Why Does Walmart Want To Scan My Receipt?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Keep walking. You signed no agreement to do this.

Sam's Club is one thing, and you have to let them swipe the yellow highlighter. You signed an agreement to be there...

But anywhere else? **** that noise. Say "no thanks" and keep walking. You are under NO obligation for any store to stop you at the door.
    Costco as well...

I watched a guy stroll on past the door/ receipt checker at Costco once, they followed him and again asked for his receipt, he refus d, so the manager was summoned, and they cancelled his membership, and issued him a no trespass warning. His wife was LIVID with him for being a dick and getting them banned from Costco.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    My reaction would be the same as when their transporter malfunction sound effects go off at the door.
    "No. It's your system. You fix it."

No sympathy: I know they have a problem with people trying to steal from them and I know how those people have been made poor.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I have a friend that is currently installing 5g into a few local Walmart stores. Now I know why.
    Yep, soon when 5 G is in full force, there will not be place you go that's not tracked. Eventually people will be microchiped , when you walk by TV screen posted here and there, ads will pop up based on your buying habits. The ultimate form of big brother is only a few years away. Again this isnt tin foil hat conspiracy crap, this is real world technology being developed and perfected and anyone that desires can read about it and find out it's real. You wont be able to buy or sell unless you are registered in the system... sound familiar to anyone?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Ultimately the idea is to rf'id everything in the store; you roll up to the checkout and keep walking right by. They've scanned the items in the basket, scanned your personal chip and you walk out the door. This is something that retail has been working of for several years.
    Yep.. there are some very sinister overtones in this.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    Interesting information. George Orwell, Aldous Huxley and others had it pegged, only off a few years. This reminds me of a book I read titled "Logan's Run" . This future society basically eliminated everyone once they reached 30 years old, and you were tracked with a chip installed when you were born. Logan was a security officer that caught anyone trying to escape the "system". Until he turned 30 and was summoned. Then he became a rebel and ran. Interesting.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Interesting information. George Orwell, Aldous Huxley and others had it pegged, only off a few years. This reminds me of a book I read titled "Logan's Run" . This future society basically eliminated everyone once they reached 30 years old, and you were tracked with a chip installed when you were born. Logan was a security officer that caught anyone trying to escape the "system". Until he turned 30 and was summoned. Then he became a rebel and ran. Interesting.
    Yep, I remember that book.. read it myself.. another one sounds like you may enjoy is called "the giver"
    And Orwell and Huxley did have it nailed:) Another reality that comes to mind is the one projected in "minority report"

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    That was a movie, too. Had to Google it, it's older than I thought- 1976.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Our Walmart hasn't done that recently, they used to do it randomly. Yeah, it's annoying, but I'm not going to take it out on the person just doing their job.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    Our Walmart hasn't done that recently, they used to do it randomly. Yeah, it's annoying, but I'm not going to take it out on the person just doing their job.
    Yeah I dont have any problem with them doing it. I do have some issues being the guinny pigs they use to develope the technology they are eventually going to use to exert complete control over everyone

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    It is a security measure to keep you from "re-using" your receipt. It is in response to a (fairly) common scam, goes like this:

The scammer buys several items legitimately, being sure to get the cashier's attention with smalltalk or flirting (important for later), and leaves the store with the items. A few minutes later the same scammer appears in the same cashier's line with a cart full of the the same items, plus one or two extras...

The scammer then claims that they "forgot to grab" one or two additional items before they checked out earlier, and ask the cashier to ring them up. The scam counts on the cashier remembering the earlier transaction and assuming the items in the cart now are the items she already rang up and collected on. So, the cashier rings up the one or two "additional" items and allows the scammer to walk away with a cart full of duplicate goods. If they get stopped at the door they have a receipt that shows all the items in their possession, so security may be none the wiser. A couple of days later they come back at return the legitimately purchased goods for a cash refund. The stolen goods get used or fenced for additional cash.

Scanning the receipt at the door helps to prevent it from being presented again fraudulently.

Drug addicts are nothing if not creative about how to get cash.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My reaction would be the same as when their transporter malfunction sound effects go off at the door.
    "No. It's your system. You fix it."

No sympathy: I know they have a problem with people trying to steal from them and I know how those people have been made poor.

Trying to understand the bolded portion. Are you saying that the folks running these scams are somehow entitled to do so, because they have been "made" poor?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Sometimes you can go through the check-out and then find out that you forgot to pay for something.

Years ago, I was on the road with my buddy, going off to college and we stopped at a little quick-stop place called "The Sak-O-Suds" to gas up and get some things. We were back in the car, rolling down the highway, and I realized that I'd forgotten to pay for a can of tuna that I'd put in my pocket. My buddy said "We're in Alabama; you could go to jail for that down here." and we both laughed, until I look in the rear-view mirror to see a police car with it's lights on. Turns out we did get arrested, at gun-point and we did get booked and put in jail.

It was a crazy experience, but I was lucky to have a Lawyer in the family. It wasn't fun when it was happening, but looking back, it's actually a funny story.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Sometimes you can go through the check-out and then find out that you forgot to pay for something.

Years ago, I was on the road with my buddy, going off to college and we stopped at a little quick-stop place called "The Sak-O-Suds" to gas up and get some things. We were back in the car, rolling down the highway, and I realized that I'd forgotten to pay for a can of tuna that I'd put in my pocket. My buddy said "We're in Alabama; you could go to jail for that down here." and we both laughed, until I look in the rear-view mirror to see a police car with it's lights on. Turns out we did get arrested, at gun-point and we did get booked and put in jail.

It was a crazy experience, but I was lucky to have a Lawyer in the family. It wasn't fun when it was happening, but looking back, it's actually a funny story.

They should make a movie out of that story!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Read up on what all the new 5G network is incorporating into it, everything from self driving vehicles to DNA scanners, print readers, house hold appliances, pet microchips (and yes eventually human microchips) unless you plan to go completely off grid , growing/raising your own food etc.. compliance won't be optional eventually. This isn't tin foil hat crap, this is the future of a technologically connected world.

Got some links?

They’re just trying to do their job... you can not comply without being a dick.
    Right. Seems like a dick move to get all indignant about someone mindlessly scanning a piece of paper that a person or machine gave you three seconds earlier, and your most likely going to throw away three seconds later.

If you don't like it, don't shop there. Vote with your dollars.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Got some links?

Right. Seems like a dick move to get all indignant about someone mindlessly scanning a piece of paper that a person or machine gave you three seconds earlier, and your most likely going to throw away three seconds later.

If you don't like it, don't shop there. Vote with your dollars.

And think about it. What additional information would they be gathering that the POS register didn't already record when you paid for the items in the first place? It's not as if they're scanning your driver's license (if it wasn't scanned already if you bought booze or smokes). They're just confirming that what's on your receipt is all that you have in your cart.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have on more than one occasion said "Is No an acceptable response?" In response to "Can I take a look at your receipt." All times they have said "no problem, have a good day."

The last time it was JUST a case of beer and the guy watched me put the receipt in my pocket there at the self serve station and walk toward him. He watched me do the transaction and still wanted to be a power tripping jerk.

And dont get me started on Fry's. If they werent a customer of ours and I wasnt usually in there buying on company business I'd tell them to pound sand. (and use my own highlighter later if I needed to do a return) Its not my fault your store layout is a crappy design and you cant tell if I am bypassing the registers or not. And I dont mind a quick cursory glance into the bag, but the one time the guy pretty much inventoried my bag line by line I was furious. I get the "gotta make sure you didnt toss an Xbox game in there", but to make the defacto assumption that SOMETHING in that bag doesnt belong is highly offensive.

Maybe I'll make a couple extra bucks in a lawsuit by taking off running out the door as soon as I'm asked to show my receipt. Maybe I can get loss prevention to tackle me in the parking lot and detain me unjustly and retire early?

Top Bottom