• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think the better question is why didn't you stand up for your beliefs? You can have a discussion without having an argument. I have had civil discussions with a lot of people about carrying and why I do, often because I open carry.

If Grandpa is anything like mine was it would end up in a toe to toe brawl. Some older gentlemen get Pi$$ed just for the sake of it. Sounds like this may have been one of those situations.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    To defend myself and the Great State of Indiana. See, I paid attention in Guy's class!

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    I carry because I can. I follow the rules (LTCH, gun, holster). You know, everything the gun nazis say I need. Just kidding. I feel it is my responsibility to protect me and mine as well as those that cannot or will not stand in defense of the same. CC or open carry, I don't care, "JUST CARRY". Well, carry responsibly. ~~"One Man's Opinion!"

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Because I want to be able to defend myself and the ones I love from bad people who may be bigger, meaner or more numerous than me. I love your daughter (my fiancé) and could not live with myself if something bad happened to her and I could have prevented with a weapon.

I think it was probably a good idea on your part to keep silent. While you may have been able to hold your own or win a face to face argument with grandpa later on your fiancé would have had to deal with his wrath and probably be put in an uncomfortable position between two people she cares about.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Grandpa is probably from my generation, and OC just wasn't something people did much, times have changed though. I've CC nearly my entire life.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Kirk touched pretty closely on what I was thinking. Lots of older folks have the attitude "We live in a civilized society! Why's that guy uncivilizing the place all up for?". Plain old fear. The wolf was always outside the door, but for many years we pretended he wasn't.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Why do I carry?
    Because this is America, and it is my right.

End of discussion.

Edit, to Kirks point, there's always ignorance.
    Don't discount the ignorance factor.

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

I carry because the police cant be everywhere. I also own multiple fire extinguishers, and am heavily insured against an untimely death. I prepare for the worst and have the tools I need for the job no matter the situation.

And I understand why the OP kept quiet. Sometimes its not worth the strife. I am in the same boat with my SiL. I know that no matter what I say, I'm not going to change her mind. And bringing it up only leaves butthurt all around.

I wish i had said that

Pinger5560

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Columbia City
    Why I Carry?
    Like others have stated, to protect my love one's & other fellow Americans that cannot or won't stand up & do it. I carry & train with the right tool needed for the job of defense. I just don't carry the firearm either, got my knife also. I also carry cause this world suddenly seems to be at a point in the area I live, where gun shops getting robbed, gang violence rises & has started to spread out to areas where it wasn't just a year ago. I think if you make the decision to purchase a pistol for carry, you need to train as much as possible. You need to also train your mind daily, keep asking yourself what would I do in this situation, also learn the correct way to carry either open or conceal, get the correct equipment. Please don't be that guy with the firearm flopping in the breeze or stuck in your pocket a full size pistol.
    Also, like to have it & not need it, than need it & not have it.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I think the better question is why didn't you stand up for your beliefs? You can have a discussion without having an argument. I have had civil discussions with a lot of people about carrying and why I do, often because I open carry.

Because sometimes the other guy can't/won't have a civil discussion.

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

I carry because the police cant be everywhere. I also own multiple fire extinguishers, and am heavily insured against an untimely death. I prepare for the worst and have the tools I need for the job no matter the situation.

And I understand why the OP kept quiet. Sometimes its not worth the strife. I am in the same boat with my SiL. I know that no matter what I say, I'm not going to change her mind. And bringing it up only leaves butthurt all around.

^well said and I can relate. pretty much everyone else in my and my wife's families are good liberal city folk. My mom got upset at my dad when I was little over a pump-BB gun. We lived in the country, 3 houses on the corner and the next house was miles away but guns are evil.

I also purchased another small fire extinguisher to go with the reloading bench/general work bench just built in the extra bedroom.

My wife, though open to the idea of firearms, hadn't really thought things out and asked me the other day why I was carrying around the house with just the 3 of us there (me, her, toddler). I explained finding a comfortable combination of belt, holster, and gun, "That's the point", and lastly gently pointed out the silliness of an unloaded gun locked in a safe on the other end of the house should the population of the house increase unpleasantly.

Jroe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Greenfield
    When asked I usually respond with "I have the tools and training to save myself and my family/friends, and if put in a situation where I could prevent innocent people from being hurt I don't want to live with the guilt of knowing I left my gun at home."

Top Bottom