• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Is that Belgian 1889 the bolt action, tube magazine fed rifle?

Not tube fed, has a magazine like the Argentine '91 and a barrel shroud like the Gew 88. The Argentine '91 is basically the Belgium 1889 without the barrel shroud.

They are really hard to find because there weren't that many made to begin with, and after WWI Belgium converted them to a short rifle, the 89/36.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I wanted one of those for a long time. I finally gave up because people like to collect them. I just wanted one to shoot. I've decided there are some more modern guns I would like to have to shoot and have started concentrating on them. Sometimes the crowd here is tough. I have got to where when I trigger one of the old goats, if I didn't mean it that way, I just ignore them. They aren't entitled to an explaination of their misunderstanding. Early on I had one tell me I was being a dick to a new guy because I said Indiana had a LTCH not a CCW. Like I said I ignored him even though he was a "dick" and gave me negative reputation points. I was a new guy too. I think he was a hypocrite. Don't matter now, I think he is dead. And that is all I have to remember him by. I hope that is not what I leave for others. When collecting look at what the people collecting what you want are collecting beside that. Collectors tend to like trading more than selling.

Johnk

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Mooresville
    While I fully understand where you are coming from, most of the democrat presidential wannabes are saying the same thing about money. How much money do you need, one million, one billion? Same thing with our collectibles. In a free society there is no such thing as need with collections, whether collecting money or firearms. There is only want.

Can we please leave politics out to this discussion?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not sure what you're looking to spend, but looking at the completed auctions on Gunbroker, it seems they go anywhere from 500 - 700 bucks on up. They're out there. Just a question of how much you're willing to spend I guess. :dunno: I'm a collector and I don't have one, but of the guns I do collect, I've whittled down my duplicates to the point that I really only have one of each. I really need to thin the herd, but it's hard to decide what to sell when I no longer have duplicates of anything.

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    [/QUOTE]My holy grail is a Belgium Model 1889 rifle, try finding one of those at a reasonable price, they don't exist! I saw one last weekend at the Militaria Show-of-Shows and I'm pretty sure it was the first time I have ever even seen one on a table for sale. Unfortunately, I didn't have the money for it. That's the way it goes.[/QUOTE]
    Hmmm
    What model of 1889 are you looking for? the full rifle or one of the half dozen carbines? or the 89/16?

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    As one that has collected mostly military for 40 or so years.. they do accumulate. I have found ones I was looking for for years, then turn around and find 2 more... and a lot of time cheaper and nicer shape. The old guys (me now) have several of something because they found it and could afford it back then. The old guys that were before me had the most wonderful collections of percussion colts and remingtons, I couldnt touch them when i started, still can't now.
    I collect variations, and sometimes that means a lot of one model, but they all have a place in my collection. When i decide to let go of some, I take them to a show or something, sometimes list them here. but it's not often i let go of my main collecting focus.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Hmmm
    What model of 1889 are you looking for? the full rifle or one of the half dozen carbines? or the 89/16?

The full rifle, but PM me what you have if you have something you are looking to let go. I wasn't trying to derail the thread, just citing an example.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    It's just the free market at work.
    You could say the same thing about any firearm, not just collectibles. Why does anyone "need" more than one of the same gun?

Johnk

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Mooresville
    It's just the free market at work.
    You could say the same thing about any firearm, not just collectibles. Why does anyone "need" more than one of the same gun?

I should have used the word "want" in my initial thread post. That would have been more appropriate.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I should have used the word "want" in my initial thread post. That would have been more appropriate.

Yes, that does change the tone of the post. The answer is people are just hoarders, and most people value their stuff about 25%-50% than it's actually worth.

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    I am guilty of that.. I have X and think it's worth $100 and it is.. to me. to the regular guy that don't care it as an extra W stamped near the hammer it's worth $50.. and that would be most people. to the other guy looking for the extra W stamping, it's probably worth $30.. :rockwoot:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've seen some large collections of Colt 1903s, but in all fairness they are the potato chips of Colt collecting.

Here's one in particular.

Last edited:

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    "Why does anyone "need" more than one of the same gun?"
    I like 938s, but they don't all look alike.

Top Bottom