• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Yeah, I say it's whatever feels right and what you're used to. I don't use baitcasters very much, so I don't know if this is an issue or not -- what happens when your bait hits the water and you get hit while you're changing hands? It's happened to me several times with spinning reels. Of course with a spinner you're reaching across the reel with your left hand to close the bail. Don't see much difference there.
    edit: And I once lost a tarpon because he hit with the bail open.

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    I would say I am abnormal, but it seems many on here are. Spinners I cast right, crank lefty. Baitcasting I cast right, then switch hands and crank right. Fly fishing I cast right and then retrieve line with the left hand.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I'm not much into baitcasters, but I own some for pulling cranks for crappie. I have a few Peen 155 and 500's for catfish. I flip them over and reel left handed backwards.
    I started out in the early '60's with a Zebco 202. Fishing all day on the rocks of a spillway the left arm was worn out. Right handed, it stronger. Then back to camp or home, it was my job to clean the fish.
    Early '70's I would fish with my brother-in-law, left handed. At the time he used a spincast reel, could cast and retrieve circles around me. Shakespeare was the only left hand spincast I could find. I got to the point of keeping up with bil. But, the Shakespeare was a problem kid.
    I have used a lot of spinning reels over the years. I guess I never bought one of good quality. When reeling to close the bail it felt like forcing a 5/16" rod into a 1/4" hole.
    Late '70's at a hardware store I found a Johnson Century 100 B spincast that was missing both nuts for $1. Could move the handle to left or right side, reverse the spool. The reel could be on top or bottom of the rod. Loved that reel, now I have a bunch of them. I have 20 trolling rods with the Century's on them, underneath left handed. Plus 20 or so more for swap outs when needed.
    Getting old I've gone to Zebco Crappie Fighter and Shakespeare Crappie Hunter combos with trigger spin reels, 6.5, 8, 10, 12 ft rods. A seller at the auction will usually have them in the spring and they go for $10 to 20. I hold my limit at $15 tops.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    (I have used a lot of spinning reels over the years. I guess I never bought one of good quality. When reeling to close the bail it felt like forcing a 5/16" rod into a 1/4" hole.)

Never close the bail like that flip it with your finger. Closing the bail like that induces line twist.

Top Bottom