• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • When should a Wife carry when out with her Husband?

• Total voters

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I'm interested in everyone's opinion on when a wife should carry. I'm just mainly interested in married couples verses couples dating or partners. The scenerio of the poll is when the husband and wife are out together. You don't have to be married to answer this poll. I'm not trying to stir up any gender debates, just curious if anyone else feels less incline to carry when their husband doesn't.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    All the time!

Why should I want to cut our tactical advantage? If a BG gets me then she's in worse trouble if she's unarmed. I don't become involved with people who are incapable of taking care of themselves and myself if need be.

Our family trains together and woe be unto them who wish us ill when we're together!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    You must me kidding! Why should women be considered 'different'? I say if she has her LTCH and is comfortable with her EDC, she should carry all the time. It's her personal choice that shouldn't involve gender at all.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I carry all the time no matter who is with me and no matter if they carry or not. The more protection the better. Always be prepared is my motto and no I was not ever a boy scout. :laugh:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I dont see why it would have anything to do with when or if the husband carries.
    It has nothing to do with being married or single, being a woman or a man.
    The answer is "when she wants if she feels like carrying" just like anybody else.

I didnt vote because I didnt see any good answer and I dont like that this poll is all about gender and what the husband does when it has nothing to do with that.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I'm interested in everyone's opinion on when a wife should carry. I'm just mainly interested in married couples verses couples dating or partners.
    :n00b: Well my GIRLFREIND of 7+ years carrys all the time, When stuff goes bad I cannot think of any backup I would rather have. I would pretty much attempt to cause a ruckus, allowing her time to draw her weapon and defend us. They are going to have their hands full with me, I feel alot better knowing she has the tools to back me up.
    Whether she is my wife or not is really irelevant, would you rather have the opinion of a hunsband and wife of 4 years than a couple who has been dateing for 7 years?
    This is what I was saying in the sex before marriage thread, somehow a korny little get together somehow makes some differance? :rolleyes:
    I'll shutup before I get out of order.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm curious to what motivated this question. Specifically, the gender differentiation.

I carry all the time, regardless of whether my husband is doing so or not.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm curious to what motivated this question. Specifically, the gender differentiation.

I carry all the time, regardless of whether my husband is doing so or not.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I dont see why it would have anything to do with when or if the husband carries.
    It has nothing to do with being married or single, being a woman or a man.
    The answer is "when she wants if she feels like carrying" just like anybody else.

I didnt vote because I didnt see any good answer and I dont like that this poll is all about gender and what the husband does when it has nothing to do with that.

Maybe I should explain the reasoning behind the poll a little bit so this doesn't become a big gender debate.

Hubby and I have had a LTCH for years and years, back when they were called person protection permits and you had to write a letter stating why you felt you needed to carry a handgun. So I'm not new around guns or handguns. I know when I carried on a daily basis years ago and there would be times when someone saw my gun or realized I had a concealed weapon, that it seemed to be a big deal. We live in a very rural area, with low crime rate and it was looked at as unnecessary, especially on a daily basis. Through out the years I got away from CC and usually just kept one in the car. A lot of that had to do with all the sports my kids played and not carrying on school grounds too. My husband only CC or OC when he needed to for work and never did other wise.

So I was just interested in what other peoples' thoughts were on when couple carry. I've become interested in CC again, but don't think the hubby is all that interested. From my own personal beleifs, I'm not the one who is the head of the family and don't feel right CC when the hubby doesn't. This is just my own opinion and wanted people to feel they could express their own here too.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Maybe I should explain the reasoning behind the poll a little bit so this doesn't become a big gender debate.

Hubby and I have had a LTCH for years and years, back when they were called person protection permits and you had to write a letter stating why you felt you needed to carry a handgun. So I'm not new around guns or handguns. I know when I carried on a daily basis years ago and there would be times when someone saw my gun or realized I had a concealed weapon, that it seemed to be a big deal. We live in a very rural area, with low crime rate and it was looked at as unnecessary, especially on a daily basis. Through out the years I got away from CC and usually just kept one in the car. A lot of that had to do with all the sports my kids played and not carrying on school grounds too. My husband only CC or OC when he needed to for work and never did other wise.

So I was just interested in what other peoples' thoughts were on when couple carry. I've become interested in CC again, but don't think the hubby is all that interested. From my own personal beleifs, I'm not the one who is the head of the family and don't feel right CC when the hubby doesn't. This is just my own opinion and wanted people to feel they could express their own here too.

Not wanting to get into the patriarcal vs matriarcal debate. But,,,,I carry for the protection of myself AND my loved ones. My fiance' carries for the same reason. I have her back and she has mine. I, personally, feel much more comfortable knowing that she feels for me in that way.

Historically, even though the men were the head of household, it often fell to women to keep things together. I say if you want to carry, do it. Tell him that its because you love and respect him that you are willing to put yourself in the position as a protector. He may see the light and realize that it's his responsibility too.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

First off, I'm not going to criticize your family structure at all. It's what you two have worked out and what you are happy with, so it's no one else's place to judge it and anyone who does is just being a jerk. The dynamics of family power and roles is solely up to those who are in that family.

But I approach family differently. My GF or wife when I was married are my partners. There's no head of our family. We have differing roles within the family, but it's a cooperative venture. Some things I am deferred to because they are my area of expertise or skill, and some things they are deferred to for the same reasons. Important things though are both our responsibility, and protection of our family and our family safety is one of those areas. We also have shared finances for common expenses and seperate finances which helps keep financial issues from being a point of stress.

Again, this isn't a criticism of your family structure, just pointing out that other folks have different ones and that changes how we may look at this issue.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I dont see why it would be a problem and how you can feel bad to CC when your husband doesnt.It's not like its a man's right and if he leaves his gun at home then you shouldnt bring yours.
    You have just the same right and should I say duty to protect yourself and your family no matter if you are the wife or the husband.
    If your husband feels emasculated somehow because he's not in charge of the family's protection then he can start carrying too.But it shouldnt the reason why you dont carry.
    If you are the one thinking about protecting the family it sounds to me like YOU are the head of the family.
    Women carried firerarms for protection even before they had the right to vote, it shouldnt be seen as a "manly thing" to carry or man's duty only to protect the family.
    If your husband doesnt do it its a good thing that you do.
    Be armed and be safe.I wish my girlfriend would carry but she doesnt feel like it so im the one carrying but I would have no problem if she did and I didnt.
    I would be proud of her and would have no problem being protected by my woman.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I dont understand why this is an issue after all the years that you have had a LTCH.
    If you still want to carry then so be it. You should always watch your own back. You are never 100% safe anywhere.

2nd ammendment :rockwoot:

Last edited:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    While I do carry all the time, thank you for the BUG MrG, I would rather MrG take care of and protect me. I know he can't always be there for me though and I need to take that responsibility on myself, hence the new back up gun (BUG) that is always in my purse.

I would not let gender roles play into a self protection scenario.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    ;) its always better to have a gun and not need it. rather than need one and not have it !!

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it. EPHESIANS 5: 25

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm not the one who is the head of the family and don't feel right CC when the hubby doesn't. =

What does being head of the family have to do with it? Are you not responsible for your own safety? With or without your husband present, are you not responsible for the safety of your children (assuming they are still in the home)?

(Furthermore, could one not argue that his is failing in his responsibility by not taking all the measures available to him to protect his family? Deference to the head of family comes with the caveat that said head of family fulfills his roles as well.)

I'm very comfortable with the traditional (dare I say Biblical?) roles of man and woman in the family, and I don't think my role as a wife and mother has anything to do with protecting me and mine in terms of when I can and can't...or should and shouldn't, I suppose is more accurate.

There's subordinate and there's submissive to the point of negating your identity entirely. I'm cool with the former when the situation calls for it. The latter...not so much.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

That ^ and that^.

don't think the hubby is all that interested. From my own personal beleifs, I'm not the one who is the head of the family and don't feel right CC when the hubby doesn't. This is just my own opinion and wanted people to feel they could express their own here too.

I am not the "head of my family" either. He is. And he's never carried, not once...ever. And even though he's got his LTCH, it's still likely that he never will.
    In many other ways, I'm the family caretaker...this is just one more manner of it.
    If I waited for him to carry to be able to do so myself...I might as well sell all my guns and reloading stuff.
    ...And that ain't happening.

Top Bottom