• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is why I fight fire instead of working a regular job. My job is safe even politics doesn't affect my career, my position possibly but very unlikely.

Sorry for everyone that has had to endure this crap.

It's all a trade-off. We don't have to actually fight fires, which is kind of risky!

I used to work for the Federal Gov't. The job security is unparalleled if you even 1/4-ass your job and show up part of the time and the benefits are excellent. Back then, the pay sucked compared to private sector, but now the position I had and a lot of other Fed jobs pay more (sometimes by a lot) than their counterparts in the public sector. Given that, there isn't a chance in hell I would go back. I wouldn't even consider it.

Yeah, I hope I don't have to eat those words some day. UGH.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hard to have a lot of loyalty these days for the younger generation. We see companies absolutely raking in money, then their stock ticker blips just a smidge.....and the board and stock holders want to “see if the CEO is willing to make the tough decisions.” And the company ends up cutting a bunch of people.....because why? The company was making money and had no real need to fire half their workforce.....the stocks just didn’t do as good as they were predicted. When the company doesn’t care about the people working for it, why should those people have a shred of loyalty?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Hard to have a lot of loyalty these days for the younger generation. We see companies absolutely raking in money, then their stock ticker blips just a smidge.....and the board and stock holders want to “see if the CEO is willing to make the tough decisions.” And the company ends up cutting a bunch of people.....because why? The company was making money and had no real need to fire half their workforce.....the stocks just didn’t do as good as they were predicted. When the company doesn’t care about the people working for it, why should those people have a shred of loyalty?

American companies focus too much on short term profit. They'll lay off workers for a dip in profits, only to turn around and hire about the same amount or more back not long after. Don't even realize the soft costs of losing productivity while having to train in the new staff. Then they do it again, and again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    American companies focus too much on short term profit. They'll lay off workers for a dip in profits, only to turn around and hire about the same amount or more back not long after. Don't even realize the soft costs of losing productivity while having to train in the new staff. Then they do it again, and again.

The computer and the level of micro management it provides drives these swings.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup.....seen it multiple times. Lay off all of your trained and senior people in December and bring in a bunch of green college hires in January. And make life hard on the people you didn’t lay off in the process due to lack of adequate resources.....because they sure as hell don’t want productivity to slip.....even though they let go of half of the knowledge and leg power.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yup.....seen it multiple times. Lay off all of your trained and senior people in December and bring in a bunch of green college hires in January. And make life hard on the people you didn’t lay off in the process due to lack of adequate resources.....because they sure as hell don’t want productivity to slip.....even though they let go of half of the knowledge and leg power.

I have seen this in the local supply houses for the HVAC trades.
    With the computer comes micro management of the employees and stock on the shelves.
    They let all the sharp guys (hi-paid) go and hire people with zero screw driver knowledge of the trades they are servicing. They pay them less. Everything you need to know is in the computer after all.
    If they do not move enough of a certain item they do not restock it for more shelf space on faster moving inventory. But people still ask for those no longer stocked items with no joy. They get disgruntled and start looking for a better supply house because that place is fast becoming an out house due to micro-management.
    Micro-managers start to see sales drop and can not figure out why because they are not trained service/install people.
    The trained people find an old school supply house where they can make one trip and get everything they need for any given job.

Top Bottom