• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I am left handed. I cast with my left and retrieve with my right, have always done it this way. When I use an open face reel I always switch the crank so I can cast left and crank with my right. I flycast with my left also. All my rods are left handed too.

fro65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    South of Ft. Wayne
    I am predominantly right handed but I own at least two of every left handed baitcaster that Abu Garcia has ever made. Caught the largest northern of my life this past fall with a 5501c4. For some reason, my right hand is stupid when it comes to cranking reels.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I am left handed. I cast with my left and retrieve with my right, have always done it this way. When I use an open face reel I always switch the crank so I can cast left and crank with my right. I flycast with my left also. All my rods are left handed too.

That makes 4 of us that are sane, and have all of our reels set up the same. There's something wrong with the rest of you. ;)

All my rods are left handed too.

:dunno:

bass pro

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    west side guy
    It really does not matter as long as you are comfortable. Fish don't care which hand you use. I have 14 baitcasters all right hand. I cast right and reel right.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I use left handed baitcasters too because I grew up with the casting with the right and reeling with the left. Feels more natural to me this way. I dont think the fish care either because I keep catching them.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm a lefty, and I cast with my left, reel with my right. Back when I was chucking bait, I always had my reels set up right hand retrieve, spinning and baitcasting. Now, my fly reels are right hand retrieve.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I am predominantly right handed but I own at least two of every left handed baitcaster that Abu Garcia has ever made. Caught the largest northern of my life this past fall with a 5501c4. For some reason, my right hand is stupid when it comes to cranking reels.

I haven't used my right hand to crank since puberty. Crank belongs on the left side of the reel for right handed folk. You need that strong right arm setting the hook.

Nipprdog, I'm with you...left handed shimano for me!

I use left handed baitcasters too because I grew up with the casting with the right and reeling with the left. Feels more natural to me this way. I dont think the fish care either because I keep catching them.

I'm a lefty, and I cast with my left, reel with my right. Back when I was chucking bait, I always had my reels set up right hand retrieve, spinning and baitcasting. Now, my fly reels are right hand retrieve.

Up to 9. :D

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I am right handed and grew up learning to fish with spinning reels, cast with right hand/arm and reel with left. When I wanted to buy a baitcaster I tried the "normal" right handed setup and just couldn't get the feel of reeling with my other hand. So I searched around a little and found a couple "left handed" baitcasters so I could still reel with my left hand and it felt much more natural.

Problem is, I never got good enough with the baitcaster to use it with any regularity. One out of every three casts would result in a backlash and swearing, couldn't say how many time I wanted to throw those things in the lake.

I stick with my spinning gear now, it makes the days fishing MUCH less stressful.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom