with this hold when I've tried it is that your support hand no longer "supports" the front of the rifle, as you are no longer under the front of the rifle holding it up, but instead have the "support" hand above the plane of the rifle, and all of the weight of the rifle 'hanging' from your weak hand at the same time your support shoulder is twisted and stressed abnormally.

The few times I've tried it, my arm was so sore after a very short time on the range that I had to shoot the rest of the day using supported positions.

then you have been taught it wrong or tried it without a understanding of the grip and stance and the upper body positions the support hand is on plane with the bore of the rifle like my hand gun stance and hold
    if your bladed off like a marksmanship position your support side can be twisted is squared up you shouldn't be hyper extended

the gun is supported just fine why hold it different than do a handgun do you support your handgun from the underside at full extension

here is two videos one is a with a rifle length forend and a carbine length
    showing the control

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GennHr3KpQw&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3KFeoFt9Fw

while they don't show the transition speed there are enough videos of guys and myself doing it that aid for a lot of shooters who try this they need to be taught the stance and grip, that said not one ttps will work for all shooters and all guns

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The only mass you're pushing farther out is your arm. The rifle's geometry and moment of inertia don't change. You're changing the location on the rifle where you apply the force, which changes the moment arm/lever arm.

If you're not able to support the gun properly, then you're not doing this in any of the ways that work. Seeing it and mimicking it are not always a successful way to assess something.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    The only mass you're pushing farther out is your arm. The rifle's geometry and moment of inertia don't change. You're changing the location on the rifle where you apply the force, which changes the moment arm/lever arm.

If you're not able to support the gun properly, then you're not doing this in any of the ways that work. Seeing it and mimicking it are not always a successful way to assess something.

So well put your so smart:D

Top Bottom