• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well, I screwed up. :xmad:

I just discovered two five gallon Jerry cans are full that I thought were empty. I have 10 gallons of untreated gas dated 1.1.17. Grrrrrr...

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

I just discovered two five gallon Jerry cans are full that I thought were empty. I have 10 gallons of untreated gas dated 1.1.17. Grrrrrr...

Fill your vehicle with fresh gas, wait until it gets down a couple of gallons, get a shaker hose, and top it off with a gallon or two of the old stuff. Wash/rinse/repeat with each new tank. I've been disposing of "old", but not "ancient" gas like that for years now. Never had a problem.

I also feed the tractor a little 2 cycle/tank if I have that sitting around. No cats, no 02s, so no problems.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Light a bonfire with it. What's the worst that can happen?

OH RIGHT! STOP DROP AND ROLL!!!!! :laugh:

[video=youtube;3f4lPzxSm5A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f4lPzxSm5A[/video]

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Light a bonfire with it. What's the worst that can happen?

OH RIGHT! STOP DROP AND ROLL!!!!! :laugh:

[video=youtube;3f4lPzxSm5A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f4lPzxSm5A[/video]
    I wonder if he had any hair left...

I'm glad to see there are others that don't have problems with the run of the mill fuel. My small engines: Power washer (Honda), Weed Wacker (2 stroke Echo), and Lawn Mower (Kohler) all start up each spring with little argument. I do typically use the top tier stations but don't do anything special other than fuel treatment and feed them fresh fuel to start each spring. The little echo gets the worst as I usually haven't used all of last season's 50:1 mix so it gets some slight carb tuning but usually not much more than a tiny turn of the fuel needles.

Our boat was my biggest concern, it had almost 2 year old fuel (pregnancy and then a pair of newborns) but it started right up in the driveway when we put the ears on it to see. Ran a little rough but we filled it with fresh fuel and it was happy after that.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Is that too long for you to reasonably expect it to work in your car okay? Prob a bad idea for the lawn mower or chain saw!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I wonder if he had any hair left...

I'm glad to see there are others that don't have problems with the run of the mill fuel. My small engines: Power washer (Honda), Weed Wacker (2 stroke Echo), and Lawn Mower (Kohler) all start up each spring with little argument. I do typically use the top tier stations but don't do anything special other than fuel treatment and feed them fresh fuel to start each spring. The little echo gets the worst as I usually haven't used all of last season's 50:1 mix so it gets some slight carb tuning but usually not much more than a tiny turn of the fuel needles.

Our boat was my biggest concern, it had almost 2 year old fuel (pregnancy and then a pair of newborns) but it started right up in the driveway when we put the ears on it to see. Ran a little rough but we filled it with fresh fuel and it was happy after that.

That's what has me concerned, all though I did put Stabil in it before winterizing last year, but I haven't had it out at all this year. :( Going to try and go out next weekend just to run the old gas out and re-winterize it. Pretty sure I've got a full 6 gallon tank plus a partial tank. Way more than I could use by trying to pour it into my can that I use for my 2 cycle engines (weedeater, chainsaw and leaf blower).

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That's what has me concerned, all though I did put Stabil in it before winterizing last year, but I haven't had it out at all this year. :( Going to try and go out next weekend just to run the old gas out and re-winterize it. Pretty sure I've got a full 6 gallon tank plus a partial tank. Way more than I could use by trying to pour it into my can that I use for my 2 cycle engines (weedeater, chainsaw and leaf blower).
    If it were me I'd siphon out what you could and burn it in a car. Ours was mostly empty and we mixed the old fuel with ~20 gallons of fresh but that was after the initial start in the driveway. It probably helps that it is a fuel injected V8 as well. Little concern of carburetor issues.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You are lucky jkaetz. My neighbor forgot to drain his snowblower for 2 years. it came out of the carb bowl thick and green, and stunk of varnish. (took me 3 days to get the varnish/old gas smell out of my hands. It was awful)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is marginally too old gas a worse concern for carbs or fuel injection?

Would you put any additives in known old fuel to try to use it up? Like Seafoam for example?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If it were me I'd siphon out what you could and burn it in a car. Ours was mostly empty and we mixed the old fuel with ~20 gallons of fresh but that was after the initial start in the driveway. It probably helps that it is a fuel injected V8 as well. Little concern of carburetor issues.

I don't know what 50:1 2-cycle gas would do to fuel injectors, but I wouldn't think it would be good. Hopefully I can just make it down to the lake in a couple weeks and run it out in the boat..

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well, hopefully if all goes as planned, I'll be able to get the boat out for one last (and first) hurrah and it will be a moot point. :)
    Something something boat something something :spend:

I will say boating in October is great for riding. Light traffic and if you time it right decent temps and fall colors. I have also been swimming in some of our freak 70-80 degree October days.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Something something boat something something :spend:

I will say boating in October is great for riding. Light traffic and if you time it right decent temps and fall colors. I have also been swimming in some of our freak 70-80 degree October days.

Oh yeah, before life got so busy, I would always try and swim before May 1st. Now granted, "swimming" amounted to jumping in and cimbing right back out (usually I was just taking my "bath"), but still... :): And I would typically try and make my last outing sometime near the end of October, but sometimes it would be early November. I think I've gone as late as Thanksgiving.

The last trip was always to winterize the motor - it was easier to do it on the boat ramp with the motor still in the water than it was to drag out the hose and "ear muffs" at home.

Top Bottom