What's with the glut of ARs in the classies?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think you guys covered all the reasons:
    Ammo pricing, ammo is out there, you just have to pay up for it right now.
    People that have a few extra and have figured out now may be a good time to move them.
    Rifles that were purpose built, yet not used for that "purpose" or used at all.

A couple years ago you almost couldn't give one away.
    So if you're on the fence with selling an extra one, now is probably the time to do it.
    I would use gunbroker if you really want to sell one.
    The market on this forum is very slim, as everyone wants a steal, or already have 3 or more.
    Gunner, this may be the post that gets me to list mine. At least test the waters. I'll do it first here to give Ingoer's the first shot. If I don't get any bites, I'll try elsewhere. Or just leave it in the safe until they become unobtanium. Then it will sell.

I think you are right, most members are probably set or they want to buy an inexpensive one.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I think you guys covered all the reasons:
    Ammo pricing, ammo is out there, you just have to pay up for it right now.
    People that have a few extra and have figured out now may be a good time to move them.
    Rifles that were purpose built, yet not used for that "purpose" or used at all.

A couple years ago you almost couldn't give one away.
    So if you're on the fence with selling an extra one, now is probably the time to do it.
    I would use gunbroker if you really want to sell one.
    The market on this forum is very slim, as everyone wants a steal, or already have 3 or more.
    This is pretty much it. Most of the ingoer's that peruse the classifieds are pretty savvy buyers (i.e. cheap bastards lol). If it's a really good deal and everybody knows it, it will be snapped up pretty quick, if not it sits getting bumped in perpetuity it seems.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I have one for sale built and signed by Harleyrider. I mean, you can't read, it, but I promise it's his signature. Looking for 15k or a late model Silverado. Don't try to low-ball me, I know what I have...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You just never know my friend. It will sell. Just might take some time.
    Try a sale/trade combo if straight up selling does not work for you.
    Speaking as someone who only has a couple, and is not an aficionado, I might expect an all stock AR to be easier to sell mostly because it is easier for a prospective buyer to determine fair value. The world of upgrades and improvements is so wide that trying to put a value on those, or even decide if it is something I would want, becomes more work than I want to put into it -especially in light of moving toward build over buy (which could become more of a PIA given the stolen election)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I never knew the guns I buy should be considered investments!

I don't even know what I have in some of them. I price against the market when I buy but never really keep track of anything.
    When you do as much to them as some of us do it is easy to run In your head how silly you got with this or that one. I tend to get silly/stupid with all of them these days.
    Nope. I never “make” any money and if I Break Even It’s a good deal

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I never knew the guns I buy should be considered investments!

I don't even know what I have in some of them. I price against the market when I buy but never really keep track of anything.
    Nothing that is illiquid ever makes a good investment. Whether it is real estate or classic cars or even precious stones, if you need to find the right buyer or the right market to get full value it isn't a good investment. In all the above categories I buy what pleases me and resale value doesn't enter into it, although I do wish to buy at a fair price

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    When you do as much to them as some of us do it is easy to run In your head how silly you got with this or that one. I tend to get silly/stupid with all of them these days.
    I don't think I've ever made money or even broke even on a deal. I've pretty much taken a hit on every one of them for pretty much the same reason.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I have changed optic setup on the 6920 at least 5 times. We're not supposed to go in the red? News to me.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Since demand(especially by those hoarding/flipping their items) in the gun/ammo buying world is driven by reaction to political news of the day, it is possible that AR15s are being listed in anticipation of both Senate Republican candidates winning their races. If this happens, then significant gun control laws affecting our access to firearms and ammunition is off the table for now.

The demand for firearms and ammunition will cool off and prices will come down. It won't happen right away but the peak has been hit in 2020 and it will slide a little lower from here on out. This is the last chance those who bought guns/ammo have to move their items if they were hoping for a rapid return on their money. My proof? Where I work, I regularly saw individuals buying because they felt Democrats were going to enact significant gun control laws and the value of what they held would triple or quadruple in price. Values/demand of some items will slide downward if Republicans keep control of the Senate.

Of course, if the Georgia races go the other way, demand for those items will soar to insane levels.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I can't get a lower ! I have a extra upper and no lower lol don't want to switch lowers back and forth but may have no choice. lol

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't think I've ever made money or even broke even on a deal. I've pretty much taken a hit on every one of them for pretty much the same reason.
    The only guns I could sell for more than I paid are the ones I won't sell. Everything else gets sold for less money with a couple exceptions. I consider that my usage fee and the cost associated with the hobby.

Top Bottom