• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I case we have forgotten the real enemy...

[video=youtube;uosgQtji78I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uosgQtji78I[/video]

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I'm done with the NRA until they change. Im not giving them money before I see change. I am a GOA member and will remain. If they do change I'll come back with my wallet open.

There could be extreme consequences if the ATF regulates any rate increasing devices.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I am 76 years old and have learned a few things over the years, some the hard way! Do I believe the NRA is perfect, Hell no. Do I like the ideals of the GOA - certainly. However, over the years the NRA has been at the tip of the spear in defeating many court cases that would have eroded our rights. They have researched and identified secretive anti gun politicians and published those facts.

They are the ONLY organization that the Anti gun politicians fear as their membership have used the power to defeat their election or re-election. They have been directly blamed by the anti's candidates themselves for causing them to lose the elections.

Sometimes there have been compromises, some I sure didn't like. BUT we don't know what would have happened if those "compromises" hadn't occurred. I do know the Anti's are not at all afraid of the GOA or any other Pro firearm organization as they are aware they do not have the membership, money or power to alter elections.

Here in Indiana there were very few handgun permits issued in my younger years! Most of the ones issued were "hunting permits". It was not until two business owners in Gary sued Lake county for damages due to robberies that occurred after the county had denied the owners handgun permits. The NRA supported the lawsuits, and the county lost!

That was the turning point where it was a court decision that determined that any county in Indiana could be sued similar to Lake and would lose in court resulting in huge costs. Immediately after that handgun permits were issued by the thousands.

Most people today take this for granted. I am not idealistic enough to support an organization just because it has great ideas. I am realistic enough to use whatever weapon is effective in protecting my rights. I will continue to support the NRA and certainly hope most people will do the same.

I do understand those that like other pro gun organizations but please don't let our resources be divided, as others has stated Vote in the people you like to NRA positions. I am sure you vote for politicians that support the 2nd amendment but have some ideas you don't like. I am not going to "write in" a candidate in an election if I am sure he doesn't have a chance of winning and lose my vote, even if he seems perfect!

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    https://youtu.be/y5NRbSTvRnA

the people on thd hill know who GOA is; many of them say they are worse than NRA and many pro gun congress critters don’t want to support GOA because it makes them look too pro gun. NRA refused to back paul ryan (IIRC) because he was too pro 2A.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I was an NRA member until I was around 19 years old. I got my Indiana LTCH when I turned 18 and shortly after that, the NRA was advocating a 21 YEAR AGE TO CARRY! That's right, the NRA was literally trying to take away my right to bear arms! I cancelled my NRA membership and joined GOA (and I'm glad I did considering the long list of compromises that haunt the NRA). GOA is the only truly pro-gun lobby.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I am a lifetime member of the NRA and GOA. I don't think any of them are perfect, but they have been effective up to this point keeping enough pressure on the politicians that some of our greatest fears have not come to fruition. They have successfully fought back against political and publicity campaigns organized by the left, Hollywood, and billionaire-lead interest groups. I don't follow them blindly nor agree with everything they do, but I will continue to support them.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    OK, how is the NRA winning in the wrong way? Be specific, cite examples within the last decade.

I will admit, I am not the ultimate authority on NRA history, but I am concerned with what I have seen. Please reference post #18.

That's a bit of victim blaming: The NRA is not the ones eroding your freedom.

I contend that they are by empowering a bureaucrat over requiring a vote of our elected representatives. Please see my response to Mr. Yeager in the OP. Again, I will admit this is my viewpoint and you may not agree, that is OK. But I am talking with more and more people who are thinking similar thoughts as I am.

Plus, you dodged my question: What has the GOA done?

Please reference above about post #18.

Suit yourself.

Most of us view the GOA as belligerent and ineffective.

I am open to learning something and having my mind changed. Please reference post #12

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not knocking the GOA, but I would call them effective when the libs start calling them the enemy, as they do the NRA. :twocents:

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    He who pisses off the liberals the most, gets my vote.
    This is why I personally hired Trump last year and why have been an NRA Life Member since I was 13 years old.

Has the left complained about any other gun organizations?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I like BBI's comment above: we've got room for the NRA, GOA, SAF, etc. They all bring something to the table. As old as the NRA is, like many organizations, they've got some baggage from the past we all deplore now and are still having to live with. Personally, after the shennigans the Indiana republicans pulled this year regarding constitutional carry (allowing it to be supplanted so GOP legislators wouldn't have to go on record voting on it), I'd like to see the NRA revise their grading policy somehow to punish these people. But they probably won't. Still, they're the 800 pound gorilla and as gun owners, they're out 800 pound gorilla. I'll keep supporting them even though I don't always agree with everything they do.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    He who pisses off the liberals the most, gets my vote.
    This is why I personally hired Trump last year and why have been an NRA Life Member since I was 13 years old.

Has the left complained about any other gun organizations?
    https://youtu.be/y5NRbSTvRnA

they know who GOA is, GOA don’t play ball with antis, so they don’t want GOA to get the airtime.

rumor has it NRA lost over 1 million members since Vegas, GOA is picking up steam as well, they’re estimating 3 million members strong by next year.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    NRA was spending money to try to stop Heller before the SCOTUS said they would hear it, after scotus said they’d hear it, NRA backed it. SAF and GOA were two of the main backers of Heller. Same thing with Mcdonald, that wasn’t NRA. GOA is the only one who keeps filing cases to try and repeal Hughes and are a complete NO compromise stance on the 2nd....

The NRA had their own case against DC, and their reason for trying to kill Heller was they were afraid it was going to lose. It's disingenuous to claim the NRA wasn't filing suit or doing anything. Heller came down on our side, but there's no crystal ball that guaranteed it. The NRA also immediately filed on Chicago and San Francisco once Heller was the law of the land.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    The NRA had their own case against DC, and their reason for trying to kill Heller was they were afraid it was going to lose. It's disingenuous to claim the NRA wasn't filing suit or doing anything. Heller came down on our side, but there's no crystal ball that guaranteed it. The NRA also immediately filed on Chicago and San Francisco once Heller was the law of the land.
    They still spent time and money having their lawyers try to stop Heller from being heard; heller was a 5-4 decision IIRC, so no matter who went in front of the SCOTUS our individual right was on a razors edge. We can’t always sit back and “wait for the right time” the antis don’t, they learned to keep trying until they get their way. We need to persist as well. The problem with judges is that they’re trying to impose their ideals on the rest of us and disregard standing laws.

NRA didn’t have anything to say when the ATF opened their comment period on “rate increasing devices” they’re also claiming gun owners wanting to say their peace and fight back with outlr voice is bad for us in the long run.

also worth a quick read; Marion Hammer: NRA Never Wanted Legal Machine Guns, Bump Fire Stocks - The Truth About Guns

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They still spent time and money having their lawyers try to stop Heller from being heard; heller was a 5-4 decision IIRC, so no matter who went in front of the SCOTUS our individual right was on a razors edge. We can’t always sit back and “wait for the right time” the antis don’t, they learned to keep trying until they get their way. We need to persist as well....

Well, that's the problem. You can't just keep going in front of SCOTUS until you get your way. Once case law is settled by SCOTUS, they aren't going to agree to hear the same issue again unless there's major societal change, etc. If Heller went against us, it'd likely been generations before it could be changed. With a hindsight, yes, it was good decision to pursue it...but it was risky. Having a different risk tolerance or playing the long game isn't the same as being "anti-gun".

Top Bottom