Who carries a knife to back up their pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    The time it takes to decide based on having so many things to choose from :D

There you go Hick's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When you take into account the skill sets need for overall survival-

Open Hand Combatives
    Edged Weapon Skills
    Impact Weapon Skills
    Firearms (pistol, shotgun, rifle)

it becomes obvious that having a Leatherman in your pocket to deal with 99% of things you know you know you will face based on experience and research is more important than having a whole Craftsman Toolbox in your garage allowing you to deal with something that you could imagine happening.

Natural aggression with mindset and training to do more with less is key. Carrying a knife alone or in addition to a pistol without considering when, why and how you will use it will use up valuable time at the least and cause death at the most.- George

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    There you go Hick's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When you take into account the skill sets need for overall survival-

Open Hand Combatives
    Edged Weapon Skills
    Impact Weapon Skills
    Firearms (pistol, shotgun, rifle)

it becomes obvious that having a Leatherman in your pocket to deal with 99% of things you know you know you will face based on experience and research is more important than having a whole Craftsman Toolbox in your garage allowing you to deal with something that you could imagine happening.

Natural aggression with mindset and training to do more with less is key. Carrying a knife alone or in addition to a pistol without considering when, why and how you will use it will use up valuable time at the least and cause death at the most.- George

So what do you carry? :)

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    It depends:) Most of the times these days I carry a duracoated Taurus Model 85 UL in a pocket holster of my design. Since it is carried in my strong side front pocket I don't carry a primary defensive folder. In our doctrine the PDF is carried against the pocket seam in the strong side front pocket. In my back pocket is a Al Mar SERE 2000 which is my utility knife which I have no specfic plans on using for SD but would in pinch.

When carrying any pistol my primary edged weapon is my Emerson Kerambit in my reaction side front pocket. Since my primary deadly force option is my pistol the Kerambit serves to fight to it, or fight to retain it and can also be held with a gun in my hand.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    It depends:) Most of the times these days I carry a duracoated Taurus Model 85 UL in a pocket holster of my design. Since it is carried in my strong side front pocket I don't carry a primary defensive folder. In our doctrine the PDF is carried against the pocket seam in the strong side front pocket. In my back pocket is a Al Mar SERE 2000 which is my utility knife which I have no specfic plans on using for SD but would in pinch.

When carrying any pistol my primary edged weapon is my Emerson Kerambit in my reaction side front pocket. Since my primary deadly force option is my pistol the Kerambit serves to fight to it, or fight to retain it and can also be held with a gun in my hand.

Thanks.
    I always carry my PDF against the seam of my weakside pocket. I carry my SA 1911 LW Champion Operator on my strong side at 3 o'clock so it makes getting to my PDF difficult.
    I have never had a class on the use or deployment of a blade as a SD option, so maybe that is something I should look into when i have the time.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I carry 1 knife and it is for weapon retention/what ever else i need a knife for. It is a Ka-Bar TDI weak side. I wear it between my belt and pants to keep the uncomfortable "holster" off my skin. It is a great little knife for many things. Holds a nice SHARP blade.

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I used to carry a Cold Steel Recon 1, now I carry a SOG Spec Elite 2. I realize it's potential for SD, but it's primarily there for utility. I always carried a knife until I got my permit, then I downsized to a CS Tufflite keychain knife. I used it often to open packages, cut stray threads on clothing, and other small chores, but came to realize that some days 2 inches just isn't enough :): I still have it for small jobs, but if I have to carve open one of those infernal clam shell packages or cut rope, out comes the SOG. I suppose I could use the Tufflite for SD, but honestly I would try to gouge out an eye with one of my keys first.

Rollo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    North Central
    I carry a SOG Twitch 2. For me it is more of a tool but would use it as a weapon if I really had to. It does however get a TON of use. I've probably stipped 100 miles worth of cat 5 cable with that thing.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Well I'm twenty. So I only carry a knife. I'm also broke, so I only carry a crappy $14 knife from wal-mart.:crying:

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I just wanted to chime in to say, yes I carry a knife to back up my handgun. It's just a basic flip open knife with a belt clip. I carry it either clipped on my belt, or with it in my pocket and the belt clip attached to the pocket. opposite side of where i carry my gun.

graham88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    Southern IN
    I can’t always have a gun on me

standard.jpg

But I'll always have a Benckmade!!:twocents:

Top Bottom