• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    One correction it is 87, not 81 octane. Share a few fuel points. Most E fuels base gasoline is 84, 86, and 90 octane before they add the high octane ethanol. E10 will undergo phase separation and water contamination in 90 days. After the E deterioration you lose 3 octane and many small engines will not run on the regular octane fuel. Most small engine fuel systems are not assembled with truly alcohol resistant parts. Nor do older vehicles have the alcohol resistant parts. Of you have a fun older vehicle run it on E free as much as possible and never store it with ethanol in the system.

M

You are correct! Thank you for catching my error. I blame chubby fingers and a weak mind.

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    Does aviation gas (100LL) count?
    That's what the vintage motorcycle guys (or at least the ones I've talked to) use when they need zero-ethanol fuel.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'm on the hunt now for some real gas :) One question: do these "fuel stabilizers" exist to counteract the effects of the ethanol, or would they still be necessary in pure gas? Now, how about kerosene? Should I just go over to the airport and buy some JP-5, or are there some stations that carry it?

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Does aviation gas (100LL) count?
    That's what the vintage motorcycle guys (or at least the ones I've talked to) use when they need zero-ethanol fuel.

Was wondering when someone was going to bring up AvGas. I have been using it in the mower and weedeater this year. Although, at $5/gal, when I run out I plan to go no-ethanol.

Yes, great stuff. It does not varnish like the E free gas will.

M

I mistakenly left some 93 octane in my mini-tiller. Opened the cap this year and that was the worst varnish smell I have ever experienced. Yuck

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Did not know that one. Thanks

M

Rickers / BP on hwy 32 / US 31 in Westfield , Countrymark in Clermont on US 136 just West of Indianapolis and in Noblesville.

Rickers in Sheridan has it.

The guy at the Stihl store in Carmel brought this location to my attention. Not all Rickers have it but I came to this thread to post the US32 and 31 location as having it. I use it for all small (non vehicle) engines.

Ski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Indy
    Nope. It started, but I had to run it on half-choke to get it to keep going. On the list of to-do's is tear the carb apart and clean it.

I did that when I first got my Honda generator. Looked up the problem on the internet and was told to siphon out the old gas, put in fresh premium and run it with the gas cap off with half choke. After a few minutes it ran normally. That was about 10 years ago. I swore I'd find some ethanol free gas but I am too lazy to drive 20 or 30 miles to get it so I've been using Ethanol Defense ever since and have had no problems with the generator, leaf blower, lawn mower or chainsaw.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Nope. It started, but I had to run it on half-choke to get it to keep going. On the list of to-do's is tear the carb apart and clean it.

Dump the old gas and run it on the AVgas, it will likely clear it up. Also if you have not heard of Sea Foam gas treatment it is amazing. I know Menards carries it. Might save the carb work since it will run.

M

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Dump the old gas and run it on the AVgas, it will likely clear it up. Also if you have not heard of Sea Foam gas treatment it is amazing. I know Menards carries it. Might save the carb work since it will run.

M

I originally just put some Avgas in with the old, then I dumped it all out and ran it. I didn't even think of Seafoam, I'll have to pick some up. Thanks!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I did that when I first got my Honda generator. Looked up the problem on the internet and was told to siphon out the old gas, put in fresh premium and run it with the gas cap off with half choke. After a few minutes it ran normally. That was about 10 years ago. I swore I'd find some ethanol free gas but I am too lazy to drive 20 or 30 miles to get it so I've been using Ethanol Defense ever since and have had no problems with the generator, leaf blower, lawn mower or chainsaw.

I've never heard of Ethanol Defense, but it looks like good stuff if the manufacturer's claims are accurate. https://www.bellperformance.com/fuel-treatment/ethanol-defense

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm on the hunt now for some real gas :) One question: do these "fuel stabilizers" exist to counteract the effects of the ethanol, or would they still be necessary in pure gas? Now, how about kerosene? Should I just go over to the airport and buy some JP-5, or are there some stations that carry it?
    I wouldnt waste your time.

(per an old fuel delivery guy) The only difference between straight kerosene and jet fuel is a:rigid chain of custody tracking and b: an additional filter before it hits the tanker.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I haven't been able to find a verified source of non-ethanol gas in Northwest Indiana. (with our EPA debacle, maybe Lake and Porter do not have the option).

Anyone?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I wouldnt waste your time.

(per an old fuel delivery guy) The only difference between straight kerosene and jet fuel is a:rigid chain of custody tracking and b: an additional filter before it hits the tanker.

So who has some? I may be accessing a damaged part of my memory, but it seemed to be available at Lowe's for about $20, and JP-5 couldn't possibly be more than that. I've seen K-1 at gas stations before, but my search of them since has been fruitless.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I haven't been able to find a verified source of non-ethanol gas in Northwest Indiana. (with our EPA debacle, maybe Lake and Porter do not have the option).

Anyone?

LaPorte, Starke and Marshall County all have it available. I wonder if the airport there sells it. Starke county does. The marinas do as well.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    OP find a place? I meant to post in here a couple days ago and left the thread open in a different tab. I know Casey's has it as someone up thread said.

Top Bottom