• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The sad thing is I don't accept, on face value, any claims of military service anymore. There have always been posers, but I think with the internet they get sniffed them out more frequently these days.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Great article. I hate military posers. If you want to act like a soldier spend 8 or 12 weeks of misery doing countless amounts of push-ups and running for miles, to then get shipped to God knows where and not be allowed to have an opinion or disagree for 2 or 4 years. Being woke up at all hours of the night for alerts or go " camping" for a couple of weeks with no amenities. You have to earn the right to wear the uniform AND get to say you " we're in". Briefly before going wall doesn't count. I don't regret a minute of my time but I don't want it cheapened or capitalized on by somebody with no honor.

Markedup

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I read the blog and some of the comments.
    One commenter claimed three DD214's.
    I claim one.
    I wonder who on INGO claims the most.
    Many got called back up for Korea, I know.

Thanks

Mark

And, do we say "Thank you for your service"( sum total),
    or, "Thank you for your services"

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yes, but I'm not one to believe there's been a crime if you can't find a victim. To commit fraud, someone must be defrauded. Besides, SCOTUS overturned the Stolen Valor Act, saying it was a breach of first amendment protected speech, and in this case, I have to agree. If you paid them for training based upon a resume that was falsified, there might be a lawsuit there somewhere. If you respected them because of what they said about themselves, then maybe you should be more discerning. There's nothing stopping you from exposing the truth.

Yep, talking about taking $$ on false pretense.

Agreed, freedom of speech is there to protect that speech which is not popular, etc. But lying about qualifications as part of your business practice is fraud.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    I read the blog and some of the comments.
    One commenter claimed three DD214's.
    I claim one.
    I wonder who on INGO claims the most.
    Many got called back up for Korea, I know.

Thanks

Mark

And, do we say "Thank you for your service"( sum total),
    or, "Thank you for your services"

I would suppose that there are several if not many on here that can claim to have received multiple DD-214's and for a variety of reasons. I actually received three. The first when I was discharged as a E5 to be appointed as a Warrant Officer WO1. The second when I was discharged as a CW2 and commissioned as a 2LT in the Infantry. And my third and final one when I separated from active duty as a 1LT U.S.Army Infantry. Only the third one tells the complete story though and is my official service record.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I have two. In the Army National Guard you get active duty orders to go to basic training. So at the end of basic and Infantry school, I was separated from active duty, which was my first DD 214. Did a stint on actives duty orders for recruiting, and at the end received a second. When you ETS from the guard, you get something different called an NGB 22. Don't have me one of those yet.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    News flash: We are a society that values appearance over substance! Folks with zero debt, that drive older cars and live in average neighborhoods are not the ones celebrated. Instead, it's folks that get butt implants, buy houses they cannot afford and drive cars that have them up to their eyeball in debt that are celebrated. Ferrari does not make manual transmissions any longer. A lot of the folks that buy them don't drive them for the joy of being one with a machine, they just want to be seen in them and it's embarrassing to be seen in a car you don't have the skill to shift.

One of the things that has kept me coming back to INGO is that it's a place that you can find folks that reject that BS and are not afraid of calluses. Not everyone can serve, but it's nice to hang with a crowd that respects those that do or did.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Spent twenty-one years in the Army and retired, have a son in law who unfortunatly ddin't make it through Navy Boot Camp due to medical reasons, which one of us is less a veteran, I know what the rules and regulations say, but I am just as proud of his limited service as I am my own, he chose to volunteer, and to serve, so it didn't work out, he tried. I know of many a citizen who have never served, or would have but for some reason couldn't. Good people all, I salute their patriotism, it's the ones that are fakes, who portray themselves as hero's that chap my A$$, there are many PX Generals serving in the military who sport a badge or piece of tin they did or didn't earn. Not many because they are quickly weeded out, but they are there. I received two new and one recurrent medal at my retirement cerimony, they and all the others now turn to dry dust in the attic. After twenty-one years of honorable service, I too have a couple of DD-214's, back in the day, you got one for completing your initial service requirement, then at retirement you got one too, mine is in several pages because it had so much stuff in it, I have a continuation page................who cares? That 214 and fifty three cents gets me a cup of senior coffee here at work each morning. Am I a weapons expert? Hell no, I have seen and served with he best in the business, I have also seen folks who will only die in battle, because they had no clue what to do with the weapon they were issued.

I have met so many men over the years who, when asked about their service (I was once a State Disabled Veterans Representative) (DVOP), have said to me SPECIAL FORCES VIETNAM................turns out only a few actualy were, and they never to a man talked very much about it.

So does military service equate to weapons expertice? Hardly, unless your Military Occupation Specialty (MOS) included it, AND you spent years training others to handle weapons.

Does military service equate to a certin level of Patriotism? maybe, but I also know many who couldn't serve, who are just as patriotic as I am.

"It is what it is", most Veterans develop a BS indicator that works pretty well.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have a few DD-214s. None of them tell the whole story. I have a particular medal that I received five times. The last three all say third award. ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    These discussions always make me remember my uncles who both served with honor and retired from the Army after many many years of dedicated service. They both passed from the long term effects of that dedication.
    To those who ride the lies for profit........I have no words to describe my contempt.
    For those who served with honor.........My thanks and deepest respect.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    "If you always tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

Retired USAF SMSgt with 21+ years active duty. I've never done anything gallant or heroic, I just showed up and did my job. Sometimes I did that job in places that sounded interesting, most often the places were nothing to write home about. I could not even consider claiming a status, decoration or achievement I didn't earn. For the lack of a better way to put it, that would be just so wrong.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I think its because we've received so much support from the Citizens of the United States that they want to be part of it. I'm sure there wasn't as many faking to be a Vietnam Veteransin the 60's and 70's when those HEROES were treated like :poop:.

Top Bottom