• ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Sheesh guys...this thread is the ingo equivalent of the left cancelling some comedian for a joke they made years ago.
    No the left cancels because they hate the truth, they are the hypocrisy, by definition.
    And, it’s not in the past, it’s current.
    The OP has been challenged and asked some questions, and hadn’t really explained himself, which is perfectly fine, it’s his right, and just like the Garand question maybe he’s thinking about it. Obviously, he sees things differently, which is fine too. But one can expect to be challenged from time to time.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    :):
    Ok

shortcircuit-brain.gif

I'm out...

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I know this refreshed post started a while back, but I do and have been attempting to collect one of each caliber of Remington 788 they made. I’m well on my way. Been looking since about 1974, now I have to wonder if I’m going to hurt someone’s feelings? some how that’s just not right.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Whether stamps, coins, guns, or fine wines, the first rule of collecting is "the fewer on the market, the more valuable each example becomes."
    Limited supply/natural attrition does its part, but simply scarfing up items increases the value of the collection, and all remaining available on the market, exponentially and artificially.
    Not saying this is the goal of all collectors, but it's strong juju.
    Stamp collecting is particularly cutthroat.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Whether stamps, coins, guns, or fine wines, the first rule of collecting is "the fewer on the market, the more valuable each example becomes."
    Limited supply/natural attrition does its part, but simply scarfing up items increases the value of the collection, and all remaining available on the market, exponentially and artificially.
    Not saying this is the goal of all collectors, but it's strong juju.
    Stamp collecting is particularly cutthroat.
    Those dang philatelists...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Being a collector I've accumulated a variety of guns over the years, even have duplicates or different varieties of the same gun. Many were bought broken and repaired which has been a good and practical experience, but I'm in no way a qualified gunsmith.

When I go shooting with a group I share what I've brought, even provide the ammo sometimes as a lot of folks don't have things like 44-40.
    And when you do we all love the experience you provide. To shoot a piece of history. How many story's are attached to those old pieces that you revive. I love the posts and follow the repairs as closely as my time allows.
    When the political insanity pushed you to take a break from ingo I reached out and pretty much begged you to return and I am so glad you did.

Now as to the OP. I have been involved in several somewhat expensive hobbies in my time. Muscle cars/Harleys/boats and now guns. In every one of these the prices of available pieces escalated with the involvement of more people. More people involved less pieces available, so the prices rise. Harleys were a casual investment at one point until the hobby exploded. Prices doubled. Availability tanked. Same with muscle cars. Some of this is profiteers/carpet baggers as it were. They smell a market/profit and here they come. In your case the online auctions (just like Barret Jackson did for cars) drives up the prices because people see that and seek the dollar bills involved.

I see a lot of bashing in this thread and am about to dust off the hammer. Seems to be the tone this week.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I totally disagree with the OP on his decision to sell his scary black rifles. But I also disagree with OP on collectors. I want as many guns that I want as I can get. For me? Arsenal Strike Ones.

Top Bottom