• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    In the last week, I took my van to the repair shop, ordered take out pizza, met a friend at the range, stopped at LGS to say hi & see if they had anything unusual, got gas in 2 vehicles, went to McDonald's, got mail out of my mailbox 5 times, ate packaged food from the grocery each day, etc.

How would I know where I got infected?

Is attending an outdoor shoot where I touch virtually nothing actually more dangerous than raking dead leaves in my yard?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'd shoot it if I could. I'll be chomping at the bit once CIHPRS is shooting midrange again.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Would definitely not attend anything indoors. No comparison to going to the grocery - I need to eat, I don't need to shoot.

Probably wouldn't do an outdoor match - safe and effective ROing requires getting too close.

Might go to an outdoor range if distance can be maintained.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I think I would go to a match in a heartbeat, just to restore a sense of normalcy. (And I was also going to say, to be around supposedly rational people...then I came here and saw this. Very sad.). My biggest issue with matches is time...now I have tons of it, but no matches. Such is life.

My biggest risk sleeps in the bed next to me. She cannot hide from it. She is touching people all day, while sharing a double-headed microscope with her Pathologist one foot away from her. It turns out that when people have a golf-ball sized tumor in their neck...a stinkin' flu virus is the least of their worries. She has her one issued N95 mask with her name written on it in sharpie, but also understands the effectiveness of those masks is rated at the .3 micron (x10^-6) level, and the biggest viruses are an order of magnitude smaller (talking x10^-9). It is a glorified sneeze shield, people.

I totally understand not wanting healthcare facilities to be overwhelmed. Go ahead and flatten the curve. I'm just telling you, there's only one way humanity ever beats a bug. And that's by developing immunity, either by direct exposure and developing antibodies, or by being vaccinated. The latter is a year away, and when it happens, most of us ain't getting it right away. So that kinda narrows it down. This thing is going to have to roll through the entire population. And with social distancing, that is going to take TIME. Are we seriously going to keep society shut down until a vaccine is available? Or, will we go with until more test kits are available - and then trust people to follow the protocols on testing?

Flattening the curve also lengthens the curve. This is not wiping out matches until "May or June." The shooting summer is gone folks. I'm 50/50 on whether schools and universities will allow kids back in August.

People are not shooting, and "the check is in the mail." If Bernie Sanders woke up tomorrow and was President, in a full year he couldn't get enough through Congress to Socialize America as much as this pandemic has done.

Last edited:

Joeyjoebangbang

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    Elwood
    As much want to compete in a match right now I would not. It’s all about safety. When I participate in match I expect everyone to conduct themselves with a certain level of safety whether that is with a firearm or any other general practice. You cannot properly RO a shooter and maintain social distancing.
    stay safe stay healthy

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Viruses don’t care that you need to eat or need to go to the grocery store.

Obviously, but you obviously are missing the point. We sometimes take risks because we have to, but it's foolish to take risks for things that we don't need.

It's really a simple concept; too bad that some people can't grasp it.

GlocKnuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2018
    Charleston
    I would go.

I feel fine. I take my temperature daily. I observe social distancing & have amped up all the recommended sanitation activities.

PLUS, if I spend anymore damned time at the house I’ll die of heart disease from bored-eating.

Stay safe friends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Obviously, but you obviously are missing the point. We sometimes take risks because we have to, but it's foolish to take risks for things that we don't need.

It's really a simple concept; too bad that some people can't grasp it.

my point is that you’ve been exposed to it already, and you will continue to be exposed to it unless you truly can stay in your house 100% of the time. If your not healthy enough to attend a match stay home, I’m not going to visit any elderly or sick family, friends etc.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    my point is that you’ve been exposed to it already, and you will continue to be exposed to it unless you truly can stay in your house 100% of the time. If your not healthy enough to attend a match stay home, I’m not going to visit any elderly or sick family, friends etc.

How do you KNOW that someone has been exposed? And you KNOW that you don't have it, and you KNOW that you won't pick it up from someone and/or pass it on? No, you don't KNOW any of those things. And as long as one doesn't KNOW, then doing as much to avoid contact is the proper course of action. A shooting match, especially indoors, is an unnecessary risk right now. Attending one is self-indulgent and selfish.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    How do you KNOW that someone has been exposed? And you KNOW that you don't have it, and you KNOW that you won't pick it up from someone and/or pass it on? No, you don't KNOW any of those things. And as long as one doesn't KNOW, then doing as much to avoid contact is the proper course of action. A shooting match, especially indoors, is an unnecessary risk right now. Attending one is self-indulgent and selfish.

Agree to disagree then, you stay home and where A mask thinking Covid is a death sentence. I’ll be self indulgent and selfish in this hypothetical situation.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Agree to disagree then, you stay home and where A mask thinking Covid is a death sentence. I’ll be self indulgent and selfish in this hypothetical situation.

The families of 116 in Indiana and 7100 nation wide(so far) would argue that Covid is a death sentence.

Since hypothetically it is about you.

You set up the match.
    You RO everyone.
    You run the tablet after the shooter is done.
    You sign for financial liability so if someone comes to the match and gets sick and dies their family sues you and not the club.
    You be the one responsible when someone call the police for a gathering of 10 or more taking place and they come to arrest someone(you).
    You be the one that the club members then hate for the repercussions the club suffers from some one who was indulgent and selfish.

Hypothetically of course.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The families of 116 in Indiana and 7100 nation wide(so far) would argue that Covid is a death sentence.

Since hypothetically it is about you.

You set up the match.
    You RO everyone.
    You run the tablet after the shooter is done.
    You sign for financial liability so if someone comes to the match and gets sick and dies their family sues you and not the club.
    You be the one responsible when someone call the police for a gathering of 10 or more taking place and they come to arrest someone(you).
    You be the one that the club members then hate for the repercussions the club suffers from some one who was indulgent and selfish.

Hypothetically of course.

Taking the legal restriction of 10 or less out of the conversation, the title is “who would go?”

116 flu deaths last year and we didn’t disrupt the shooting season even a little. I’d be fine to run a match if legal. Again the conversation is moot because a match would be illegal but if it weren’t I would shoot.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Taking the legal restriction of 10 or less out of the conversation, the title is “who would go?”

116 flu deaths last year and we didn’t disrupt the shooting season even a little. I’d be fine to run a match if legal. Again the conversation is moot because a match would be illegal but if it weren’t I would shoot.

116 flu deaths in a whole year vs 116 in what the last 2 months? Double digit deaths in the last few days and getting worse. They are not the same thing.

Yes the title is "who would go" but when someone says that they won't you seem to want to argue and insinuate that they are somehow lesser(scared) for not wanting to expose them or their family's to the virus.

I'l be glad when this passes(hopefully soon) so we can all get back to shooting matches and some sense of normalcy.

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    116 flu deaths in a whole year vs 116 in what the last 2 months? Double digit deaths in the last few days and getting worse. They are not the same thing.

Yes the title is "who would go" but when someone says that they won't you seem to want to argue and insinuate that they are somehow lesser(scared) for not wanting to expose them or their family's to the virus.

I'l be glad when this passes(hopefully soon) so we can all get back to shooting matches and some sense of normalcy.

not my intention to make anyone feel lesser for making their decision and I meant it quite literally if you’re concerned stay home. The inverse has also happened to me for voicing my decision as others have accused me of “killing their friend” up thread

Last edited:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    not my intention to make anyone feel lesser For making they’re decision and I meant it quite literally if you’re concerned stay home. The inverse has also happened to me for voicing my decision as others have accused me of “killing their friend” up thread

Some give as they receive.:):

None of this matters as has been said no one can "Legally" have a match anyway.
    Been lots of discussions(behind the scenes) on whether or not a range is even supposed to be open at all even for general shooting.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    not my intention to make anyone feel lesser For making they’re decision and I meant it quite literally if you’re concerned stay home. The inverse has also happened to me for voicing my decision as others have accused me of “killing their friend” up thread

Although I support measures at certain points in time to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed, I am in agreement with you in the sense that I'm truly surprised in a time of crisis, how easily people lose their grasp of the concept of being personally responsible for what risks you decide to take for yourself in voluntary activities. Getting in the car and driving somewhere carries the risk of being killed. Don't feel safe? Don't go.

As for the "saving lives" mantra, that just shows a lack of scientific understanding, and how easily people can be misled by experts. The experts know they are not saving lives in the absolute sense with these measures. They're just spreading it out so as to not overwhelm the system. Is there some small incremental number of people who will survive with a ventilator, who wouldn't if none was available? Admittedly yes, and that's what these measures are about. But unless you truly believe we can keep everybody in until a vaccine is widely available, I don't think we're ultimately reducing total long-term deaths by much. And I don't think the experts think we are, either. They just aren't telling us that. They're using a "public health" posture to basically tell a small white lie to large numbers of people who simply don't know better.

Getting back to the shooting sports, I wonder what long-term effect this will have on attendance. From past experience with other sports, it seems that once people get out of the habit of going, it just becomes easier for them to not go.

Last edited:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    The experts know they are not saving lives in the absolute sense with these measures. They're just spreading it out so as to not overwhelm the system.

I do not believe that. It is possible that none of the treatments currently under test will pan out, and it is possible that spreading the need out over time will not save a whole lot of people due to improved access to medical equipment and personnel, and it is possible that the high risk populations (nursing homes, assisted living facilities, barbecue joints where really fat people hang out) can not be protected (largely) until a vaccine is proven, but I think believing all of that is more pessimistic than realistic.

Top Bottom