When did Amazon Prime delivery turn into 5-6 days?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I keep waiting for one of them to back into one of my barns. They never do, must have decent backup cameras?

UPS and Fedex nearly always back in, Amazon never does. :scratch:

Side note - I have had obvious contractors deliver amazon packages on a Sunday. Grey haired couple, unloading packages from a personal vehicle. I don't care for that much, but at this time don't want to give further excuse to delivery delays.

I did pass along to Amazon, early in their delivery days, that my security did not care for unmarked delivery vehicles.
    Funny our security feels the same way, we have a sign about 25 feet in front of the Gate LGD do not approach! Yet despite repeated instruction our Amazon driver insist on going up to the gate and putting it on the other side. Which makes no sense as there is plenty of room in front of the gate, and we always put in special instructions do not approach gate.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Funny our security feels the same way, we have a sign about 25 feet in front of the Gate LGD do not approach! Yet despite repeated instruction our Amazon driver insist on going up to the gate and putting it on the other side. Which makes no sense as there is plenty of room in front of the gate, and we always put in special instructions do not approach gate.
    Years ago I had a 1/4 shepard and 3/4 doberman no one would come near our fence unless my wife or I were there to calm him down. Not really mean but very protective of us and his territory. Jim.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    We have a half-wall around the porch, which makes it very nice for deliveries because if they are on or near the porch, they cannot be seen from the street.
    1629722596561.png

My Amazon delivery instructions clearly state to leave the package near the front door in a manner that it will not be visible from the street--NOT on top of tables or chairs. Much of the time the drivers walk up to the edge of the wall and toss the package onto the first chair they can reach, which is the ONE you can see from the street.

I had one driver last week that was so anal about following my instructions that he actually stuffed a small package under my doormat. It acted like a doorstop and I could not open my front door from the inside. Had to go out the back door, walk around to the front, and get the package out.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Due to something up thread specifically calling out softener salt I looked into letting Amazon lug those 40 pound bags for me. I looked them up on Amazon and sure enough a 40 pound bag for $23-$34 dependent on supplier. Of course I can get the same bag at Menards for about $7.50 so I think I'll forego the "free" shipping and continue to lug my own bags.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Due to something up thread specifically calling out softener salt I looked into letting Amazon lug those 40 pound bags for me. I looked them up on Amazon and sure enough a 40 pound bag for $23-$34 dependent on supplier. Of course I can get the same bag at Menards for about $7.50 so I think I'll forego the "free" shipping and continue to lug my own bags.
    Holy crap! That's crazy! I get mine at Aldi for under 5 bucks a bag.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Shipping companies are the bane of my existence. We bought a waterproof dropbox for packages, it has a very obvious sign on it saying to lift the lid and deposit parcels within. And I get stuff like this:

1.jpg
    2.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nice! I've been meaning to give Aldi a try.
    I was getting them at Walmart for a little over 5 bucks I think, but the one on 31 South started being out of them a lot. I happened to notice them at Aldi one time and have been getting them there ever since. At the one near me, they're near the paper towels/toilet paper.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    More fuel for my no driver theory...

This was the response to my comment about orders delayed the minute they clear the warehouse door:
    "Cameramonkey, I drive a semi. Amazon loads don’t pay hardly more then the cost of fuel. So most of us drivers refuse to run them."

And more info:

Amazon barely pays enough to keep a truck on the road. They sub out most all deliveries so the owner of the truck is responsible for the drivers pay and benefits while Amazon pays peanuts. I did ot for awhile, not only is the pay low the driver has to load their truck, sometimes skids would be in several locations in the warehouse causing extra time that is not paid as Amazon pays by the mile. So if the driver has to spend an extra hour doing the work Amazon employees should do you are already in the hole.

Last edited:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

There is a local company that has a "we fill 'em up" service. I called them when I first moved in and it was like $15-20 a bag. For the first year I was here, I just bought them at the local ACE for regular-ish prices, so about 1/4-1/3 of that.

Fast forward a year and my landlord just decides they're going to provide salt (guessing they had other properties where people weren't filling the softeners)... they use the $15-20/bag guys. I let them do it because it's not worth an argument, but I'd sure rather let Walmart do the same job (I don't let the LL's guys in the house anyhow) and keep the difference in my pocket.

Walmart wasn't delivering salt 3 years ago when that all unfolded.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Shipping companies are the bane of my existence. We bought a waterproof dropbox for packages, it has a very obvious sign on it saying to lift the lid and deposit parcels within. And I get stuff like this:

View attachment 154670
    View attachment 154672
    Pictographs perhaps?

My favorite saying here at work is "You can't idiot proof anything because someone is always improving the idiot". Sadly it's applicable in our private lives as well.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Since we have moved on to delivery driver complaints....

USPS is the worst, buy far. Found my coffee subscription box "tossed" up near our side door, off of the driveway on Sunday. This is routine for USPS. I've watched them drive up my driveway, lean out, and chuck our packages. Anything up to 10 pounds, and anything up to about a foot square/cubed. We have to remember to check outside of the garage door before backing out, as packages are routinely behind the cars.

UPS is pretty awesome. They park and run stuff up to the porch. Those drivers actually use the sidewalk, too.

Fedex isn't too bad. Depends on what it is. Anything large ends up leaning against the overhead garage door. Means we have to look outside FIRST before raising the door, or the package will scrape along the door and fall. Hasn't happened since the last complaint (with photos), so hoping we broke that habit. The do fine with smaller packages, as they end up on the porch.

Amazon deliveries have gotten better. Used to be Hispanic folks (mariachi music blaring) in personal cars. Very polite, but not exactly professional. Now it is mostly the Amazon-branded vans, and the drivers manage to use the porch.

Lots of local businesses now have free home delivery. We've used it for a few things. VERY hit and miss, as it is regular employees in their personal cars. Some are great. Some re-enforce why we pay minimum wage.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Since we have moved on to delivery driver complaints....

USPS is the worst, buy far. Found my coffee subscription box "tossed" up near our side door, off of the driveway on Sunday. This is routine for USPS. I've watched them drive up my driveway, lean out, and chuck our packages. Anything up to 10 pounds, and anything up to about a foot square/cubed. We have to remember to check outside of the garage door before backing out, as packages are routinely behind the cars.

UPS is pretty awesome. They park and run stuff up to the porch. Those drivers actually use the sidewalk, too.

Fedex isn't too bad. Depends on what it is. Anything large ends up leaning against the overhead garage door. Means we have to look outside FIRST before raising the door, or the package will scrape along the door and fall. Hasn't happened since the last complaint (with photos), so hoping we broke that habit. The do fine with smaller packages, as they end up on the porch.

Amazon deliveries have gotten better. Used to be Hispanic folks (mariachi music blaring) in personal cars. Very polite, but not exactly professional. Now it is mostly the Amazon-branded vans, and the drivers manage to use the porch.

Lots of local businesses now have free home delivery. We've used it for a few things. VERY hit and miss, as it is regular employees in their personal cars. Some are great. Some re-enforce why we pay minimum wage.

USPS is the worst around me too. Them, combined with terrible neighbors (and idiot city planners that made streets with similar names a block apart and used the same house numbers on both streets) who are too lazy to bring a package to the correct address, make me try to avoid them at nearly all costs.

Funny USPS story: They put a package for the next street over in my box. I just left it in the box and put the flag up. Next day, flag is down and the package is still there. I do it again. It repeats again. I do it all week, same thing. Finally, in big Sharpie market on the package itself I circle the address and write in big letters "You are not on XX Street! You are on YY Street!" and it finally went over to XX street. That reduced the instances by about half. Fast forward a few months and I get some parts from China that I've been waiting on for weeks (which could only come directly from China). USPS deliverers them. They deny it. They deny it some more. Finally I get an email saying the postman is "checking into"... and about 2 weeks later my opened package shows up. Hard to say what in the hell was actually going on with all of that, but... Good grief. I've accidentally opened other people's packages before, but I always put a note in them saying it was an accident and I take it to them immediately.

Otherwise, for me, Amazon is about as good as it gets. Even on Sundays I get an actual Amazon truck showing up. Sometimes there is music blaring out of it (I assume Bluetooth speakers), sometimes not, but that's also what my neighbor do pretty much every day, so..? I also live where the Amazon trucks are born. I pass a parking lot full of thousands of them waiting to be deployed. So, maybe that's why we have the real deal around here?

FedEx is the next worst. Sam's ships everything via FedEx and if it's more than 30lbs you can bet it's going to get destroyed. My personal favorite was those jerks stacking 300lbs of tables in front of the garage door about 6" away from the porch. And... the tops of both tables were destroyed. So were 3 additional replacement tops, also shipped via FedEx.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    25 days for a $5k cashiers check to go thirty miles.
    I told the contractor, next time I will pick it up myself.

I wouldn't' trust USPS with anything like that without at least using registered mail.

I had to send some paperwork off somewhere that my full identity details on it, including SSN. It was about 3 hours away and I seriously contemplated just driving it. I sent it registered and the counter clerk actually tried to talk me out of. "You know it's really expensive to send it that way and they have to keep it under a lock and key the entire time and it has to be on camera every step of the way and... and..."... Yeah, I know. That's why I'm sending it that way.

I have 0 fear regular old mail theft. I have 99% fear of USPS incompetence.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    85676717.jpg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Side note - I have had obvious contractors deliver amazon packages on a Sunday. Grey haired couple, unloading packages from a personal vehicle. I don't care for that much, but at this time don't want to give further excuse to delivery delays.
    Maybe they don't like delivering on Sunday either, but have to because Merrill Lynch stole their retirement 401k savings. ( years ago I spent 3 weekends every year delivering Phone books for a little extra Christmas money ) Lots of grey heads working side jobs these days.

I would hope Amazon properly vets and bonds the individuals they are sending to your place.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe they don't like delivering on Sunday either, but have to because Merrill Lynch stole their retirement 401k savings. ( years ago I spent 3 weekends every year delivering Phone books for a little extra Christmas money ) Lots of grey heads working side jobs these days.

I would hope Amazon properly vets and bonds the individuals they are sending to your place.
    Other than the unmarked vehicle, everything was fine with the old folks delivering.

I was actually glad to see people working during the scamdemic vs sitting at home getting fat on our tax dollars.

Amazon should supply their contractors with vehicle signs of some sort. Magnetic door stick-ons, pizza style roof sign, something...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    More Amazon fun. I got a delivery yesterday. I was traveling so I asked the wife, and she said no delivery. But they showed it delivered.

So I looked at the photo. Sucker didnt just put it behind the privacy fence that hides the trash can like I asked in the delivery instructions. Nope. He also put it around BEHIND the can. I couldnt see it until I went back behind the can. LOL No complaints there.

But whoever was in shipping was lazy AF. The product comes in a box like this. No tape, just a folded cover. (and no foam inside the box)

And that is how it arrived. They just slapped a sticker on it and threw it on the cart. No overpack box, no packing foam. NOT EVEN A SMALL BIT OF TAPE TO SECURE THE LOOSE FLAP. (And it was so loose it came open when I picked it up.)

Pretty sure the manual fell out at some point in transit.

luckily its not fragile and survived the trip.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    All of a sudden my Amazon Prime orders are taking almost a week to arrive. I can barely find anything with the option to ship next day or even two days. I placed an order Wednesday and it is not coming until Monday. I placed an order today for an item and it is not going to arrive until Friday.

It's almost enough to make a girl want to try getting along without them.
    You're a GIRL? :faint::facepalm:
    I have noticed Pods at DIY hardware, and other places. They want you to pick it up there. 1 stop, multiple packages delivered.

Top Bottom