• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Most of us, middle management and even frontline staff, were done with our GM--complaints to corporate HR, etc.

I received a meeting invitation for December 10th, and where my office was, I could see people go in and out of his. One hour before my meeting, the first "problem child" (in his eyes) was in and out--he mouthed "fired" as he walked out the door.

30 minutes before my time, the next person had the same reaction.

I knew what was coming, so I backup my contacts and "got my affairs in order".

My position was eliminated, though I should have been offered a frontline position, so clearly *I* was being eliminated. I got my vacation pay and a month's severance; they let me pack up my office and take my time to do so. I immediately sent an email to my contacts that said, "My position has been eliminated; if you have any leads on jobs, please let me know. If you have questions on any of our on-going projects, please email BOSSMAN@company", since I knew my email access would get shut off quickly.

It was the best end of a job I've ever experienced. I was never so happy to walk out the door (other than knowing that my friends were going to be subject to Bossman and his misery).

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    As a government employee - it IS nice to not generally have to worry about it.

Stability vs higher pay.

We have had TWO people fired from my office in the last 3 years. It's almost impossible to get fired from a .gov job!

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    This really is the "responsibility that comes with power".

It really does suck having to do so, but it is business not personal. It sure feel personal though in a small company. I recently had to drop 1 of 7 in my team......ouch.

OldHoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    I'd rather know I'm losing my job before I go $1000 into debt for Christmas stuff I can't afford now than not know and wish I had the thousand for house payments, etc. Always try and keep 6 months salary in liquid funds -- it makes being laid off easier and may even save Christmas for the kids. And alway remember that while people at your employer may be your friends, your employer is not. They are a self-interested company that is out to make money.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'd rather know I'm losing my job before I go $1000 into debt for Christmas stuff I can't afford now than not know and wish I had the thousand for house payments, etc. Always try and keep 6 months salary in liquid funds -- it makes being laid off easier and may even save Christmas for the kids. And alway remember that while people at your employer may be your friends, your employer is not. They are a self-interested company that is out to make money.

I rarely if ever made more than casual acquaintances at work. Being in a service related field it is cut throat when work slows down. People will sell you out for a dollar. I work with those folks. I did not party with them.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I rarely if ever made more than casual acquaintances at work. Being in a service related field it is cut throat when work slows down. People will sell you out for a dollar. I work with those folks. I did not party with them.
    Replace service industry with gun owners?;)

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Very glad I work in an office environment. Have partied with, shot with and just plain hung out with many friends from work over the years.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Company I worked for was sold out to another company in another state. That made a bunch of us duplicate worker bees. The new company name went on the door so guess who got the axe? We were terminated on 10/31/15...no severance pay, no health insurance, we got paid for any vacation days we had left and they approved out unemployment. I went to an average of two interviews a week, face to face, and every one said the same thing "We'd love to hire you but we can't do anything until the first of the year." Ended up being unemployed for three months before landing a great job...one year later they sold out to another company out of state so I bailed out and got a new job before the end of summer came, and before they fired everyone....three months after I left.

If your company is "merging" and the new company name is on the door now....get ready to exit.

Getting canned in the last quarter of the year means you'll have a hard time getting back to full time work before mid January.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Company I worked for was sold out to another company in another state. That made a bunch of us duplicate worker bees. The new company name went on the door so guess who got the axe? We were terminated on 10/31/15...no severance pay, no health insurance, we got paid for any vacation days we had left and they approved out unemployment. I went to an average of two interviews a week, face to face, and every one said the same thing "We'd love to hire you but we can't do anything until the first of the year." Ended up being unemployed for three months before landing a great job...one year later they sold out to another company out of state so I bailed out and got a new job before the end of summer came, and before they fired everyone....three months after I left.

If your company is "merging" and the new company name is on the door now....get ready to exit.

Getting canned in the last quarter of the year means you'll have a hard time getting back to full time work before mid January.

One advantage to my career was a steady following of customers that liked my work and trusted I had their best interests in mind. They would have no problem following me to another company. Having a solid book of work made me marketable no matter what time of the year. I tested this many many times.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    As a government employee - it IS nice to not generally have to worry about it.

Stability vs higher pay.

We have had TWO people fired from my office in the last 3 years. It's almost impossible to get fired from a .gov job!

Yes, in govt work, you're mostly safe from getting the boot for under-performing. AND, you have the added benefit of getting no reward (or even notice) for over-performing.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    And it is almost ENTIRELY for that reason that there is such a LACK of LOYALTY on the part of Gen X and Gen Y.

Watching their parents get ****canned after decades of service tends to do that.

In the board rooms of America, Gen X & Y workers tend to draw criticism for being money-grubbing ship jumpers. Though that can clearly be incontrovertible TRUTH, "these damn kids" are making decisions based on the only matrix they have (one heavily weighted towards self-preservation), and are able to move companies 5+ times in a decade. For the record, that's not really good for anybody.

You are right. What is good for one is good for all. The problem the very wealthy CEOs need to understand is that these young people don't see a great future ahead. Those who have planted roots in industries that are stable, have a SO they meet when young, they are different. Those who moved from college to another city, might move somewhere else for weather, geography, etc., they likely are single for the most part (not tied down in anything serious), and they are used to renting and things like owning a home, being tied down to an area just doesn't appeal to them. Many have large debt loads, so when they are told "You'll never increase your vacation allotment if you keep starting over!" most are laughing because they are lucky if they can even afford two vacations per year.

I think this mostly depends on the type of sector though. For example, most nurses I know have stayed with the hospital health group they started with. One has done all sorts of moving around after getting advanced credentials. She picks what is right for her due to whatever home life is like at the time. When it comes to office type jobs, accounting, IT, etc., if the company isn't treating people well, those folks are more likely to flee more than anything. If one looks at the first marriage rates for those born in the 80s and 90s, it looks bleak for many young people in terms of marriage. This isn't to say that many people won't partner up for life, but not having that "official" bond makes it easier to choose not to have kids, which makes it easier for the couple to say "You know what, we are sick of living in so and so and our jobs suck (even if they pay well), so lets do something else." Many are learning that home ownership isn't necessarily the greatest thing either, so just being renters makes it easier to move.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    For the most part, the days of putting in 40 years and pocketing a gold watch are over with. The times, they are a changin'. The focus on employees as individuals is lessening every day, and in this instant news, instant sports scores, overnight shipping world we live in, companies are now focused on getting the end product out as fast as possible and banking as much cash as they can.

I've never been treated more like a number than in my last job. When the opportunity to leave presented itself, I couldn't exit quickly enough. I ended up hating that place and most people associated with it.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    I'm retired now but when I was an employee I always believed my resonsibility was not just to do my "job" but to work at anything that needed to be done. I was fortunate to have never been laid off but realized it was always a possibility. To minimize the possibility, I tried to make myself more valuable than anyone else by doing more, learning more, and improving things. To prepare for the possibility of a layoff I did without many things to keep an emergency savings fund. I also developed a plan to use the time I was off to take courses and training to market myself better.

Later in my career I became an employer, and in not one employee did I see the same traits I exhibited as an employee so I had no guilt or reservations when an employee was to be terminated. I always operated my business with a skeleton staff and never had to lay off anyone.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I've had employees who didn't do their job...militantly didn't do their job, vocally refused and thought they'd found contract or other outs to prove them right. I sat them down and read their job description to them and they said they wouldn't do that. They thought they were untouchable and smug...they found out otherwise. I have zero problem firing people at any time of the year who won't do the job they were hired for. No matter how safe they thought they were I knew a way.

I always told people when then came to work for me that They had a rope to do with as they will, I would give them free reign to prove themselves. They could climb mountains and be rewarded for their efforts, they could do nothing with it and go nowhere and eventually move on, or they could tie a noose and hang themselves with it. I found it odd how many chose to choose the latter.

I fully expect anyone I work for to do the same...funny that now everyone is just afraid I might retire.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    One advantage to my career was a steady following of customers that liked my work and trusted I had their best interests in mind. They would have no problem following me to another company. Having a solid book of work made me marketable no matter what time of the year. I tested this many many times.

I keep a lengthy list of projects I have been involved with that had successful outcomes. It also has references for each one...so it is a collection of MY work that I can show to prospects and prospective employers. It's not a sure job getter but it has been very helpful to me in the past.

Sometimes you have to toot your own horn.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

I'd be expecting a call from Pagano for employment and career advice.
    A little birdie told me he'll be looking for a new job. Maybe a career in the fast food industry?

Top Bottom