Why Does Walmart Want To Scan My Receipt?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I spend so much time waiting in the aisle before check-out that I do not have the time or the energy to wait in another line to get the receipt checked.

I understand that they want to stop the thieves, and I am all for that. This just seems a bit like take all the guns from everybody so the bad guys can't have them.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My problem with Walmart is showing my ID to buy ammunition. I was told the transaction can't be processed without putting it in.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    My problem with Walmart is showing my ID to buy ammunition. I was told the transaction can't be processed without putting it in.

I remember a while back that they had a policy of not selling handgun ammunition to anyone under 21, but rifle was ok if you were over 18. So, .22LR was ok to an 18 y/o - but what if I intended to shoot it in my .22LR revolver? And .44 Mag for my Ruger 77 is OK of soemone under 21? :)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Listening to a book right now: "Dreamland: The true tale of America's opiate epidemic".

One small part of the book tells how Walmart is part of the economic engine that drives the illegal pill trade. There are pill dealers who will take stolen merchandise, almost always from Walmart at 50 cents on the dollar in trade for Oxy and other pills (which go for $1 per milligram). Besides just flat out stealing, junkies will scour the parking lot for receipts and then go steal the stuff on the receipt and walk right out, showing the receipt if they have to. Scanning the receipt is to keep people from using a receipt more than once. Of course, that's only one Walmart based scam the junkies use.

It's a fascinating book.

By the way, most of us have no idea how much we are being stole from to support the illegal opioid pill industry. One example- people on Medicaid get the prescription and pay a $3 copay for pills that are $1,000 to $1,200 retail, then sell them. While Medicaid has a lower rate for Oxy than full retail, the taxpayers are being soaked for HUNDREDS of dollars every time opioids are obtained on Medicaid. Then, it's worse- than that, because they will get the prescription filled at multiple places.

...and like I said, it's stolen Walmart merchandise (largely) that brings cash into this trade. There are not many other ways to get actual cash for the dealers, especially, than to act as fences for the stuff stolen by junkies.

Scan my receipt. No problem.

Last edited:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't know how they can get one script filled at more than one place.

My son is on a controlled substance for his ADHD and they scan my driver's license before they can sell it to me and they can only sell me 30 pills every 30 days.

I've tried to fill a script early before and have been denied because it was only 28 days since my last purchase.

Maybe it's different in other states.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Listening to a book right now: "Dreamland: The true tale of America's opiate epidemic".

One small part of the book tells how Walmart is part of the economic engine that drives the illegal pill trade. There are pill dealers who will take stolen merchandise, almost always from Walmart at 50 cents on the dollar in trade for Oxy and other pills (which go for $1 per milligram). Besides just flat out stealing, junkies will scour the parking lot for receipts and then go steal the stuff on the receipt and walk right out, showing the receipt if they have to. Scanning the receipt is to keep people from using a receipt more than once. Of course, that's only one Walmart based scam the junkies use.

It's a fascinating book.

By the way, most of us have no idea how much we are being stole from to support the illegal opioid pill industry. One example- people on Medicaid get the prescription and pay a $3 copay for pills that are $1,000 to $1,200 retail, then sell them. While Medicaid has a lower rate for Oxy than full retail, the taxpayers are being soaked for HUNDREDS of dollars every time opioids are obtained on Medicaid. Then, it's worse- than that, because they will get the prescription filled at multiple places.

...and like I said, it's stolen Walmart merchandise (largely) that brings cash into this trade. There are not many other ways to get actual cash for the dealers, especially, than to act as fences for the stuff stolen by junkies.

Scan my receipt. No problem.

I'm skeptical of the highlighted part. DoggyMama takes hydrocodone (has for years) and as soon as the prescription is filled, Medicare knows about it and they won't approve a new refill until exactly 30 days after the first (and it's not really a refill - since they can no longer be refilled). Can't get it even a day early. Her rheumatologist has to call in a new prescription each time.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't know how they can get one script filled at more than one place.

My son is on a controlled substance for his ADHD and they scan my driver's license before they can sell it to me and they can only sell me 30 pills every 30 days.

I've tried to fill a script early before and have been denied because it was only 28 days since my last purchase.

Maybe it's different in other states.

Small, privately owned pharmacies and pharmacists who are in on it. Keep in mind that most of the research for this book, published in 2015, was done from the mid 2000s through around 2010-12. The way things are now is not the way it always was. Now we can see why it is the way it is.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Had someone stopped in front of me the other day, turns out if you have loose items, you will be stopped. Had a friend get her receipt checked but went a bit further then that. Her case (someone ran out to her car to check receipt and said cause she looked the part).

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I had an aggressive woman try to stop me today.

Her: I need to see your receipt
    Me: have a nice day.
    Her: (following me out the door) STOP!
    Me: (not missing a step) no thank you.
    Her: YOU NEED TO SHOW ME YOUR RECEIPT BEFORE YOU WALK OUT THAT DOOR!
    Me: no.

She followed me out the second set of doors before she gave up.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    We don't get this in Winchester. Our China-mart is a different style building. The service desk is right by the entrance in case someone wants to go out that way. The exit doors are on a different wall after the registers, they aren't beside each other. There is nobody at either set of doors.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    That showed her. People need to learn that loss prevention at the expense of 3 seconds just isn’t worth it.
    Walmart chose to save money on wages with their move to self checkout and limited number of staffed checkout lanes. They made a choice based on economics.

My agreed upon transaction was they offered to sell me something and I agree to buy it and give them money. After that as far as I am concerned my transaction is complete.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I'm skeptical of the highlighted part. DoggyMama takes hydrocodone (has for years) and as soon as the prescription is filled, Medicare knows about it and they won't approve a new refill until exactly 30 days after the first (and it's not really a refill - since they can no longer be refilled). Can't get it even a day early. Her rheumatologist has to call in a new prescription each time.

My wife tore her ACL snowboarding while we were in college (2006, I think). She had it surgically repaired, and the doctor sent her with a written prescription for hydrocodone. When we got to CVS, the prescription had been called in, so she picked it up and kept the written one in her purse. Three weeks later, instead of calling the doc for a refill, she just took in the paper script and got another however many pills.

Is that normal? Probably not anymore. But it can happen.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My wife tore her ACL snowboarding while we were in college (2006, I think). She had it surgically repaired, and the doctor sent her with a written prescription for hydrocodone. When we got to CVS, the prescription had been called in, so she picked it up and kept the written one in her purse. Three weeks later, instead of calling the doc for a refill, she just took in the paper script and got another however many pills.

Is that normal? Probably not anymore. But it can happen.

Definitely not that way anymore. Sounds like that particular doc just messed up. Never had one call in a script (for anything) AND give me a paper script too. It's always either one or the other. For a brief time recently when they first tightened up the regulations, they weren't even allowed to call in scripts for controlled substances, but they have since relaxed that rule, but I believe there are extra steps or paperwork that doctors have to go through to be able to call them in now. When they first stopped allowing refills, DoggyMama's rheumatologist would just write her 6 paper scripts so she could just take one in each month instead of having to come to the office once a month.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Our family doctor electronically sends in all prescriptions, no more paper. After my wife birthed our last child, they gave us a paper prescription and no electronic from the hospital. When our toddler had an ear infection a few years ago, the clinic sent it electronically. Just depends I guess on who and where they’re doing it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Fry's stores does the same thing.
    The cash registers are a short guided distance from the exit.
    A man stepped in front of me and asked for my receipt.
    In surprised I said, "What"?
    he responded, I need to see your receipt.
    He again repeated, I need to see your receipt.
    I was still a bit caught off guard by the question.
    I looked him straight in the eye and said, You think I stole something?
    He stopped talking and stepped back and said, have a nice day.
    I never stopped walking.

Top Bottom