• ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It really depends on the situation.
    If im at home or to a friend's house with people that I know and strust then I will show them the gun.Unloaded and after a quick talk on gun safety.
    If im outside in a public place, I dont know all the people around or I know them and I know that they are not the type of person who should be around guns then I dont show it.I would just say "no I carry concealed for a reason and you cannot see it".

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Naw, even if they really want to see it. Its a safety issue, despite them being "kin" or not. Horsing around with the gun to get it out to show off can cause an accident. Only in a controlled situation, such as a gun range, would I "show off" the gun.

Dough Boy 1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Hammond, IN
    I agree with the general consensus here. If you're around a group of close personal friends that all share a mind set about firearms, then sure I'll show it. If there are people that I don't know well, then I'll deny that I'm even carrying.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I have a 13 yeqr old daughter, who is now 'dating'. Whenever she brings over a new boy, I say to him: "I own LOTS of guns, and usually carry one on me. Want to see one of them??!!??"

I have yet to get a "Yes".

But that's more for the effect, I wouldn't really show him :)

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    My little sister is 12, and I told her that was EXACTLY how I would meet her boyfriends for the first time. :yesway:

I have a 13 yeqr old daughter, who is now 'dating'. Whenever she brings over a new boy, I say to him: "I own LOTS of guns, and usually carry one on me. Want to see one of them??!!??"

I have yet to get a "Yes".

But that's more for the effect, I wouldn't really show him :)

chickenman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Monroe County
    tonight i was at a bonfire with a small group of people and someone made some comment about carrying directed at me and another buddy that were both carrying that implied we had guns on us... someone then looked at me and asked if i really had a gun on me and if they could see it... i just said no i dont and then changed the subject... i personally dont feel comfortable just whipping it out and showing it off unless its someone i know very well and its just us.

but i ask the rest of you... will you show off your gun if asked?

This very same thing happen to me at a halloween party this year. I sat quitely and listen to everyone converisons. While I kept my gun on my side.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    When in public, I don't touch the weapon. In private, if the person is of good character, and I can safely unload it, then I will consider handing it to them once unloaded. With folks that are new to firearms, this can be a chance for them to see that they are not scary and also a chance to give them a very quick lesson in gun safety.

Once I unload it and hand it to them, if they've never held a gun before (ask if they have), I'll step them through the practice of how to check the chamber, keep their finger off the trigger and muzzle discipline. If done right, it can be quite a good experience and has always led to a discussion of how and why to carry.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    When in public, I don't touch the weapon. In private, if the person is of good character, and I can safely unload it, then I will consider handing it to them once unloaded. With folks that are new to firearms, this can be a chance for them to see that they are not scary and also a chance to give them a very quick lesson in gun safety.

Once I unload it and hand it to them, if they've never held a gun before (ask if they have), I'll step them through the practice of how to check the chamber, keep their finger off the trigger and muzzle discipline. If done right, it can be quite a good experience and has always led to a discussion of how and why to carry.
    This is probably the best explanation/guideline I have heard. Well Said.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    As soon as I have enough money to own a Gun...
    Sure, I'll let anyone look at it that wants too...

In military parlance, a gun is a muzzle or breech-loaded projectile-firing weapon. There are various definitions depending on the nation and branch of service. A "gun" may be distinguished from other firearms in being a crew served weapon such as a howitzer or mortar, as opposed to a small arm like a rifle or pistol.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    If I am at home, I might show a friend, if I know they carry a weapon. But being that it is loaded, I would never display or present my weapon from its holster outside of my property.

A Friend of 2A

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I always enjoy whipping it out, just ask my wife!
    My wife says I have the same problem. :laugh:
    Seriously, Nobody gets to hold my sidearm, not even my wife, who holds an LTCH, herself. But then again I don't handle her sidearm either. I feel our everyday carry sidearms are a personal item, just like our toothbrushes.

I guess I'm just weird.

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    My wife says I have the same problem. :laugh:
    Seriously, Nobody gets to hold my sidearm, not even my wife, who holds an LTCH, herself. But then again I don't handle her sidearm either. I feel our everyday carry sidearms are a personal item, just like our toothbrushes.

I guess I'm just weird.

Not weird, me and my fiance are like that too. I don't tpuch her Taurus PT111 and she doesn't touch my Glock.

My grandpa have me mine, and her dad gave hers to her. We respect hers belongs to her and mine belongs to me. The only thing we touch is the ammo and that's only if we are trying to make space for our own. Lol

aetucker1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    totally rude.

well said and I've experienced the same thing, although I rarely take out my carry weapon, and if i do, it is generally for about 3 people...all of which i shoot with.

Personally though, I feel like the question of "are you carrying" or "do you have a gun on you right now" is incredibly rude. first off, the person that just asked you the question has essentially "made" you to every person in the room. now, you are uncomfortable because all of your cards are shown to every person there. second, it brings unwanted attention to something that you are concealing for a reason in the first place. If you wanted the attention on your gun, you would be OCing. third, in my opinion, discussing guns in a room full of mixed company is like talking about politics or abortion...it just shouldn't be done unless you know everyone's view on the subject in the room...and even then, it might not be what you expected. As a general rule though, if someone pulls the old "are you carrying right now" question on me in a group, I will say "no" and later they will be asked politely never to ask said question again in mixed company.

My :twocents:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Personally, I love an icebreaker that turns the topic to guns and/or carry.

Neither the item nor the subject will ever be taboo for me to acknowledge or talk about.

Not for everyone I guess.

Top Bottom