Why Does Walmart Want To Scan My Receipt?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Our Walmart doesn't scan receipts and rarely even asks to see mine, maybe like 4 times that I can remember. I don't have a problem with the attempting to stop thieves though, according to them in 2016 they were losing around $3 billion to theft. I know if it were my business losing $3 billion I'd be putting in some anti theft policies.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Perhaps a good start to theft deterrent would be to have enough employees on the floor. Most of the time I have to walk all the way back up front to find ANYONE if I need to ask about something, or get it unlocked. I actually programed their number in my phone. Now I just stand there and call the front desk. "Yeah, can you send someone back to get me some ammo / mix me some paint / cut some fabric / unlock this electronic doodad / stock the fricking milk / etc".

Of course that usually leads to "Sorry, what department do you want?" "I'm standing in electronics and need some help." "Electronics, just a moment" then the electronics phone rings right in front of me....

:facepalm: :xmad: :wallbash:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    No.

[STRIKE]No ****ing way. [/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]I just pretend they are invisible.[/STRIKE]

Unless you have a real badge I don’t need to entertain your interest in my purchases.

They’re just trying to do their job... you can not comply without being a dick.

Thanks for being my online wife. Sometimes my IRL wife needs to remind me just because I think something doesn't mean I should say it. Still not stopping for their dog and pony show unless they have a real badge.

My reaction would be the same as when their transporter malfunction sound effects go off at the door.
    "No. It's your system. You fix it."

Whenever I hear a buzzer I just ignore it and keep walking. Don't even look back because I know I didn't steal anything.

Seems more like "assuming you're a thief."

Exactly!

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    The ones at Best Buy will really lay it on thick.

Just stopped going there.

Best Buy is the worst! Years ago, I wore my pea coat into Best Buy Castleton, mind you it was pretty cold outside. I was looking at CDs and then didn't buy anything. I was accused of shoplifting to my face, as I left, and told that they couldn't do anything about it because they "didn't actually see me take anything". Only thing I was concealing was my handgun. Total @#$holes. I just walked out in disbelief.

I shopped there over the holidays and found the security guy in Lafayette to be just about as friendly and professional. I can't believe the manager let's that sort of behavior occur. Totally unwelcoming and off-putting.

Ugh. Best Buy.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Best Buy is the worst! Years ago, I wore my pea coat into Best Buy Castleton, mind you it was pretty cold outside. I was looking at CDs and then didn't buy anything. I was accused of shoplifting to my face, as I left, and told that they couldn't do anything about it because they "didn't actually see me take anything". Only thing I was concealing was my handgun. Total @#$holes. I just walked out in disbelief.

I shopped there over the holidays and found the security guy in Lafayette to be just about as friendly and professional. I can't believe the manager let's that sort of behavior occur. Totally unwelcoming and off-putting.

Ugh. Best Buy.

Would have demanded to see the manager in his office, along with that employee. Would have taken off my coat & thrown it at him to look at. Next, if I was in the right mood, I might have started to strip butt ass naked and told him to tell me when it was enough for him to realize I wasn't a thief and apologize, then fire that employee. Next call would have been to corporate before I left the parking lot.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I told the yellow shirt at the Avon Best Buy I was stealing the 65” 4K tv on the cart as I was pushing it out the door past him (having already paid of course). He laughed and told me to have a good night.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    The rule used to be that greeters would only check your receipt if you had an item that wasn't or couldn't be bagged. I had no problem with this. Over the years I have found fewer and fewer reasons to shop at Walmart. I might go there once a month, probably not that. This garbage is one less reason for me to go. I have basically just been going to Aldi's and Kroger for the last few years, and I see that trend increasing after this.

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    It's all about making a presence up front, a visual deterrent.

Wal-Mart has been going in a different direction with their asset protection department these past few years. I did it there for 3 years before leaving. A lot of the high risk stores went from 4 APA's (basically secret shoppers) to 2, or 3 to 1 and the AP managers (APM) are now more focused on backroom responsibilities and are now called AP Assistant managers (AP-ASM)… Basically less focus on actual theft (shrink), so they improvised where they could.

In order to make up for some of that loss (shortage/ shrink) they created the customer host position for the high risk stores and gave the low risk store's door greeter(s) additional responsibilities. AKA, scanning your receipt... it's a deterrent at the door and it also keeps them more engaged with the customers, so that they are more likely to call out suspicious activity to the AP team when they see it.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville

Ugh. Best Buy.

I was at Walmart in Feb of this year looking for a phone case for my wife new phone. Talking to the young lady at the electronics country and a minute later a plain clothes guy can up and pulled her to the side and then walked away. We asked what was going on and she said she saw someone stealing something. We asked why she did not approach the person and she stated it was a policy they could not approach anyone who they think may have shoplifted, they had to call security.

Maybe Bestbuy needs to take lessons on how to approach people who they may suspect.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I noticed the door guy in Best Buy a few weeks ago. We bought a new tv, but it had to be delivered a few days later, as they were out of stock. Anyway, as we walked out empty handed, there was a, umm, rather obese gentleman standing between the doors mean mugging everybody going out! He looked like he was taking his job really serious. I commented to my wife that if we had stolen something, all we would have to do is walk briskly to the car and there was no way he could have caught us.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Of all the problems with Walmart, a quick scan is probably the least offensive.

And TF, I want some links on this brave new world you're describing.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Of all the problems with Walmart, a quick scan is probably the least offensive.

Just let them take the bumpstocks, it's not that big of a deal.

Just... just let them register your handgun, it could be so much worse.

Just ... just let them put that little chip in your finger. It's not like they're putting it in your head.

Just let them have 70% of your income. It could always be 80%.

I've got you figured out, Jetta. :)

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've got you figured out, Jetta. :)

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

You've opened my eyes to all the freedom I've lost. Next shopping trip, I'm just going to grab the stuff, and throw a handful of exact change at a cashier as I bypass the checkout line. And **** sales tax.

Last edited:

Mangledman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Veedersburg
    That is a lot of dishonest ingenuity!!
    I need to learn about how things function around this place. Like where do we go to find out what laws and STATE actions we need to gripe about.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Jump-to-Conclusions-Game-Wins-Funding-On-Shark-Tank-696x392.jpg

You've opened my eyes to all the freedom I've lost. Next shopping trip, I'm just going to grab the stuff, and throw a handful of exact change at a cashier as I bypass the checkout line. And **** sales tax.

THAT'S the SPIRIT!!:rockwoot:

Why hasn’t anyone mentioned screaming “am I being detained?!?!”

Dammit, beat me to it!:laugh:

That is a lot of dishonest ingenuity!!
    I need to learn about how things function around this place. Like where do we go to find out what laws and STATE actions we need to gripe about.

Stick around you'll learn it pretty quickly then the fun begins!:yesway:

Top Bottom