Why the disdain for the French military?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Why my Disdain for the French Military?!

Because I have had to work around and with them several times...
    They are not the Only European Country that I have Disdain for their Military either...
    Matter of Fact there are far more bad Militaries than there are good ones...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Why my Disdain for the French Military?!

Because I have had to work around and with them several times...
    They are not the Only European Country that I have Disdain for their Military either...
    Matter of Fact there are far more bad Militaries than there are good ones...

I bet the US military is about the only good one you can think of right? :D

Just saying ...

:twocents:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I bet the US military is about the only good one you can think of right? :D

Just saying ...

:twocents:

Not at all I can think of Several that are actually Better than we are. ;)
    Our Military has LOTS of issues also. Which is one of the reasons why I have such disdain for the bad ones out there...
    So try again...

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Text / The Complete Military History of France

Most of it was that French politicians hated GWB's decision to go into A-stan and then Iraq (mostly Iraq) and not without good reason. This turned into a "you hate our military, it must be cuz your military sucks" kinda thing with the general France-hating public. And we have larger Privates. Smaller Corporals, but larger Privates.

French people are in general snooty towards Americans, even still

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Text / The Complete Military History of France

Most of it was that French politicians hated GWB's decision to go into A-stan and then Iraq (mostly Iraq) and not without good reason. This turned into a "you hate our military, it must be cuz your military sucks" kinda thing with the general France-hating public. And we have larger Privates. Smaller Corporals, but larger Privates.

French people are in general snooty towards Americans, even still

I dont know how many french people you personally know who are "snooty" towards Americans.
    Maybe its what you hear on the news. :dunno:
    I feel like some Americans hate french people because they hear "the french hate us" and the french hear that Americans hate them.
    Most of the time they dont even know eachother and hate for no reason.
    I personally know lots of americans who love french people and lots of french people who love americans.
    I also hate some americans and some french but that's just because they are *******s lol.It has nothing to do with their nationality, its just individuals.
    I have family and friends in both France and in the USA so it really bugs me when I hear "the french this" or "the americans that" coming most of the time from people who dont know anyone from those groups.
    I love both countries just like you would love both your father and your mother.I lived in both countries and there are things I like and dislike in both but I still support them both.
    That's why I dont like when I hear bad things about americans or french.
    Kinda like when your mother and father are fighting I guess. :n00b:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I dont know how many french people you personally know who are "snooty" towards Americans.
    Maybe its what you hear on the news. :dunno:
    I feel like some Americans hate french people because they hear "the french hate us" and the french hear that Americans hate them.
    Most of the time they dont even know eachother and hate for no reason.
    I personally know lots of americans who love french people and lots of french people who love americans.
    I also hate some americans and some french but that's just because they are *******s lol.It has nothing to do with their nationality, its just individuals.
    I have family and friends in both France and in the USA so it really bugs me when I hear "the french this" or "the americans that" coming most of the time from people who dont know anyone from those groups.
    I love both countries just like you would love both your father and your mother.I lived in both countries and there are things I like and dislike in both but I still support them both.
    That's why I dont like when I hear bad things about americans or french.
    Kinda like when your mother and father are fighting I guess. :n00b:

I think some of the misunderstanding is based on mistaking Parisians for French people more generally. The only time I encountered any French "snootiness" or hate towards me as an American when I was there was in Paris. Out in the rest of the country, people seemed as nice and welcoming as anywhere else I've been.

Granted, that was all pre-9/11, pre-Iraq II, pre-Afghanistan, so maybe it's different now. :dunno:

clownsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Fishers
    I'm glad this post is here. The French, pre WWII were a centuries-old military powerhouse. Where do you think the words bayonette, artillery, and grenade come from?

I'm not even sure centuries old gives them enough credit. The French/Frankish culture started in earnest with Charles "The Hammer" Martel at the battle of Tours in 732.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think some of the misunderstanding is based on mistaking Parisians for French people more generally. The only time I encountered any French "snootiness" or hate towards me as an American when I was there was in Paris. Out in the rest of the country, people seemed as nice and welcoming as anywhere else I've been.

Granted, that was all pre-9/11, pre-Iraq II, pre-Afghanistan, so maybe it's different now. :dunno:

LOL :D I agree with that.
    Im french but not from Paris and Parisians look down at everybody including other french people not from Paris.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm glad this post is here. The French, pre WWII were a centuries-old military powerhouse. Where do you think the words bayonette, artillery, and grenade come from?

I'm not even sure centuries old gives them enough credit. The French/Frankish culture started in earnest with Charles "The Hammer" Martel at the battle of Tours in 732.

:yesway:
    The words "Army" and "Military" come from the french "Armée" and "Militaire".
    "Pistolet" gave the word "Pistol", "canon" stayed the same, "cartouche" became "cartridge" and so on, the list is long.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Ran around France for 4 years. Seen much of it. Met LOTS of French Peoples, mostly Young Ladies, well there were some angry Boyfriends and husbands there also...
    Out of all my time there I only found 3 groups of People there I did not care for, Parisians, Boyfriends and Husbands...

Still about the same... ;)
    :yesway:
    The words "Army" and "Military" come from the french "Armée" and "Militaire".
    "Pistolet" gave the word "Pistol", "canon" stayed the same, "cartouche" became "cartridge" and so on, the list is long.
    Point is?!
    They USED to be Mighty and Awesome. 300 years ago... Since the 1800's not so much, why do you think that is...

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Here's the deal. It's not disdain for the French army. It's pretty much disdain for the French. Where else can pedophile rapists run to in order to escape justice and at the same time this same country will tell us how uncivil we are?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You're forgetting how much of France sided with the Nazis. Vichy.

That was not the official government of France.But sure the goverment of Vichy was a sad part in France's history.
    While France was occupied the Free French Government was based in London.
    After the war most people from the Vichy Government were judged for being so "friendly" with the Nazis.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ironically, it is probably the same type of Americans that love the french that the French disdain for being the "ignorant american" stereotype. funny isn't it?

its not just the French that hold that stereotype, and its not an off-base stereotype either. The average European that I met and talked to knew more about American Geography and Politics than the average American knew about American G&P, let alone European G&P. I blame the schools, Standardized tests, parents and society. (not quite purple, not quite black. perfect.)

Top Bottom