You have 2k to get a new general purpose rifle. What do you choose?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    If I didn't already have these things:
    A decent AR with a good optic...all for only $1000 (PSA with keymod handguard and a Bushnell AR Optic 4-18x with .223 BDC reticle)
    A good higher power hunting rifle with optic...I would choose a Hawkeye...$700 scoped.
    Reloading setup for it all, with bullets, primers, powder to last quite a while...$300...get lee stuff and versatile powders (start with H4895)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Mossberg MVP patrol .308 with scope, a bunch of ammo and magazines.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    So, here's the scenario.

You have 2k to get a new general purpose rifle. General purpose meaning, Home Defense, Truck/vehicle rifle, trail rifle, etc.

What do you choose?

Hard mode: no AR's or AK's.

I've been kinda torn between the Steyr AUG, PTR91 SC, CZ Bren 805 S1, and the Beretta ARX100. All have pros and cons that differentiate them from each other.

What say you INGO, What would you get for 2k?

Since you are specifically NOT stating for SHTF, I'm going to have to go with either of these:
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...5/Benelli+11052+M2+Tactical+5+1+3"+12ga+18.5"
    Benelli M2 upgraded to your liking. I picked the more expensive model, however if it were me I would buy one with a standard shotgun stock for less money. I would probably also venture to pay for the cheaper M2, and then buy things or have it modified into a quicker to load/run setup.

IF you are going to be using it for anything but patrolling, ammo constraints don't mean a damn thing. Also, it's one of those things you can never get enough of. Nothing IMO beats having a badass ready to rock shotgun, IMO the M2 has everything you could want...basically, I'm telling you what I would personally buy if I was wanting something with more "bang" for the buck. (pun intended)

00Buck will give pretty much anything a really ****ed up day if you hit with it. It's also fairly simple to make sure it will run slugs. So if you load it with 00Buck, and also have a couple slug, you're good to go.

Call me old school, but I think if you are barring the AR/AK you already have that setup down. I'd move along to a shotgun, as it is more than capable to do what you want.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    A mossberg 500 with a smooth bore slug barrel and a few of those caliber inserts with a couple different types of ammo with me slugs, buck,and bird shot could deal with most of the things I deal with and I think it would be a good choice for shtf issues I mean how far would you likely have to shoot if it ever happened

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I went with the PTR91 with Leupold 3-9, bipod, cheek riser and boxes of mags. I also went with the M1 Carbine, Marlin 45-70 CB, AK47, Win 94....and stuff...

Top Bottom