• churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Church posted:
    As to finding your stuff in a box without warning company wide.....Bravo Sierra. That's crap. I don't care how you say it.

Agreed it is harsh. However, even decent people get upset. They can do a lot to disrupt a group in a short time.

Again. they were always treated with respect before and after from me.

Don

Never doubted it.

Reliving this just gets my hair up. When I sat in the big boy chair I did my best to respect my people. I had their back. Most of them had mine in return.
    Things have taken a turn for reasons stated very well up thread.

Last edited:

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I worked for a company for 12 years. During that time my department had gone from 3 to 2, to 1, to 2 to 5. I was the senior guy in the department. At the time I was let go, I usually got in around 9:15AM because I dropped my son off at school in the morning. my kid was being picked on when riding the bus, so I started dropping him off instead.

One morning I get a meeting request in one of our meeting rooms from my boss. My boss resided in another state and was based in our office in that state. I knew right then what was going on. I went through the 5 phases of grief on the drive into the office. HR was waiting for me when I got in. She asked me if I had seen my boss. I told her I was on my way to a meeting with him.

I got into the meeting room, he wasn't there. I pulled all of the company's stuff out of my bag. Pulled out the Amex out of my wallet, dropped the keys on the table. HR & my boss come in and explain to me that due to economics I was being let go. The HR lady left and my boss and I talked. At which point I found out that all IT management was being let go. He was let go around 7AM, he let our IT Manager go at 8, and I as the Senior guy, former IT manager and architect of the network was being let go as well. He was stuck there till they transitioned to whatever they planned next for IT.

What no one at the company knew at that time, and only CameraMonkey knew was that I had planned on leaving as soon as I physically moved the company to a new location. It was going to be my last project there. I was already planning my exit.

It was a good thing, I was burned out and needed something new.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Damn that's cold. They couldn't wait 30 more days...

I dont know about y'all but I'd rather get the 30 day warning on December 1, than the "Happy new year, welcome back on this lovely Tuesday, January 2nd morning, Here's a box for your stuff, there's the door. We stopped paying you friday at 5pm."

Thats 30 days of job hunting, and possibly the chance to say "screw you, I quit!" and move on before the timer counts down to zero.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It happens to all of us at one time or another. Just pick up your last pay check and start the next job search. Life goes on, and so do the tough ones. Whatever it takes to feed the wife and kids. Whatever it takes.

Many times, the new position is better than the one lost. You just have to keep learning, keep moving, keep working.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I switched jobs in June of this year to better myself and just before my 90 days they decided they couldn’t afford to pay for delivery drivers and were going back to “ Courier drivers”. Not a problem and they paid severance. Found a much better job and am pretty happy now. I have since found out that my original company (a well known HPE that’s gotta be) has done away with the plumbing and electrical side of their business. I’m pretty happy to have made the transition when I did and can only move forward at my age.
    I will say, I’ve had much better luck with jobs since Trumps been in office.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Feb 9th 2018, I’ll have my 25 years with Toyota Motor Manuf = Retirement eligibile at any age. No plan on leaving, but dang that’s going to be a nice feeling. Medical benefits even if I retire. I’ll be 51.

Very, very sorry for those “let go”, I can’t imagine!

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I'd much rather know now that my job was ending than in January. Right now you can still cut back on extra expenses. A month from now, much more has already been spent.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've been a part of the hiring and firing processes. I guess I'm lucky that I only had to get rid of people that needed to go.

It's a cold world sometimes...sometimes you have to manage the termination scenarios assuming the lowest common denominator could happen.

Feb 9th 2018, I’ll have my 25 years with Toyota Motor Manuf = Retirement eligibile at any age. No plan on leaving, but dang that’s going to be a nice feeling. Medical benefits even if I retire. I’ll be 51.

Very, very sorry for those “let go”, I can’t imagine!

I was always told that when it's time you'll know it. I never really knew what they meant until it was time. Oh I thought I did but when it was time for me, I really understood what those old timers were talking about.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    And it is almost ENTIRELY for that reason that there is such a LACK of LOYALTY on the part of Gen X and Gen Y.

Watching their parents get ****canned after decades of service tends to do that.

So we can sit and talk and think about this as though it is one company, or one recession that's causing it, but it is really a general lack of loyalty and value for fellow humans. The same phenomenon may be responsible for school shooting sprees, etc. Where that's come from I don't know, but it's worked it's way into corporate American through-and-through.

In the board rooms of America, Gen X & Y workers tend to draw criticism for being money-grubbing ship jumpers. Though that can clearly be incontrovertible TRUTH, "these damn kids" are making decisions based on the only matrix they have (one heavily weighted towards self-preservation), and are able to move companies 5+ times in a decade. For the record, that's not really good for anybody.

The absurdity and irony of all this is that the ROOT CAUSES of this can ONLY lie with Executive America (hint: they ain't Gen X) while so much of the critical dialogue comes.
    from.
    the same.
    place.

-Nate

Definitely some truth to that. I've been laid off twice and have definitely developed a bit of a mercenary attitude about work because of it. If I'm being paid well, treated well and advanced in a timely manner, I'll stay at a company, bust my butt for them and do what's needed. As soon as the balance sheet goes from good to bad, I'm planning my exit and looking for greener pastures. I don't feel a hint of remorse, just like a company doesn't if they make the decision to let me go. No one is looking out for me, except for me, so I need to do the best job for myself that I can.

I worked for a company for 12 years. During that time my department had gone from 3 to 2, to 1, to 2 to 5. I was the senior guy in the department. At the time I was let go, I usually got in around 9:15AM because I dropped my son off at school in the morning. my kid was being picked on when riding the bus, so I started dropping him off instead.

One morning I get a meeting request in one of our meeting rooms from my boss. My boss resided in another state and was based in our office in that state. I knew right then what was going on. I went through the 5 phases of grief on the drive into the office. HR was waiting for me when I got in. She asked me if I had seen my boss. I told her I was on my way to a meeting with him.

I got into the meeting room, he wasn't there. I pulled all of the company's stuff out of my bag. Pulled out the Amex out of my wallet, dropped the keys on the table. HR & my boss come in and explain to me that due to economics I was being let go. The HR lady left and my boss and I talked. At which point I found out that all IT management was being let go. He was let go around 7AM, he let our IT Manager go at 8, and I as the Senior guy, former IT manager and architect of the network was being let go as well. He was stuck there till they transitioned to whatever they planned next for IT.

What no one at the company knew at that time, and only CameraMonkey knew was that I had planned on leaving as soon as I physically moved the company to a new location. It was going to be my last project there. I was already planning my exit.

It was a good thing, I was burned out and needed something new.

I had a similar experience. Hired in as a Sr. Desktop Analyst and had 3 people under me. After a year the Helpdesk responsibility was folded into my team because the team members went on to other positions. People came and went over the years until after 5 years, I was the only person left. A year later they folded helpdesk and desktop into the network team and my former peer became my manager. Worst manager I've ever had in my entire career. After 6 and a half years with the company I was sitting at my desk when the head of IS came down and asked me to attend a "quick meeting". Thankfully I already had all my personal items cleared out weeks before and was prepared when it turned out to be my final meeting at that company. At least I got 90 days severance and the longest "vacation" I'd ever had since I began working.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    When I was in management at a company the hiring and firing was fine with me. The problem I had was when things got slow and I had to lay people off. I was management, and on salary so I made the same either way. Sending people home hurt. They could draw unemployment, but that wasn't instant.

Had to follow the rules on time served as well. Remember sending a guy home who was the bread winner with three kids. Next guy up was single and still living at home.

I could fire people all day long if need be, because that meant they had done something wrong. The other got to me. I was out kicking up any business that I could just to keep people on the payroll.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Many years ago I was fired from a large company after 4 1/2 years service. It was quite the blow as we had a four month old baby and we had moved a year earlier for this "promotion". I could see it coming and had been looking for a change. My boss and his boss showed up one day and I knew how it was going to go. They took me out for lunch and ignored me while they talked baseball. When we got back to the office they took me to a room and told me I was being let go. I was to get one month severance pay.

We moved in with my mother and within a month I was hired by a competing company in my home area. I ended up staying with them ten years. It was a much better place to work than where I was.
    Later I found out that my replacement at the old job was fired for sexual harassment. Got a kick out of that.

The night I was fired my neighbor came over to have a drink with me. He told me that down the road I will be glad it worked out this way. He was right.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I had a similar experience. Hired in as a Sr. Desktop Analyst and had 3 people under me. After a year the Helpdesk responsibility was folded into my team because the team members went on to other positions. People came and went over the years until after 5 years, I was the only person left. A year later they folded helpdesk and desktop into the network team and my former peer became my manager. Worst manager I've ever had in my entire career. After 6 and a half years with the company I was sitting at my desk when the head of IS came down and asked me to attend a "quick meeting". Thankfully I already had all my personal items cleared out weeks before and was prepared when it turned out to be my final meeting at that company. At least I got 90 days severance and the longest "vacation" I'd ever had since I began working.

I was given 12 weeks of severance, plus they paid out my time off (108 hours), that I wasn't going to be able to use in the next 4 days, plus paid me till the end of the month (4 days). If they had waited till the 1st of the month and let me go they wouldn't have had to pay out the vacation. I had a new job in 6 weeks, being paid more. I was grossly underpaid at the time. The year before they had to give me an additional 6% raise to bring me back into the pay band for my position, but then they changed my title to Senior Network Administrator, so I fell out of the pay band right away. As of the new fiscal year they were looking at a 20% raise to put me back in the band.

So it was all financial for the most part. They 6 months later replaced the three of us with two people. One of which was making WAY more than I was even at my new job, let alone what I made there.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I was given 12 weeks of severance, plus they paid out my time off (108 hours), that I wasn't going to be able to use in the next 4 days, plus paid me till the end of the month (4 days). If they had waited till the 1st of the month and let me go they wouldn't have had to pay out the vacation. I had a new job in 6 weeks, being paid more. I was grossly underpaid at the time. The year before they had to give me an additional 6% raise to bring me back into the pay band for my position, but then they changed my title to Senior Network Administrator, so I fell out of the pay band right away. As of the new fiscal year they were looking at a 20% raise to put me back in the band.

So it was all financial for the most part. They 6 months later replaced the three of us with two people. One of which was making WAY more than I was even at my new job, let alone what I made there.

My experience didn't work out the same way, but that's okay. It was 2007 and jobs were hard to come by in Minnesota where I lived. It took me all of the 90 days I had to start another job and I took a 30% pay cut. It worked out fine in the end, as I was happier at the new job and made some great friendships. The wife was making more so that made up for it. When I look back, I'm glad they let me go.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hey, it's just business. What's good for the businesses is good for the economy.
    Exactly, businesses aren’t there for the employee, they are there to make money, which drives the economy. While some companies are douche nozzles about the way they downsize, terminate, eliminate, etc. the fact remains, if the employee or position negatively affects the bottom line, it’s good business to eliminate it.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I worked for a small company, and we got notice at 4:00pm that at the end of the day at 5:15pm we were out of a job.
    Little more than 1 hour notice.
    It had a happy ending, in that things picked up and I was back at that same job and company in a couple of months.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    20 yrs total, was told done in 2 months.
    Got all my customer's builds done, boss was at lunch.
    Put my keys, laptop on his desk and walked my stuff to my truck.
    Didn;t make the rounds saying goodbye or nothing.
    Job done............pizz on 'em.
    He was PO'd because he didn't get to give me an "exit interview".
    He screwed our group over.........too bad he got a little ding on his review.

Hell he probably forged an exit interview.

Guy had the nerve to call me, a yr later.............wanting me to work contract for half the money, to bail him out on a project.

No class.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    20 yrs total, was told done in 2 months.
    Got all my customer's builds done, boss was at lunch.
    Put my keys, laptop on his desk and walked my stuff to my truck.
    Didn;t make the rounds saying goodbye or nothing.
    Job done............pizz on 'em.
    He was PO'd because he didn't get to give me an "exit interview".
    He screwed our group over.........too bad he got a little ding on his review.

Hell he probably forged an exit interview.

Guy had the nerve to call me, a yr later.............wanting me to work contract for half the money, to bail him out on a project.

No class.

And I can hear how that went.

Top Bottom