Why Does Walmart Want To Scan My Receipt?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    They may find themselves frustrated at the failure of their RFID scanners and door alarms, if they even notice. "It didn't scan any of that guy's stuff, but then it started working again." The secret is in the RF portion of that RFID. Of course an optical scanner will, um, probably still work. Not that I would do something like that; that would be illegal.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Just let them take the bumpstocks, it's not that big of a deal.

Just... just let them register your handgun, it could be so much worse.

Just ... just let them put that little chip in your finger. It's not like they're putting it in your head.

Just let them have 70% of your income. It could always be 80%.

I've got you figured out, Jetta. :)

Jetta's relationship to 'the slippery slope' (he's the one on the left)

View attachment 75979

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    They already have a digital signature of your items. As long as the digital signature that's passing through the sensors matches the digital signature of what was payed for there's no issue.. each rf ID is a hexadecimal number that is so big they can literally ID every blade of grass if they wanted so no 2 items even if the same thing will have a digital ID that is the same.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yes, huge numbers with hex are possible. It's 16^n where n= number of digits in the number. So while a 5 digit decimal can give you 10,000 different numbers, a five digit hex number can give you 1,048,576-- not coincidentally the number of bytles in a "megabyte."

Extend that to 8 digits and you can generate 4.3 Trillion unique numbers. So if they're using something like 12 or 16 digits on the code, it really is possible to generate mind-numbingly huge numbers-- 281.5 Quadrillion and 18.45 sextillion, respectively.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Of all the problems with Walmart, a quick scan is probably the least offensive.

And TF, I want some links on this brave new world you're describing.

I'll go you one further. If you are parking your car on their lot, entering their building and buying their items, you are doing so on their terms. The only right a person has is to shop elsewhere. There's no "right not to be scanned" after the fact...

Besides, WMT and most others already have detailed profile of you based on your debit/cc info. They know everything ever purchased with that number and have build a demographic profile of you already.

Why do you think those "shopper cards" took off in the 1990s so much? Sell us your info in return for not being overcharged.

If you are a regular shopper at any major grocer or retailer, they can predict your buying habits much better than you think.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmi...-pregnant-before-her-father-did/#18f2fde76668

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'll go you one further. If you are parking your car on their lot, entering their building and buying their items, you are doing so on their terms. The only right a person has is to shop elsewhere. There's no "right not to be scanned" after the fact...

If they want to tell you to not shop there anymore after you refuse to have your stuff scanned, that is their right. But no, they can't make you have it scanned unless you signed an agreement.

Intrusive policies must be agreed to. They can't just say "Well, today we require all shoppers to hop on one foot." No, I didn't agree to that.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why do you think those "shopper cards" took off in the 1990s so much? Sell us your info in return for not being overcharged.

There was another group of people that forced cards on the denizens - they were called the Nazis!

I hate shopping at Kroger, Walgreens, CVS...

If they want to tell you to not shop there anymore after you refuse to have your stuff scanned, that is their right. But no, they can't make you have it scanned unless you signed an agreement.

Intrusive policies must be agreed to. They can't just say "Well, today we require all shoppers to hop on one foot." No, I didn't agree to that.

You also take twenty items into the express lane, don't you?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

I park in the pregnant mommies spots too. Walking from the parking lot like the rest of us is good training for chasing those rug rats around for the next 18 years. If you are pregnant and disabled get a handicap sticker from your doctor.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I park in the pregnant mommies spots too. Walking from the parking lot like the rest of us is good training for chasing those rug rats around for the next 18 years. If you are pregnant and disabled get a handicap sticker from your doctor.
    I'm not proud to say it, but if I wore a wig, I could probably get away with that without a second look. :):

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    There was another group of people that forced cards on the denizens - they were called the Nazis!

I hate shopping at Kroger, Walgreens, CVS...

I noticed at Ho' Foods they don't try to force a card on you. Instead you have to get a Prime membership to qualify for the deals. Thanks, Jeff

As far as all those hexadecimal codes, you need to divide the numbers by 16^3 - because we know the first three digits will always be 6-6-6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I stopped int he Fry's store in Downers Grove IL. 3300 Finley Rd.
    I paid at one of there several check outs all lines up with one path to exit.
    Just before I got to the exit. A man stopped me and said he needed to check my bags and receipt.
    I asked why? His reply,"I needed to check my bags and receipt."
    Again I asked, Why? Again his reply, reply,"I needed to check my bags and receipt."
    I looked his straight in the eye and asked, Are you implying I stole something?
    He waved his hand and said, "Go on."
    I walked out unchecked.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel

Besides, WMT and most others already have detailed profile of you based on your debit/cc info. They know everything ever purchased with that number and have build a demographic profile of you already.

If you are a regular shopper at any major grocer or retailer, they can predict your buying habits much better than you think.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmi...-pregnant-before-her-father-did/#18f2fde76668

The Marsh and Kroger used to print the card number on the receipt. I would find receipts on the floor, in the parking lot, wherever, and print labels with the barcodes of other peoples' cards. I could stick a label on the back of my card, and be someone else for that purchase. This poisoned their database and took me out of it. I don't think I bought anything as myself for several years. I got the discount without giving them anything.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just before I got to the exit. A man stopped me and said he needed to check my bags and receipt.
    Again I asked, Why? Again his reply, reply,"I needed to check my bags and receipt."
    I walked out unchecked.

Lesson to learn: If you want to steal something, just act like a badass.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

I have befuddled store managers for years by asking where the parking for other groups is if expecting mothers have them? Where is the reasonably close parking for vets not handicapped but with bad knees or backs that walking long distances is painful? Heck, where is the reasonably close parking for those that likely qualify for a handicap permit but do not want to abuse the system and save that for truly disabled?

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I walked out unchecked.

Used to live 1 mile from there.....

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have befuddled store managers for years by asking where the parking for other groups is if expecting mothers have them? Where is the reasonably close parking for vets not handicapped but with bad knees or backs that walking long distances is painful? Heck, where is the reasonably close parking for those that likely qualify for a handicap permit but do not want to abuse the system and save that for truly disabled?

Lowe's.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Lesson to learn: If you want to steal something, just act like a badass.

What difference does it make to me if the business gets things stolen? An affront to my honor by a low-wage stranger just doing his job....which he applies equally to everyone else who shops there as well....is too high a price to pay.

The point is- when confronted with a choice between being polite and being a badass, always choose the latter....how else will people know you're a badass?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Open carry?

:)

clinteastwoodnod.gif

Top Bottom