• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    Isn't there a process in the rules for scoring review? Like the 1 hour review window?

Not sure if that applies to the new way of posting them, they used to hang them on a board so you could review during the match, any how I am pretty sure I met the hour review time if you look at when they were posted on the USPSA site. USPSA's scores are not corrected, PRACTISCORES have been. Just to be clear our Area and Section officials were on it when I made them aware of the prob!:yesway:

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Not sure if that applies to the new way of posting them, they used to hang them on a board so you could review during the match, any how I am pretty sure I met the hour review time if you look at when they were posted on the USPSA site. USPSA's scores are not corrected, PRACTISCORES have been. Just to be clear our Area and Section officials were on it when I made them aware of the prob!:yesway:
    Yes it was corrected in Practiscore
    In order to correct it in USPSA a file has to be created and then uploaded.
    Marc who has that is still in Louisville for work

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    On the stage I was working we had the shooter look it over then hit submit. So if it was entered wrong on them.

THAT is total BS!
    and Jake it was you who told me it was edited on Sunday after I shot it on Saturday, so edited is pretty much altered. Doesn't mean anyone did it on purpose if that's where you thought I was going. Unbunch the panties and carry on! :rolleyes:

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    366 competitors with over 6600 scores entered in
    1 correction was needed because a score was entered in on the wrong person and was edited incorrectly
    it was caught on the hard copy that is required for Level 2 or higher

Altered to me means that it was intentional, I don't wear panties, prefer boxer briefs, and it is a game we play.

I was going to run paper scoring for the match because I was not certain that running the hand held devices without wifi running for 5 days would work
    It did, worked great.

To me the debate over paper vs electronic is dead

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    366 competitors with over 6600 scores entered in
    1 correction was needed because a score was entered in on the wrong person and was edited incorrectly
    it was caught on the hard copy that is required for Level 2 or higher

To me the debate over paper vs electronic is dead

hmmm, looks like I screwed the pooch, sorry bout that to both parties.

Probably in the afternoon sun when you had to hold the kindle just right and stand on your left foot to see the screen ?

(debates never die, just sometimes there is a pause to reload :) )

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis

Sounds like the process worked!

It also sounds like the error could have happened regardless of how the scores were initially entered. Good job everyone!

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    For the record a couple of my scores are incorrect.
    I shot so poorly that the difference in the final results would be minor.like uncle Gary's ammo.
    I didn't even look at the results until Monday afternoon.
    I hope everyone keeps using electronic scoring.
    Less work for me:)

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    This was our first Level 2 with electronic.
    The late decision to go that route prevented thorough testing of the total process.
    Indiana clubs pulling together to ensure that the system worked was awesome.
    Steves' particular issue appeared to be isolated, it was (or is being) resolved.
    Sunday afternoon there were several areas that needed attention but were resolved in a timely manner.
    There are pros and cons to both ways of scoring.
    I am a bit biased, but I would say that it was a success.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    This was our first Level 2 with electronic.
    The late decision to go that route prevented thorough testing of the total process.
    Indiana clubs pulling together to ensure that the system worked was awesome.
    Steves' particular issue appeared to be isolated, it was (or is being) resolved.
    Sunday afternoon there were several areas that needed attention but were resolved in a timely manner.
    There are pros and cons to both ways of scoring.
    I am a bit biased, but I would say that it was a success.

I agree with Gary. I think it was a success.

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    This was the exact same process that was used at area 5 a few weeks ago which is a level III match. If it works for a level III, it seems to be good enough. Mistakes happen, but ultimately it's the responsibility of the shooter to ensure targets are scored correctly and scores are subsequently entered correctly. This is why you follow the RO during scoring of targets, sign your results on the paper copy and have the option to hit the save button on the kindle. The example here seems to be a unique case and sounds like it was promptly corrected. The kindle recorded the editing of the score when it was accidentally changed. You would never have known what happened with all paper scoring. As others have stated, all paper scoring leaves way more chance for mistakes because of math and manual entry. It sounds to me like the process worked as it should.

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    are your scores not correct?

Yes they are, and posted to USPSA today. I think the process worked fine, even though my verbage ruffled some feathers I think it was handled pretty well. This is a game and there is nothing to win but since we are keeping score they should be correct.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    The example here seems to be a unique case .

When things calm down I would like to know exactly what happened, so it can be avoided next time and because not knowing bugs me.

I can see just looking at the name wrong on the scoresheet at the table or on the kindle drop down list, or maybe even papers being shuffled after a shooter got started, that would get things hosed for one person. If it was a squad with extra names on the drop down list ( no-shows or shooters swapped late or whatever) then one person could get scored in the wrong slot.

For two people to get swapped though, the first mistake would have had to happen and then you would have had to have made the exact same mistake when the guy that was scored in his place came up to shoot. This seems unlikely, we just weren't operating at that level of carelessness, but maybe that is what happened?

Side note;
    Perobalee if I were going to go at things again I would think about an agreed procedure to be posted on a laminated sheet at each stage (or somewhere). Just to make sure everything was done exactly the same at each stage. Stuff like;
    1. Hand over the red book with the order already correct.
    2. If you want to be involved with scoring hang on the r.o.'s shoulder & don't figure on him going to look for you on Mike's & edge calls.
    3. If you want to read the kindle hang on the scorekeepers shoulder as they read the data to the scribe.
    4. If you want to push the button, be there at the right time, wait for all data to be read and recorded first, don't have a quart of that "Be like Ben" white **** dripping off your hands, don't hit the button so many times that the kindle backs up two or more screens.
    5. Hit factors will be recorded to ?? decimal places.
    Issues were remarkably rare and minor and things went really smooth I thought. But I do not know how consistent we were stage to stage, and there were a couple very minor feather ruffles. Maybe am being too anal, have not heard any of the shooters talk about inconsistencies so perhaps it is all good as is.

Last edited:

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    When things calm down I would like to know exactly what happened, so it can be avoided next time and because not knowing bugs me.

I can see just looking at the name wrong on the scoresheet at the table or on the kindle drop down list, or maybe even papers being shuffled after a shooter got started, that would get things hosed for one person. If it was a squad with extra names on the drop down list ( no-shows or shooters swapped late or whatever) then one person could get scored in the wrong slot.

For two people to get swapped though, the first mistake would have had to happen and then you would have had to have made the exact same mistake when the guy that was scored in his place came up to shoot. This seems unlikely, we just weren't operating at that level of carelessness, but maybe that is what happened?

Side note;
    Perobalee if I were going to go at things again I would think about an agreed procedure to be posted on a laminated sheet at each stage (or somewhere). Just to make sure everything was done exactly the same at each stage. Stuff like;
    1. Hand over the red book with the order already correct.
    2. If you want to be involved with scoring hang on the r.o.'s shoulder & don't figure on him going to look for you on Mike's & edge calls.
    3. If you want to read the kindle hang on the scorekeepers shoulder as they read the data to the scribe.
    4. If you want to push the button, be there at the right time, wait for all data to be read and recorded first, don't have a quart of that "Be like Ben" white **** dripping off your hands, don't hit the button so many times that the kindle backs up two or more screens.
    5. Hit factors will be recorded to ?? decimal places.
    Issues were remarkably rare and minor and things went really smooth I thought. But I do not know how consistent we were stage to stage, and there were a couple very minor feather ruffles. Maybe am being too anal, have not heard any of the shooters talk about inconsistencies so perhaps it is all good as is.
    Some stages presented the Kindles for the shooter to see and press the save button and some did not. Our squad had shoot 7 stages before that procedure was offered. All stages should have had the same procedure.

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    With paper back up hitting the save button should not matter. Your transferring the scores from the kindle to the paper. Then lastly, signing the paper agreeing they are correct and transferred properly. Doesn't that suffice as "hitting save?"

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    The competitor is responsible for his scoring being correct. That being said, the competitor has every right to see the score keeper enter each targets score and then verify that it was transferred correctly to paper.
    Doing this like one should to make sure the shooter knows his score is correct will add a bunch of time to each shooter. I hear the RO say alpha, or Alpha Mike, I hear the scorekeeper read it back. That doesn't mean it got put into the Kindle correctly, or it was transferred to paper correctly. I certainly can't keep my A, B, etc, scores in my head for all 32 rounds on each stage without walking the targets with the RO/scorekeeper and watching the input on the kindle from each target.

It works pretty well, I've got no complaints. But to suggest that the shooter is to verify his score is correct from current practices is a stretch, IMO.

Top Bottom