Why the disdain for the French military?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    2mov31e.jpg

it doesnt look like this guy has spent too much time in fancy track suits.

i dont have any beef w/ the french miltary. ive never worked with them. i dont much care for france itself though.

:D lol this french Légionnaire looks badass.I dont think anyone ever told him that the french military sucks.You only see that over the internet.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Name one central European country that would have done better against the Wehrmacht at that time.

Probably none of them. Hitler diverting bombers away from the bombing of British airfields is probably the only reason there is even an England today. Their track record of ground engagement with Germany was almost as bad as the French, they only lasted since they were not a neighboring country. But the fact that a sovereign country with a military only matched by 3-4 other nations at the time only lasted 17 days is despicable.

A single American division under very similar circumstances was able to hold out for months, inflict massive casualties on the Germans and hold the position against all odds. I am of course referring to the 101st Airborne and Bastone. Outnumbered, outgunned, no air support, and no resupply yet they held the line. All because they used their brain and weren't screwed over by the commanders. The French are very capable of fighting, but its like General Patton said "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." They might have had the will to fight, but there is little to no evidence to suggest the French generals had that same will.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    And that every able bodied citizen is a rifleman with the best military weapons available in their homes or with them at all times.
    the best military small arms available in their homes or with them at all times. the swiss probably wouldnt have fared much better against tanks and aircraft than the french did.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    True, but they were a bit too friendly with the Nazis IMO. They did hold their own against the Soviets though.

I agree, but the Allies kind of cold shouldered them when Russia invaded, and "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" probably applied there afterwards.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I agree, but the Allies kind of cold shouldered them when Russia invaded, and "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" probably applied there afterwards.

They are a unique case. They were a Democracy, but were not technically a member of the Axis powers as they didn't sign the treaty (the exact name escapes me). They DID make extreme efforts to keep their military under national control and not that of the Nazi's.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    because they have that horrible pretentious accent

LOL :D

You will learn that ladies like the french accent. ;)
    I got some free drinks in restaurants here in the US just because I ordered with a french accent.True story. :):

Of course guys call it "pretentious" but we all know its jealousy speaking.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    His BS? De Gaulle did the good thing by dropping out of NATO.He wanted France to be protected by its own forces and not only by NATO.He created the French nuclear programm who made France the third nuclear power in the world (after the US and Russia).

What? France has not protected itself for 100 Years! WTF?

So they decided to snub the West, give the USSR a propaganda boost by dropping out of NATO. The US was the ONLY one that could have held the USSR back at that time and any time until the wall fell. It was a snub.

If you think you understand this then fine but do a little research on the EF2000 and the Rafale....its classic French arrogance! This was the same thing they did dropping out of NATO command structure.

2mov31e.jpg

it doesnt look like this guy has spent too much time in fancy track suits.

i dont have any beef w/ the french miltary. ive never worked with them. i dont much care for france itself though.

Well all I have to say is this, the French Foreign Legion are some bad arse SOB's....Keep in mind one thing, most of them are NOT French.

Challenge Accepted!
    challenge-accepted.jpg

Switzerland

That is not even laughable. Nobody would have invaded the swiss. Why? Why screw your credit line? You going to hold some mountains? What good would it have done? That is why no one has ever invaded the Swiss. The Swiss play both sides of the game.

But the honorable mention of the Finns was nice. Naive but nice.

:n00b::n00b::n00b::D:n00b::n00b::n00b:

Top Bottom