• ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    17202806_1265722306796212_6363463337475185471_n.jpg

Don't need to break encryption when you can just essentially "look over their shoulder" while they read it.

The solution to that is so simple... stop being lazy. Use a "digital airlock".

Download the encrypted file, copy to a storage device, open and decrypt in a virtual machine on a secured computer with no wireless capability and never connected to the internet, wipe or destroy when finished.

The spook would need to be physically present at the computer to view the encrypted data.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm guessing the response to this is going to be casual snark and lackluster.

An incredibly massive breach of privacy and trust... involving major household names and companies. Very few people will hear about it, and fewer people will care. "Oh we knew they were doing that." Doesn't make it right.

Feels pretty dirty.

Doubt the gov will care... just instills more fear into the people. Probably a win for them.

The most striking thing about the WikiLeaks CIA data dump is how little most people cared

Pretty much. I can't really put my finger on why though. Like I said before, probably the level of "we already figured as much"... Is the fear that your computer or TV is linked back to the CIA keeping people from being pissed about it? Does it give off that much of a dystopian feel to keep people quiet?

Or perhaps another angle... people don't buy what Wikileaks is selling?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I've wondered if there's a mix of 2 factors:
    - hope that the CIA is focusing on "the bad guys"
    - most people's lives are boring and they don't think there is much risk of these tools being used on them.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    - most people's lives are boring and they don't think there is much risk of these tools being used on them.

Pretty much this. I think people are getting used to seeing the sausage being made. I *want* a robust intelligence service. We have enemies, and I'd rather not be wandering around the global stage blindfolded because of what could be done with a given tool. They've got nuclear bombs that can end the world. I'm worried they can listen to my cell phone?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Pretty much this. I think people are getting used to seeing the sausage being made. I *want* a robust intelligence service. We have enemies, and I'd rather not be wandering around the global stage blindfolded because of what could be done with a given tool. They've got nuclear bombs that can end the world. I'm worried they can listen to my cell phone?

There wasn't much context with the release (likely the goal of Wikileaks). For all we know, there's a MAJOR due-process behind using these techniques.

Granted, the manner in which the employees behaved in the chats doesn't imply as much

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wonder if we'll see a small run of new computers released that advertise No internal microphone, no webcam!

I'm sure someone could capitalize on it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wonder if we'll see a small run of new computers released that advertise No internal microphone, no webcam!

I'm sure someone could capitalize on it.

I specifically looked for non-webcam laptops the last few times (stretching back about 7 years). Had mixed results. The last time, I just couldn't find one that had the performance specs I wanted without it. So now it has a piece of tap over the cam. :)

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I know this is extreme, but maybe just turn the electronics off when one does super top secret private stuff?

Doesn't do any good if it can be remotely activated. I saw an interview with . . . Snowden? . . . last year talking about completely removing the connectors for the mics and cameras in an iphone and only using it with an external mic if you want to be safe.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Think outside the box a little on this. Think like a weasel in the government. Illegally spying on people doesn't just catch bad people doing bad stuff. It also allows people to be blackmailed in return for not divulging their deepest secrets. People don't always willingly become double agents or informants

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Yeah. But it's OUR state sponsored hacking. Where's your sense of nationalism, dude?

How did james clapper KNOW there was no collusion between russia and Trump? Seems like they went looking a la wiretapping.

Things that make you go hummmm.

Top Bottom