• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Yeah - the tools don't seem to be part of the actual package, just the documentation.

Now... if you have a d/l for the tools, that'd be a hot ticket.
    It would also go from 500 Mb to hundreds of Gigabytes. But I am sure many if not most of them are readily available if you know where to look. Most of this stuff was a few years old already and many of the vulnerabilities that were exploited by this stuff, already patched. Although I am sure they have new vulnerabilities that they are exploiting today.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It would also go from 500 Mb to hundreds of Gigabytes. But I am sure many if not most of them are readily available if you know where to look. Most of this stuff was a few years old already and many of the vulnerabilities that were exploited by this stuff, already patched. Although I am sure they have new vulnerabilities that they are exploiting today.

It looks to me like they had some solid internally developed tools. Some of them built on the black market stuff, but the internal builds leveraged the undocumented zero day vulns, I think.

There are also code snippets and pseudo code methodologies to help train new haxxors.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It looks to me like they had some solid internally developed tools. Some of them built on the black market stuff, but the internal builds leveraged the undocumented zero day vulns, I think.

There are also code snippets and pseudo code methodologies to help train new haxxors.
    They probably had access to information not accessible in the wild as well.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Brief and super-informed video... how to tell if you're vulnerable to the CIA hacks.

[video=youtube;w4-eJL1jjVQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4-eJL1jjVQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    [virtual teal] Beginning to see 'news' outlets spin this as 'wikileaks released these exploits/hacking tools' or 'what wikileaks has revealed will allow skilled individuala to fill in the blanks and replicate the exploits/ tools' all the while very much down-playing that the tools/exploits are already in the wild with full code due to carelessness of CIA. MSM helping one of their sources with damage control? [end virtual teal]

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, I also saw a MSM reference to the "release of CIA malware." No. It isn't malware. Its state-sponsored hacking.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I saw a report saying how this release puts us more at risk now, because the terrorists now know how to stop from getting hacked by us.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I saw a report saying how this release puts us more at risk now, because the terrorists now know how to stop from getting hacked by us.
    Actually, in that sense, it would be a serious disruption of their communications. These tools basically confirm that any device that is or has been on the market since the mid-2000s is hackable.

I guess there's no evidence that sat phones are part of that, but that's more NSA work than CIA.

If they try to use the internet for anything, it is at risk of being intercepted.

I think this would even apply to steganography. The tools and methods suggest they are able to get root access to connected computers, and could track what happens on those computers. They'd basically have access to the data before it was encrypted into the host file.

They'd have to have an air-gapped set of computers, not connected to the internet, and bring data to them on a thumb drive (which would be vulnerable) or other media like a CD/DVD or SD card, I guess, and hope that the media didn't contain the CIA's code.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Actually, in that sense, it would be a serious disruption of their communications. These tools basically confirm that any device that is or has been on the market since the mid-2000s is hackable.

I guess there's no evidence that sat phones are part of that, but that's more NSA work than CIA.

If they try to use the internet for anything, it is at risk of being intercepted.

I think this would even apply to steganography. The tools and methods suggest they are able to get root access to connected computers, and could track what happens on those computers. They'd basically have access to the data before it was encrypted into the host file.

They'd have to have an air-gapped set of computers, not connected to the internet, and bring data to them on a thumb drive (which would be vulnerable) or other media like a CD/DVD or SD card, I guess, and hope that the media didn't contain the CIA's code.

I heard a report yesterday warning people that plug their phones in to charge them in public may be susceptible to hacking because the cord acts as an antenna, etc. Next thing you'll know is that even connecting your computer onto the electrical grid provides a way in to get the information. :D

Top Bottom