Why the disdain for the French military?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    True, but they were a bit too friendly with the Nazis IMO. They did hold their own against the Soviets though.

After the Soviets invaded Finland in 1939 (21 full divisions), and nobody stepped up to help, that's not surprising. Finland was left to deal with the USSR all by themselves. But they did what they could to remain autonomous.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Challenge Accepted!
    Switzerland

I don't like engaging in speculation, but I think it would have been very easy for the Germans to seize the main Swiss cities and effectively shut down the government. By the way, Switzerland was not the only neutral country that Germany did not invade.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    But the fact that a sovereign country with a military only matched by 3-4 other nations at the time only lasted 17 days is despicable.

No argument there.

A single American division under very similar circumstances was able to hold out for months, inflict massive casualties on the Germans and hold the position against all odds. I am of course referring to the 101st Airborne and Bastone. Outnumbered, outgunned, no air support, and no resupply yet they held the line. All because they used their brain and weren't screwed over by the commanders.

I think the timing, training, and circumstances were different. The French accomplished the same feat in Na San and other battles in Indochina.

The French are very capable of fighting, but its like General Patton said "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." They might have had the will to fight, but there is little to no evidence to suggest the French generals had that same will.

I have read that before from Patton and never understood it since in the First World War his opinions of Foch and other French leadership was high.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Finland could've lasted more that 17 days.

Either your geography or attention to detail is a bit off. I said Central European country at that time. The geographical barriers would not have allowed Germany to pull off what they did in France.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Not at all I can think of Several that are actually Better than we are. ;)
    Our Military has LOTS of issues also. Which is one of the reasons why I have such disdain for the bad ones out there...
    So try again...

Maybe this should be another thread, but military is better than ours?

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    You're forgetting how much of France sided with the Nazis. Vichy.

That was not the official government of France.But sure the goverment of Vichy was a sad part in France's history.
    While France was occupied the Free French Government was based in London.
    After the war most people from the Vichy Government were judged for being so "friendly" with the Nazis.

Thats what I dislike about the French Military, they fired on us when we landed in Africa. Americans got killed.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The French military reputation took a beating after getting over run and conquered twice in 30 years and needing someone (US) to come save their backsides both times.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    for-sale-french-cowards-army-military-demotivational-poster-1255919376.jpg

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    In a rather timely article, Eric Margolis actually has some insight to this issue. Given the circumstances of WW2 the French actually did rather well. Their cowardice is nothing more than a myth.

Let’s Bury These Phony Myths About World War II by Eric Margolis

Lost interest after this...
    "First, France’s army did not simply surrender or run away in 1940, as ignorant American know-nothing conservatives claim."

For a person who is trying to come off as reasonable, he's quick to assign labels.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    Either your geography or attention to detail is a bit off. I said Central European country at that time. The geographical barriers would not have allowed Germany to pull off what they did in France.

I agree with your original statement, so I went outside the box.

Top Bottom