• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Nothing had been done to the fuel filter recently the only thing that we did this year was a new battery and blades.

I believe it was a 2009 Simplicity conquest. Now I just need to figure out how to get this off the property. Hopefully a scrapper just steals the thing.

Before you scrap it maybe Simplicity might be interested in the fact that one of their mowers ignited.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Before you scrap it maybe Simplicity might be interested in the fact that one of their mowers ignited.

Yeah, a phone call before scrapping it out wouldn't hurt.

Plus...isn't there one of those guys around town that'll take junk mowers? Yours looks like a total loss to me but to a guy that fixes up old mowers, there may be some useful parts there.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    That is pretty spectacular! I'm not sure a manufacturer will care too much if an 8 year old mower goes up in flames. Depending on how it is stored, fuel lines get brittle and crack... I'm curious about what the point of ignition was. I've spilled plenty of fuel on my walk behind, and started her up. Overfueled tractors, with fuel dripping down around the engine shrouds... no fires.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That is pretty spectacular! I'm not sure a manufacturer will care too much if an 8 year old mower goes up in flames. Depending on how it is stored, fuel lines get brittle and crack... I'm curious about what the point of ignition was. I've spilled plenty of fuel on my walk behind, and started her up. Overfueled tractors, with fuel dripping down around the engine shrouds... no fires.

I'm curious as well about the ignition point. The gas tank on those is made of plastic and is located under the seat, which explains why the fire is mainly in the back. But you can see in the photo that fire is also shooting out of the engine compartment. And the charred mess there makes me think it started there.

I don't think Simplicity would be interested in claiming responsibility, especially at this age. Nor should they. I do think they may be interested for other reasons.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    :wow:

I searched a couple of garden tractor forums I belong to. Nothing about this happening with that model.:dunno:

Glad you're OK.

Looks like it started up front and followed the fuel line like a fuse to where the gas lives.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I would like a new mower... but I'm not going to burn it up in my yard. You've got balls man.
    Ya! I'll admit I may have embellished some issues with my old mower to justify getting a new one. I never thought of justifying it this way.

"honey, we need a new mower."

"what's wrong with the old one?"

[points at charred mess]

"Oh."

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We had a neighbor who had his Kubota catch fire while he was mowing through a bunch of dry leaves. They got the fire out pretty quickly and the tractor was able to be saved, but it was related to the leaves and something on the deck getting hot I believe. My husband rebuilt the deck for him, but I don't remember them having to do any work to the engine.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Ya! I'll admit I may have embellished some issues with my old mower to justify getting a new one. I never thought of justifying it this way.

"honey, we need a new mower."

"what's wrong with the old one?"

[points at charred mess]

"Oh."

It works though.

:D

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We had a neighbor who had his Kubota catch fire while he was mowing through a bunch of dry leaves. They got the fire out pretty quickly and the tractor was able to be saved, but it was related to the leaves and something on the deck getting hot I believe. My husband rebuilt the deck for him, but I don't remember them having to do any work to the engine.

This reminds me of a friend of mine at work that had his Dixie Chopper burn up. Apparently a mouse had built a nest somewhere (I'm guessing it was in the engine compartment--it's been a few years ago now and my memory has faded a bit) and it finally got hot enough to combust. It was a total loss. Fortunately, his home owner's insurance kicked in and helped out.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Knew a guy who was vacuuming leaves with a pull behind trac-vac. He'd dump leaves, set them on fire, and go suck up some more. Until he drove through some still smoldering ashes with the vac still on.

He said it was spectacular. Like pulling a jet engine.:laugh:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Knew a guy who was vacuuming leaves with a pull behind trac-vac. He'd dump leaves, set them on fire, and go suck up some more. Until he drove through some still smoldering ashes with the vac still on.

D'oh!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Robin! To the Bat Mower!

sljccj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2017
    Franklin
    Spent the afternoon doing yard work. Burnt a stump out yesterday. Made the area a flower bed.
    Put down weed n feed pulled weeds etc

6FC52BC1-54C8-4F54-8335-10C46A13D24B.jpg

037D270F-B622-4A39-9F6B-57B6649BC7DB.jpg

1C3CD22A-8D29-40C1-A877-6B3D8CB29750.jpg

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Mowed our lot with a new ferris and took it with the Bad Boy down to the farms, im happy with those machines :). That being said, the farm was 9" tall easy and all field fertilizer ends up in the lawn making it the thickest, most fertile grass ive ever seen. Chopped that b*tch to 4" with ease

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yesterday, snow plow off, mower deck on.

Also, got my new EGO Power+ string trimmer. No more 2 stroke hassles.
    I got one of those. Eh. It's okay.

I've used electric string trimmers for years. It's not as powerful as my old one. But it's considerably lighter.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've got a Husqvarna string trimmer for over 13 years now and it always starts right up and runs like a scalded dog.

Top Bottom