• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    People that served, but didn't see combat, shouldn't feel ashamed of calling themselves a veteran. Even during World War 2, we had over 12 million men under arms. Upwards of 40% of the troops deployed were logistical support or HQ/Admin (sometimes more or sometimes less, depending on the unit), not to mention all the people that were stateside, keeping the war machine running. Since World War 2, our percentage of support troops has increased, up to 60% (even higher if you include civilian contractors performing roles that formerly were done by soldiers). All these people do essential jobs that keep the guys fighting. If they weren't there, I don't care how tough and well trained our troops are, they wouldn't make it very far without ammo, fuel, medical support, food, intelligence, etc.

Personally, the way I look at it (not having served myself), if you volunteered to be put in harms way and potentially maimed or killed in service of your country, that means something, whether they stuck a rifle in your hands, a spatula and a potato peeler, or a laptop.

That all being said, if you are someone like me (again, not having served) and you go about lying about your service to get respect/discounts/ladies etc, that's despicable and should be called out.

It's a problem because I want to support veterans on my campus. I didn't say it was their problem, but it is a problem, because no one should see themselves in a lesser light because they didn't earn a tab or deploy seven times.

I'm not the least bit ashamed of my service. I just don't see the need of broadcasting it to the world and having it attached to my driver's license so I can get a discount. If I help an old lady across the street, should I get a hat printed with it so I can be congratulated for it?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm not the least bit ashamed of my service. I just don't see the need of broadcasting it to the world and having it attached to my driver's license so I can get a discount. If I help an old lady across the street, should I get a hat printed with it so I can be congratulated for it?

No.....but that is what we do as gentlemen.......:)

MjQ-G18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Greenfield
    Very interesting article. I had no idea stuff like this happens and that cory and erika youtube channel is so large. I have never even heard of them. I think this sort of thing is truly disrespectful of the people who have served in any sort of way and they should be shut down by respectful american citizens.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    So tell me......his sacrifice, near loosing life and limb, loosing his brother..........Does that not make him worthy of the title.

Just asking not trying to be snarky. My uncles never pushed the fact on others. They enjoyed the anonymity but during the Nam there was much hate for those in uniform. Different times.

I think so. He's gone now too, and I didn't really get to know him until he was elderly and spent some time with him. He never told any "war stories", but he did tell me several times about Marlene Detrich visiting the military hospital he was in and how she sat on his bed while visiting with the injured men, and a Stars and Stripes photographer took some photos, but the one that ended up in the publication didn't show his face. He would laugh and say "I thought I'd have my 15 minutes of fame, but it didn't work out".

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    "No punishment. The reward for a job well done".

Actually I was just ever so happy when they quit spitting on us. (This actually happened to me twice in 1970 once in San Francisco where it was somewhat expected and again in Muncie, IN where I was not expecting it. :rolleyes:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Actually I was just ever so happy when they quit spitting on us. (This actually happened to me twice in 1970 once in San Francisco where it was somewhat expected and again in Muncie, IN where I was not expecting it. :rolleyes:

Both my uncles experienced this. Both were deeply disturbed.

I did not serve. I have deep regrets due to this. I was (birth day) #24 in the 1st draft lottery. I was making plans for the 1 way (at least) boat ride west. I was not going to run north. My uncles both advised me to seek refuge if possible and do my best not to partake. I was set back at this suggestion. I held them both (still do) in the highest respect. Until that time I was going to enlist so I had options. Then my girl friend became pregnant and I received (without my involvement) a 4-A deferment. They stopped giving those out shortly after. My uncles were pleased. Years later, I came to know why.

The spitter's are now running the country. Kind of puts things in perspective.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

I remember my dad taking us kids to a horse show at the fairgrounds in Columbus, Ohio in about 1969 (Dad liked horses, us kids liked the Coke and hotdogs). We were walking to the stadium and were waiting to cross the street while a huge black horse came klopping past. There was a young man on crutches and who was missing a leg, the empty leg of his pants sewed closed just under his hip. He and my dad exchanged a joke about the horse walking like he was drunk and they both chuckled before we went on our way. At the time, I didn't think anything about the war, or that he most likely was injured in Viet Nam, I was probably 7. What I still remember was the loneliness and sadness in his eyes, even as he smiled at the idea of a drunk horse.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I think so. He's gone now too, and I didn't really get to know him until he was elderly and spent some time with him. He never told any "war stories", but he did tell me several times about Marlene Detrich visiting the military hospital he was in and how she sat on his bed while visiting with the injured men, and a Stars and Stripes photographer took some photos, but the one that ended up in the publication didn't show his face. He would laugh and say "I thought I'd have my 15 minutes of fame, but it didn't work out".

I watched the "making of" or whatever it was called of Band of Brothers. They interviewed several of the actors who played the different soldiers. One of them said he would talk to the guy he was portraying to get info on how to play the part and was actually getting kind of frustrated with him. He said the guys would only really tell stories about their fellow soldiers and not themselves. He finally figured out that if he wanted to portray that soldier, he was going to have to get the info from everyone else and not the guy he was portraying.

For guys who literally went to hell and back that refuse to toot their own horn, there's a big difference between them and guys walking around with "Viet Nam ERA Veteran" hats. I was in the guard unit 2003. I wonder what all kind of Afghanistan or Iraq ERA hats I can find.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I watched the "making of" or whatever it was called of Band of Brothers. They interviewed several of the actors who played the different soldiers. One of them said he would talk to the guy he was portraying to get info on how to play the part and was actually getting kind of frustrated with him. He said the guys would only really tell stories about their fellow soldiers and not themselves. He finally figured out that if he wanted to portray that soldier, he was going to have to get the info from everyone else and not the guy he was portraying.

For guys who literally went to hell and back that refuse to toot their own horn, there's a big difference between them and guys walking around with "Viet Nam ERA Veteran" hats. I was in the guard unit 2003. I wonder what all kind of Afghanistan or Iraq ERA hats I can find.

I saw that whole series. It was enlightening to watch those interviews and I understand the mind set.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It's a problem because I want to support veterans on my campus. I didn't say it was their problem, but it is a problem, because no one should see themselves in a lesser light because they didn't earn a tab or deploy seven times.
    Most vets who served during a hot war didn't shoot or get shot at. It takes a lot of people to support those actually in combat. They are all veterans and deserving of respect. It also applies to those who were drafted and honorably served. I don't understand any vet who would not take advantage of the benefits that they earned because they don't feel worthy. All that being said, and I can't believe that I'm agreeing with hornadylnl, but I like to keep a low profile and don't wear any logo apparel showing any service. I consider it an honor to have served. I did it of my own accord, while ignoring a lot of well-meaning advice of people trying to talk me out of signing up. I still have no regrets and couldn't give a darn about the kind of people who protested by taking it out on service members.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I should clarify that I'm not embarrassed in any way, I just want my sons to understand that there is a difference between a combat veteran and a veteran. I've gotten more comfortable with it over time. I'll stand up at baseball games when they ask veterans to do so, for example, which I wouldn't do before. I have taken advantage of a few veteran's benefits - such as the USAA car discount. And I do tell stories about my experiences (just ask my Scouts!). I'm just concerned about the stolen valor thing and so I try to keep anything I say pretty low-key.

This reminds me of a story a comedienne told the other day. She was in an airport out West and saw a man in camouflage meeting what was clearly his wife and children. She told her husband, "I'm going to go over there and thank that man for his service." She immediately started walking across the concourse, ignoring her husband who was telling her to stop. She got up to the man and touched his shoulder. Just as he and his whole family turned to look at her, her husband caught up to her and said "Leave that man alone, he's not a soldier he's a hunter!"

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Most vets who served during a hot war didn't shoot or get shot at. It takes a lot of people to support those actually in combat. They are all veterans and deserving of respect. It also applies to those who were drafted and honorably served. I don't understand any vet who would not take advantage of the benefits that they earned because they don't feel worthy. All that being said, and I can't believe that I'm agreeing with hornadylnl, but I like to keep a low profile and don't wear any logo apparel showing any service. I consider it an honor to have served. I did it of my own accord, while ignoring a lot of well-meaning advice of people trying to talk me out of signing up. I still have no regrets and couldn't give a darn about the kind of people who protested by taking it out on service members.

It's certainly an individual choice. People do things for different reasons.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

I didn't say you were ashamed. I'm talking about the students I've encountered who were. I'm not even talking about broadcasting or advertising one's service. I'm talking about an earned benefit that will help these young men in life. The "discount" I'm talking about is in excess of $30,000 and I don't se that as insignificant.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There is honor in "signing the blank check" and just being willing to do what's necessary. No one need be ashamed that they didn't do more than that.

But, there's nothing wrong with people wanting to keep a low profile either. Many people would rather downplay what they did than come anywhere close to being accused of inflating it.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    So the fact I served at The Pentagon during the Viet Nam war and I was not in combat means I should not be a member of The American legion? The Legion where I take care of the Honor Guard Rifles, and for the last 5 years have shown up and participated in all but one Funeral Detail for a Veteran that has passed, whether combat veteran or not.

BTW, the one detail I did miss I was in the hospital.

I served 50 years ago, and am still serving. No one ever asked for my oath back.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I might add, ever imagine what it takes for a 70+ year old man to stand at attention in 5 below weather for 1/2 an hour, or in 95+ degree heat for an hour or more? I know as do more than a few of my fellow Legion members.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    So the fact I served at The Pentagon during the Viet Nam war and I was not in combat means I should not be a member of The American legion? The Legion where I take care of the Honor Guard Rifles, and for the last 5 years have shown up and participated in all but one Funeral Detail for a Veteran that has passed, whether combat veteran or not.

BTW, the one detail I did miss I was in the hospital.

I served 50 years ago, and am still serving. No one ever asked for my oath back.

I might add, ever imagine what it takes for a 70+ year old man to stand at attention in 5 below weather for 1/2 an hour, or in 95+ degree heat for an hour or more? I know as do more than a few of my fellow Legion members.

From a son of a Marine I would like to thank you for what you do. When my father passed there were Honor Guards men there to give my father a very nice military funeral. They played taps, and gave him a 21 gun salute, and gave a short speech. It's because of people like you that we can give our veterans the send off that they deserve.

Thank You.

Top Bottom