• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There's only one thing that comes to mind, with any urgency at least, when I think of what I would do with a time machine...

My dad was born in a literal mud hut in one of the most historically impoverished regions of the world. He was the first person in my paternal bloodline to ever get educated. Both of his parents, who died before I was born, were uneducated and illiterate. Totally illiterate. Could not even write their own names.
    After reading lessons, when my dad's 6 siblings were helping with farm duties, my dad would come home and share with his dad (my grandpa) what was taught at school that day. Eventually, motivated by my grandpa's deteriorating health, my dad slowly taught his dad how to read.
    Sometimes, when I feel like half-assing a class assignment, or basically any time I feel lazy, I think about that simple fact. My father...taught his father...how to read.

If I had a time machine I would just go and sit there. See my grandfather who my dad speaks so highly of. Watch my dad teach him how to read.

:yesway:
    People don't realize how good they have it today, in the information age.
    They concern themselves with the GRADE they get, instead of the INFORMATION they learn.
    They want stuff GIVEN to them, instead of FIGHTING for it.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    :yesway:
    People don't realize how good they have it today, in the information age.
    They concern themselves with the GRADE they get, instead of the INFORMATION they learn.
    They want stuff GIVEN to them, instead of FIGHTING for it.

Very true. When I find myself at fault in the ways you listed it's very useful and motivating to put things in perspective by thinking about what my dad had to go through. Makes me incredibly grateful for the opportunities I have and motivated to make the most of them.
    Along similar lines of thinking, my second setting of choice to travel to with a time machine would be the beginnings of the American revolution, like a lot of people have talked about here. It would be motivating to me in the same way as observing my dad.

Would especially like to see some tyrants get tarred and feathered:D

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Very true. When I find myself at fault in the ways you listed it's very useful and motivating to put things in perspective by thinking about what my dad had to go through. Makes me incredibly grateful for the opportunities I have and motivated to make the most of them.
    Along similar lines of thinking, my second setting of choice to travel to with a time machine would be the beginnings of the American revolution, like a lot of people have talked about here. It would be motivating to me in the same way as observing my dad.

Would especially like to see some tyrants get tarred and feathered:D

I think everyone's been guilty of that from time to time.
    But some people live there.

GrinderCB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Greendale
    I'm going to ask a potentially dangerous question here, I mean this with all die respect and do t mean to derail the thread but many of you mention going back to see Jesus.

In the spirit of this huge what if thread. What if you went back, only find he didn't actually exist, Christian is actually not factual. And you in your journey never find evidence for any religion.

How would your life be different when you got back to your home time?

For instance, I'm not a believer, bit if I saw stuff from the Bible unfold before my eyes I'd certainly have to adjust my beliefs accordingly.

If this is way out of bounds mods feel free to delete it.

Interesting. Jesus of Nazareth was in fact a verified historical figure, so for me it wouldn't be a matter of Him not really existing. Assuming the Romans did in fact execute by crucifixion that particular Jesus of Nazareth about 2000 years ago, the event(s) to verify for me would be the question of His divinity. The only verifiable action at that time that goes toward that idea would be what happened to His body after it was placed in the burial chamber. To see Him come out of the tomb saying something about continuing His work would seal it. On the other hand, if a couple of His disciples are witnessed sneaking in and carrying His body away that would be the faith-breaker.

Actually, rather that witnessing the conditions of His death and resurrection, I think I'd rather attend the Sermon on the Mount, assuming that this game allows us to understand the language of the time. Remember, Mr. Peabody had to make some adjustments to the Way-Back machine so that he and Sherman could understand historical figures. Personally I don't speak Aramaic.

GrinderCB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2017
    Greendale
    Follow my ancestors as they first came to this country and set up a general store in central New York State.

I like that one. I've done the Ancestry.com thing for the past few years and found some interesting information, but the tree on my dad's side of the family goes cold in the 1800's. I found some details on the first of his line to enter America but nothing exact. A time travel expedition to gather family history information would be fun.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I'd like to go back to the late 1920s or early 1930s, walk into a gun store and buy a Thompson sub or a Browning Auto, like Kevin Costner did in the movie The Highwaymen.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    As interesting idea for threads go... this is right up there.

I love history. There would be hundreds of things throughout history I'd like to witness firsthand...

I'd go back every day, and watch it like TV.

1. The big bang. (To be there right after God says "Let there be light.")
    2. The K-T extinction impact that killed off the dinosaurs.
    3. Birth of Jesus. (Yes, I think it really happened.)
    4. The 1883 eruption of Krakatoa.
    5. I want to see Hitler kill himself.
    6. The first Indy 500.
    7. The Hindenburg landing (almost) at Lakehurst.
    8. The Apollo 11 mission.
    9. The Gettysburg address.
    10. I want to see cavemen on a hunt.

I'd like to see several parts of military history.

1. The fall of Jericho.
    2. David slay Goliath.
    3. Mongol siege of Baghdad.
    4. Hannibal marching elephants over the Apls.
    5. Battles of Lexington, and Concord.
    6. Battle of Trenton. (Yes, I want to be in the boat... with Washington)
    7. The bombardment of Ft McHenry.
    8. Battle of Waterloo
    9. Sherman's march to the sea.
    10. Battle of Rorke's Drift.
    11. Battle of Jutland.
    12. Battle of the Somme.
    13. Battle of Belleau Wood.
    14. Pearl Harbor attack.
    15. Battle of Briton.
    16. Battle of Midway.
    17. Battle of El Alamein.
    18. Battle of Stalingrad.
    19. Be on the Memphis Belle for her last mission.
    20 Watch Yamamoto's plane getting shot down.
    21. Battle of Kursk.
    22. Normandy D day Landings.
    23. Battle of the bulge.
    24. Battle of Iwo Jima.
    25. The detonation of "Little Boy" over Hiroshima. (from the ground, and the air)
    26. Battle of the Chosin Reservoir.
    27. The six day war.
    28. Battle of Ia Drang.
    29. Tet Offensive.
    30. Watch Carlos Hathcock do his 3 day stalk of that N. Vietnamese General.
    31. Battle of 73 Easting.

thoroughbred

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    My houseboat on Lake Michigan
    I agree with a lot of things already mentioned and would add things from time periods like feudal Japan, Ancient China, Mayan/Incan/Aztecs, Ancient Rome, The Crusades, American Indian tribes, other tribal regions all over the world, the raid on bin laden, moments during the last election race...I could truly spend eternity witnessing the rise and fall civilations, but im sure this would bring a great deal of sadness/sorrow...I would also focus on the great triumphs, like inventions, discoveries, peaceful times, sporting events, concerts, times when people came together in celebration! Very surprised no one has mentioned much architecture yet either I would be amazed to witness the building of wonders, castles, monuments, temples, etc...entire cities and what the landscape looked like before they were there would be amazing! Times of different periods in evolution...wooly mammoths, sabretooth tigers, direwolves, raptors, what was a trex really like?! Megalodon and the giant whale looking dinosaurs, pterodactyls would be pretty wild to witness, the first walking ancestors discovering the use of tools, was there really a Templar treasure? Just a few things that came to me quick!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Thought of another one tonight. I'd like to go watch live recordings of old radio programs like Jack Benny or Phil Harris & Alice Faye show. Maybe even some more modern tv shows like Friends.

Top Bottom