You have 2k to get a new general purpose rifle. What do you choose?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Marlin 1893 Saddle Ring Carbine made around 1910-20. The caliber should be 32 HPS since 38-55 is getting hard to find.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Marlin 1893 Saddle Ring Carbine made around 1910-20. The caliber should be 32 HPS since 38-55 is getting hard to find.

38-55 isn't that hard to find. Ultramax loads for it, same with Winchester, and HSM is starting to make cowboy loads for more and more of the older cartidges

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    38-55 isn't that hard to find. Ultramax loads for it, same with Winchester, and HSM is starting to make cowboy loads for more and more of the older cartidges

Huh, I guess the last time I looked for it was about 2 years ago. It was nearly impossible then..

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    The OP hasn't been on in 3 weeks, most likely just started this thread in a run for 50.
    He has 18 posts now, maybe he thought it was "too hard" or would require too much effort.

So I would say he really doesn't care what or how we would spend our imaginary $2000 dollars.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The OP hasn't been on in 3 weeks, most likely just started this thread in a run for 50.
    He has 18 posts now, maybe he thought it was "too hard" or would require too much effort.

So I would say he really doesn't care what or how we would spend our imaginary $2000 dollars.
    We have run up several pages on threads that got necroposted from a couple years in the past... what's a few weeks?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

Maybe he saw an answer he liked and went to spend his $2k.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes I do. But mainly from personal experience with the design, reliability and ease of maintenance. The FN FAL has proven itself in battle also.

It would be interesting to test examples side by side. They're very similar in many ways, including their age. And magazines are dirt cheap for both.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I'll play necro thread.

If you're ruling out ARs and AKs, the only decent answer is a Tavor or some other modern variation of the AR platform. Someone said SCAR but good luck finding one for $2k.

Shotguns are almost useless in comparison to the applicability of a modern medium caliber rifle. Nostalgia guns (M1, etc) pale in comparison to the flexibility and utility offered by their modern counterparts.

If you're buying for fun or preference subjective answers are great. If you're buying for purpose, some people may not want to admit it, but there is a correct answer...or small set of correct answers.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hmmm...if I had $2K to spend on a rifle as described in your post, I'd just keep my Marlin 1894 .45 Colt for the purpose you describe, then turn around and sink that $2K into a pre-war Winchester model 70 in excellent condition, probably chambered in 7x57 Mauser.

I like the way this guy thinks. My Marlin 1894 is .357mag, though. Beyond that, I would look very seriously at a new M1.

Carbine MKS Supply to Produce New M1 Carbines - Guns & Ammo

SOCOM 16 SOCOM 16 | M1A? Semi Automatic Tactical Rifles

Scout Model is a great option, too: http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/m1a-scout-squad/

Last edited:

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    the sks is a stable platform. you could run the sks (m) or a Yugo with an extended map. you would have enough money for lots of ammo and at least one training class. the round is cheap and multifaceted and the weapon system is customizable with many interchanging parts.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    CZ scorpion (cool suppressed)
    or bren 806, like the 805 only non reciprocating. Either 5/6 are better than a Scar.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I'll be like the fifth or sixth to say tavor. Nice compact package, good ammo great ergonomics, pretty affordable, feels good in the hand. Seems like a good defense target or hunting rifle choice

got to put a couple hundred rounds thru one this past summer, had a blast with it, could not get the wife to shoot it, she shouldered one at cabelas a week ago, loved it much more than the AR she originally was eyeballing, didn't have it in the budget though.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    When I touched a Tavor in a gun shop to fondle it, my mobile phone rang. The guy behind the counter said, "SHE KNOWS!"

He was right!

It happened!

Top Bottom