• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mister K

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2014
    Central IN
    I'm right handed, and like most, I started out fishing with setups where you would cast with your right hand and reel with your left. That was all well and good until I got into Bass fishing. The guy who taught me was left handed. He showed me how to use bait casters and I learned how great they were for Bass fishing. So, I decided to order my own bait caster, (without trying one out at a store of course). Something got lost in translation as I naturally ordered a right handed reel. When I got it I was confused because it was backwards :rolleyes:. I tried to adapt to my new reel, but I just couldn't. I now own all left handed bait casters.

japcat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    I am right handed but I like to use a left hand bait caster. I grew up using spinning reels so reeling with my left hand seems the most natural to me.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Left handed. I cast with my right and it doesn't make much sense to switch hands when the bait hits water.
    X2
    I do a lot of different types of fishing from float fishing steelhead to flipping for largemouth in heavy cover, a quick hit from a larger fish during that hand changing could turn out to be a very expensive mistake.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    I'm in the cast right retrieve left sect. Never made any sense to do otherwise. I've seen too many RH folks miss a hook-set as the lure hits the water while they're switching the rod to the left hand to retrieve.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Right handed and fish with right handed baitcasters. I change hands while the lure is still in the air most of the time, and depending on the cast, can engage the spool just as or slightly before the bait hits the water with no issue. I don't even think about it, just been fishing a baitcaster all my life and it comes natural to switch hands.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Left handed here. Cast with left arm/hand and reel in with right hand. This is for both bait casting and spinning reels. I do have an old(very early '60's) Abu Garcia left handed spinning reel that I never got used to.

savage308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    Started fishing right handed baitcasters, but it did not feel natural to work the rod with my left hand/arm. Switched to a left hand and sold my righties. Several reels later and still going with lefties.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    And my question is. ........why?

I won't claim to have thought of this before adopting the practices that I have but maybe it's possible others did and I simply followed suit (I was watching fishing shows as far back as I can remember). Generally speaking, my choice of rod/reel combo is dependent upon the lure type I'm using. For spinnerbaits, crankbaits and top water I use baitcasters, not only because I cast a lot more with these but in thinking about it, these lures don't require the level of sensitivity as those I use with spinning gear. I will primarily use spinning gear for soft plastics which require less frequent casting and more "feel". My right hand (being right handed) is more sensitive as well as being more coordinated for the finer movements I use with soft plastics. I also use spinning gear when utilizing lures or live bait which is too light to be utilized effectively with a bait caster.

The odd man out with this would be bass jigs but I typically only use those up close and in heavy cover and a bait caster simply works better in that situation.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Jimmy Houston said that Bill Dance did everything wrong that you could do in fishing but he still caught fish.

I say... "Ya'll fish your poles and I'll fish mine"

Top Bottom