Who carries a knife to back up their pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I'll use what ever weapon I can get my hands on first.

You guys packing two guns, a bayonet and a razor in your shoe EVERY WHERE, WITH OUT FAIL, should really spend a few days in a tree stand trying to deer hunt and squirrel hunt at the same time.

When you come home with neither one you'll start to get a clue what's going to happen when an attacker has your back by surprise and you start trying to make up your mind what part of your arsenal fits the situation best.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    I'll use what ever weapon I can get my hands on first.

You guys packing two guns, a bayonet and a razor in your shoe EVERY WHERE, WITH OUT FAIL, should really spend a few days in a tree stand trying to deer hunt and squirrel hunt at the same time.

When you come home with neither one you'll start to get a clue what's going to happen when an attacker has your back by surprise and you start trying to make up your mind what part of your arsenal fits the situation best.

The more I read this response, the more confused I am.

You state: I'll use what ever weapon I can get my hands on first. That leads me to believe you might carry more than one weapon on you.

Then you state: You guys packing two guns, a bayonet and a razor in your shoe EVERY WHERE, WITH OUT FAIL... As if you are making fun of the folks who carry multiple weapons, then throw out a non sequitur about hunting compared to self defense. I shot a squirrel with my bow one afternoon while I was out deer hunting. Tasty later that evening, btw. No deer that trip, but I wasn't trying very hard, either.

Most of the folks I've met who carry 2 pistols, a bayonet and a razor have more than room-temperature IQ and have 'war-gamed' it enough in their minds and/or in training to know what they will do in an attack (preferably avoid, since situational awareness is the first weapon of choice).

But what do I know.... :dunno:

In response to the OP, Emerson Comander off-duty, Emerson M-Wave and Benchmade 520 on-duty. I really like the Emerson Karambit in my left front pocket, but on-duty knife policy is a bit obtuse...

Last edited:

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    I picked up a couple of th Buck/Strider folders that Buck as clearancing out for $40. I always carry one. Good knives but I want a Emerson bad.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I don't think of it as a Back-up to my handgun, but it does go everywhere with me.
    22-01586-open.jpg

Gerber Torch II Tanto G10 Serrated Edge Knife

Rick Hinderer designed this matte black tanto blade featuring a dual thumbstud for one-handed opening and a finger flip that doubles as a finger guard. The Torch II contains G-10 inserts in the handle that ensure a safe, secure grip and includes a pocket clip for easy carry and storage.
    Key Features

• Dual thumbstud for one-handed opening
    • Finger flip doubles as finger guard
    • Machine textured G-10 insert
    • Lanyard attachment point
    • Pocket clip
    Technical Specifications

• Overall Length: 8.1 inches
    • Length Closed: 4.6 inches
    • Length of Blade: 3.5 inches
    • Weight: 5.9 oz
    • Blade Material: 440A stainless steel
    • Handle Material: Stainless steel with machined G-10 inlay
    • Blade Type: Tanto Drop point

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I don't think of it as a Back-up to my handgun, but it does go everywhere with me.
    22-01586-open.jpg

Gerber Torch II Tanto G10 Serrated Edge Knife

Rick Hinderer designed this matte black tanto blade featuring a dual thumbstud for one-handed opening and a finger flip that doubles as a finger guard. The Torch II contains G-10 inserts in the handle that ensure a safe, secure grip and includes a pocket clip for easy carry and storage.
    Key Features

• Dual thumbstud for one-handed opening
    • Finger flip doubles as finger guard
    • Machine textured G-10 insert
    • Lanyard attachment point
    • Pocket clip
    Technical Specifications

• Overall Length: 8.1 inches
    • Length Closed: 4.6 inches
    • Length of Blade: 3.5 inches
    • Weight: 5.9 oz
    • Blade Material: 440A stainless steel
    • Handle Material: Stainless steel with machined G-10 inlay
    • Blade Type: Tanto Drop point

Have not been a fan of Gerbers for a LONG time. But that is a nice looking knife.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I carry a Spyderco Native (made in America!) or a SOG Trident (when I can). I see it as a last resort. I'm sometimes concerned that if I tried to use it, it would be used against me because I am not proficient with fighting with a blade. I took a few months of Bujinkan before I ran into health issues and learned a few things with blades but I've not practiced it enough. I am fairly weak because of medication I currently take and I lost my sense of balance when I had surgery. I walk with a limp which I know makes me a visual target for those looking for a weakness in prey. The good news is that I hopefully will be off the medication soon. I'll have a long road to get back to "normal." But I know that it is absolutely crucial to not let a thread get close to me. I'm praying that my balance will return to me but right now it is the least of my concerns.

I'm thankful for the truth in the quote about Samuel Colt. God man men, Samuel Colt made them equal.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    "Imperial" brand pocket knife that I bought at Wal-mart for $5 in 2003. Originally bought it for a cheapo knife for a canoe trip -- didn't want to cry if I lost it, got it dirty, wet, etc. Have never bought a better one.

coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    If you are going to pull out a knife to defend yourself, you better either know what you're doing with it or be in a REALLY BAD spot.

That being said, I don't view my knife as a "backup" persay, but I do carry one. I DO view it as a last resort, but that means literally a last resort.

George, on the other hand, is experienced in blade tactics :rockwoot:

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I carry a Kershaw in the shower lol. really its never out of reach. a 1730 all day every day, and a 1670 for special occasions. I also carry a CRKT hissatu folder when hunting squirrel so I can dress asap.

Top Bottom