• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Jimmy Houston said that Bill Dance did everything wrong that you could do in fishing but he still caught fish.

I say... "Ya'll fish your poles and I'll fish mine"

When I started, triggers on spinning reals were popular. I put a lot of fish in the freezer annually, so for years and years all of my spinning reals had to have triggers. A few years back, had to upgrade spinning reals and guess what? Practically no companies put triggers on their spinning reals anymore. Learning curve...

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    When I started, triggers on spinning reals were popular. I put a lot of fish in the freezer annually, so for years and years all of my spinning reals had to have triggers. A few years back, had to upgrade spinning reals and guess what? Practically no companies put triggers on their spinning reals anymore. Learning curve...

I was crazy about the triggers back then, as well.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm pretty versatile with my rods and reels. I can cast either hand, I usually switch hands "Mid Cast" before the lure hits the water. I pitch and flip with either hand as well.
    Guess I started out my bait caster life with bad habits as taught me by my mentor.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I cast my spinning rig with my right hand and crank with my left.

My bait-caster lives in my closet and it's been so long since I used it, I can't remember which hand I used for which. A lot of the fishing I grew up doing, flipping light baits and jigs in a river, and trying to avoid over-hanging branches, was more conducive (for me) to using a spinning rig.

Even when I'm throwing big baits or trolling in Canada, I still use a spinning rig, just a bigger one.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'm right handed, bait I use left handed baitcasters. I was raised on open face spinning reels, casting with my right arm and winding with my left hand. When I was getting my first baitcaster about 30 years ago, there were very few left handed models to choose from. it made little sense to me. :dunno: I just seemed natural to have my spinning and baitcasting reels both set up the same way, cast with right arm and wind with left hand. :D Instead casting with right hand and then switch the reel to my left hand to reel with my right.

But 30 years later, it seems I'm still in the minority. From pros to ametuers, it seems most right handers have their spinning reels with the handle on the left, but use right handed baitcasters. :dunno: :dunno:

What say you INGO, what is your preferred set up?

:ingo:

I'm with you. Cranks on the left side. Makes no sense to swap hands.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I doubt the fish care much and I'm not going to harp on your back about how to use a reel.
    IF it works for you then use it.
    I usually cast with the right hand, switch to the left during the cast. and hold the reel/rod in the palm of my left hand during the retrieve.
    I have to change grip on the rod anyway.

KGS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2014
    Crawfordsville
    I'm right handed. Cast with my right hand and crank with my left for both types of rigs. Don't know whats right or what's wrong but seems to catch lots of fish and after 40 years of eating a lot of fish I figure why change now! :) The fish don't seem to complain or say I'm doing it wrong! LOL!

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Bait fast right handed, spinning reels left handed. Cast both of them right handed. When I fly fish which is only when I’m with my brother I reel right handed. cast left, haven’t broken that habit.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Necro bump for the newbies. Lets see who is normal, or messed up in the head and switches hands.

:p

I think im line most here.

Spinning reel I cast right, reel left.
    Baitcaster cast and reel right hand. (Can cast left handed when needed)

Idky, but it feels more natural to me.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I am buying a new baitcaster soon....with the handle on the left.
    The only reels I have with right hand crank are big Penns.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    A cat fish rig is the only one I like a right hand baitcaster. Bass or another species left hand feels natural to me.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Baitcasters are right. Have 9 of them and see no reason to switch. Some argue that you waste time, but to me I don't believe that is the case. I cast a lot of different ways and sometimes the rod is in my left hand anyway. Spinning is left and honestly makes more sense just from a feel standpoint for me.

Top Bottom