When did Amazon Prime delivery turn into 5-6 days?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Recently I turned to Walmart and Chewy to get things in a timely manner.
    I use Walmart a lot also, but they have an annoying habit of delivering a few random items by doordash the same day even when I didn't ask for them that way. Then I feel obligated to tip, but if I wanted to pay extra, I would not have opted for the free shipping with $35.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It looks like we are back to shopping the Interwebs again?

Maybe Amazon will notice their sales dip and react accordingly?

I made light of the 'rona excuse above, but the employee shortage has real merit. Will we ever stop paying people to stay home?

Reactions: Leo

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Maybe Amazon will notice their sales dip and react accordingly?

Is it a Sales Dip or have Amazon sales increased 1000% because everybody is ordering online because THEY don't want to go "Out" during COVID ... without a proportional increase in staffing this would directly cause delays ?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is it a Sales Dip or have Amazon sales increased 1000% because everybody is ordering online because THEY don't want to go "Out" during COVID ... without a proportional increase in staffing this would directly cause delays ?
    I agree, but can they sustain it?

This thread is just one example of fed up customers, looking for a better alternative.

I haven't paid close attention, but WIBC is advertising for some online only warehouse type club, so someone sees the opportunity.

I think the biggest problem for Amazon's competition will be the free/fast shipping issue. Even with their problems, everyone else pales to Amazon.

Ebay comes the closest to matching the fast shipping of Amazon, but you are at the mercy of individual merchants to actually do it. Sometimes they do, sometimes not.

Reactions: Leo

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    I think the biggest problem for Amazon's competition will be the free/fast shipping issue. Even with their problems, everyone else pales to Amazon.
    I believe that the biggest problem is that if they become successful, the cash rich behemoth that is Amazon will simply buy them without as much as a single objection of the “anti-monopoly” government due to the deep pockets.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Yeah...

I also remember spending an entire Saturday bored out of my mind as I was dragged around by my Dad to every hardware store in town testing vacuum tubes from our console TV. Then helping him load that heavy MF'r into the truck to take the TV place... Then having no TV for 2 weeks... Then just having to buy a new TV anyhow.

No one was "happy" about any of it as I recall. Today we'd just click the button and the new TV would appear the next day.

Joke is on them. I order whatever I needed for $1 and then $34 of canned goods. Then they get to pay someone to haul around 20 pounds of soup to my house "for free". Around here, that usually means same-day delivery too. So a local person in my community picks the stuff off of the shelf (that someone else local stocks), puts it in bags, and physically drives it to my house. There's no possible way Wally make much on it.

As I said upstream, I try to make it hurt for them as much as possible. If it's not canned goods, then it's motor oil or something else insanely big or heavy.
    50lb bag of dog food lol.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    50lb bag of dog food lol.

Man... I could really use some snacks this week..

Oh yeah, that danged water softener needs filled again!

1629652999291.png

10/10, I would legit place that order. If I needed 10 bags of salt, I'd wait a week and place the same order again. You guys that hate Walmart, Amazon, etc are simply doing it wrong. :)

ETA: Bonus points for that order because it appears the Cheetos are probably same-day delivery since they don't say 2-day. That means some poor SOB is going to bring you a single bag of Cheetos today, and a bag of Doritos and 200lbs of salt tomorrow. No shipping charges.

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I've also mentioned my philosophy on here before of making Amazon suffer as much as possible by keeping me as a customer, hence the insane number of orders. I will intentionally not group items, wait a day between orders for stuff I know I need all at the same time, etc, etc just to make them waste as many resources on me as possible.

I do the same thing to Sam's. Plus membership = a bazillion orders from me every year shipped "free". If they stopped being woke idiots, I'd stop punishing them.
    Have you considered the fact that you and others like you are making the problem greater than it otherwise would be and slowing delivers for ALL of us. :bash:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Man... I could really use some snacks this week..

Oh yeah, that danged water softener needs filled again!

View attachment 154496

10/10, I would legit place that order. If I needed 10 bags of salt, I'd wait a week and place the same order again. You guys that hate Walmart, Amazon, etc are simply doing it wrong. :)
    They won't deliver that kind of stiff here. You have to go to the store itself. Country living thing.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Have you considered the fact that you and others like you are making the problem greater than it otherwise would be and slowing delivers for ALL of us. :bash:

This is probably the wrong thread for my ranting on this topic in general, but I've been chastised multiple times before on INGO for even being an Amazon or Walmart customer at all (I was roasted, HARD, when Walmart banned ammo sales). So... INGO wants it both ways, and as usual, I will simply do it however I want.

With that said... Good. My entire goal is to make the system suffer. If Walmart, Amazon, etc like donating to communist organizations so much, let's see how they like the way I seize the means of production. Hopefully I can cost them all of the money from my orders, the money from your order, and lost customers who are angry because I'm reducing the quality of their services. Reducing the level of everyone to the worst available outcome makes everything equitable for all of us. Isn't that what they want?

Anyhow... I prefaced all of this with the fact that none of my orders are actually slowed down and I'm intentionally trying to burden the system almost as much as I can. So... If your orders are slow, I'm probably not the reason despite my best efforts.

They won't deliver that kind of stiff here. You have to go to the store itself. Country living thing.

You may be surprised what they will deliver though. 10 years ago when I started doing this out of pure convenience I'd order TP, PT, etc just so I wouldn't have to fill half my cart with a single item. They wouldn't deliver any food at all back then. Maybe 5 years ago they'd let you start ordering canned goods, and then it cascaded from there. Before Covid, they wouldn't drive me over a bag of chips or softener salt.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Seems to me Amazon states it’s a suggested delivery time frame when you call them out on it.

Another company too big to care, so I care not to do business with them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Package arrived on time just a little bit ago. 20210822_154007.jpg

Amazon may screw up more, with their massive size and the lockdown employee crisis.

They still get it right a lot of the time. And they have set the standard for those other lazy assed shippers, who were afraid to work weekends.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I order tons & tons of stuff on amazon with prime. I have noticed sometimes the vendor takes more time to ship it , but it is two days form the time it is shipped. i am even getting stuff delivered on sundays.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Package arrived on time just a little bit ago. View attachment 154530

Amazon may screw up more, with their massive size and the lockdown employee crisis.

They still get it right a lot of the time. And they have set the standard for those other lazy assed shippers, who were afraid to work weekends.
    At least your driver had the courtesy to pull off the road versus leaving it in the road around a curb in a 55 mph zone, despite a huge driveway to pull into.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    At least your driver had the courtesy to pull off the road versus leaving it in the road around a curb in a 55 mph zone, despite a huge driveway to pull into.
    The drivers are hardly ever the same here, but they do a decent job overall.

Speaking of setting the delivery standard, the pictures of the package setting on the porch or by the door are great.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    The drivers are hardly ever the same here, but they do a decent job overall.

Speaking of setting the delivery standard, the pictures of the package setting on the porch or by the door are great.
    Must be a Northern thing lol. I can tell you that the body shop that does the work for local jurisdiction, and THP always has at least 3 or 4 of their vans there. Anything from rear end damage to ripping the roofs off.
    Be glad you have had good luck with them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Must be a Northern thing lol. I can tell you that the body shop that does the work for local jurisdiction, and THP always has at least 3 or 4 of their vans there. Anything from rear end damage to ripping the roofs off.
    Be glad you have had good luck with them.
    I keep waiting for one of them to back into one of my barns. They never do, must have decent backup cameras?

UPS and Fedex nearly always back in, Amazon never does. :scratch:

Side note - I have had obvious contractors deliver amazon packages on a Sunday. Grey haired couple, unloading packages from a personal vehicle. I don't care for that much, but at this time don't want to give further excuse to delivery delays.

I did pass along to Amazon, early in their delivery days, that my security did not care for unmarked delivery vehicles.

Top Bottom