• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Being a collector I've accumulated a variety of guns over the years, even have duplicates or different varieties of the same gun. Many were bought broken and repaired which has been a good and practical experience, but I'm in no way a qualified gunsmith.

When I go shooting with a group I share what I've brought, even provide the ammo sometimes as a lot of folks don't have things like 44-40.

Johnk

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Mooresville
    6b085a8bedd540b448a0191c2e612902.gif
    I'm gonna regret this reply but the heck with it. So when's the last time in the past 20 years you heard of a mass shooting involving a Garand or a Mauser?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I'm gonna regret this reply but the heck with it. So when's the last time in the past 20 years you heard of a mass shooting involving a Garand or a Mauser?
    Can't think of any off the top of my head.

So is it the length of time that makes the difference to you? That it's been almost 80 years since the Mauser and the Luger were used to commit atrocities, it's easier to disassociate that with the model of firearm, whereas because AR-15's are a more common tool for murder in the current time period (someone else will surely jump all over this and say it's false, but let's just take it as a given, for the moment, for the sake of discussion) it makes you more uncomfortable owning one?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Can't think of any off the top of my head.

So is it the length of time that makes the difference to you? That it's been almost 80 years since the Mauser and the Luger were used to commit atrocities, it's easier to disassociate that with the model of firearm, whereas because AR-15's are a more common tool for murder in the current time period (someone else will surely jump all over this and say it's false, but let's just take it as a given, for the moment, for the sake of discussion) it makes you more uncomfortable owning one?
    Andreus' reply is pretty much how I was going to answer. I'd wager that Mausers and Garands have taken way more lives than AR-15's or even M-16's and M-14's.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Ok lets just say for arguments sake here that it is about platform availability; if this platform was not available would the evil in the persons heart had a different outcome? Would they have still been able to do evil? Why should the law abiding gun owners have to make up for someone else’s unbalanced life?

I think we need to fix the heart problems, but we have a long road ahead of us, long term actions have long term consequences.

I assume you want to unload this so the next person can deal with any confiscation issues later? Or you can be free to advocate for confiscation without it affecting your pocketbook?

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I saw a recent statistic the 77% of mass shootings were done with a handgun! Guess he needs to start unloading those as well?

And while we are at it 43,000 people died in motor vehicle accidents last year so we need to ban all private vehicles!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Ya know, I am going to stick up for @Johnk (well..a little).

I had a gun at one point that had a negative connotation attached to it. You would not have seen that in the gun but I every time I saw the gun it brought forth a negative memory of someone's untimely and tragic death.

The gun is gone and the memories stay in their proper place.

If John looks at an AR and is reminded of a senseless, cowardly and tragic act that is within a contemporary and specific context to him - then he should go ahead and get rid of it.

If John looks at a Garand and a Luger and sees the history that shaped the world we live in (or whatever it is for him) and not the deaths - then so be it.

Now, why he would mention that in the ad is a little puzzling - not sure I remember that approach in Marketing 101.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I saw a recent statistic the 77% of mass shootings were done with a handgun! Guess he needs to start unloading those as well?

And while we are at it 43,000 people died in motor vehicle accidents last year so we need to ban all private vehicles!
    Someplace I saw a table of weapons used in defined mass shootings over the past 30 (?) years. The VAST majority used were handguns and even though the most horrific in terms of causality tended to be some type of semi-automatic rifle, even those shooters often had a handgun.

Be careful, my friend, with the comparison to vehicular deaths. That exactly what the liberals are pivoting towards. Looking at automobiles and how we have increased their safety over the decades. The liberals are really looking to get the CDC to start studying this as a public health issue again. Can you say "smart" guns, class? How about "registration"? No? Try "mandatory firearm owner liability insurance coverage"?

Here is a little more bad news:

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    As i have been collecting since the 1970's i have accumulated large collection of military firearms, lugers,mausers, 2 1889 belgiums, Garands,1903's, swedish mauser even 3 94's. yes i have multiples and at prices i paid and todays values it is a very good investment. As to people having multiples i know a guy that collects lever actions, has well over 100 of them some duplicates and some that are hard to find. It is all the individuals choice on how they pursue there collecting i think. I even collect ammo too. I collect reloading equipment that is considered ancient also. As to new purchases i have slowed way down due to retirement, and the way prices have gone up, but i have pretty much all i need but if a obsolete or hard to find piece comes along i will consider it.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    As i have been collecting since the 1970's i have accumulated large collection of military firearms, lugers,mausers, 2 1889 belgiums, Garands,1903's, swedish mauser even 3 94's. yes i have multiples and at prices i paid and todays values it is a very good investment. As to people having multiples i know a guy that collects lever actions, has well over 100 of them some duplicates and some that are hard to find. It is all the individuals choice on how they pursue there collecting i think. I even collect ammo too. I collect reloading equipment that is considered ancient also. As to new purchases i have slowed way down due to retirement, and the way prices have gone up, but i have pretty much all i need but if a obsolete or hard to find piece comes along i will consider it.
    I just saw a RCBS Green Machine for sale at my lgs. Had no idea what it was or if it qualifies as ancient…

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Here is a little more bad news:

And if someone is murdered with a kitchen knife can the family sue Cutco? I know, I know…but it's not that far of a logic leap.

And I was not necessarily comparing vehicles to weapons, and I know there are those that do, but the real point is a crazy person will always find a way to be crazy wether they use a gun, car, knife, IED or whatever. Until we start recognizing that some of our society are not normal and stop normalizing the fringe aberrant behavior de jour we are going to continue to see such acts.

Johnk

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Mooresville
    Ya know, I am going to stick up for @Johnk (well..a little).

I had a gun at one point that had a negative connotation attached to it. You would not have seen that in the gun but I every time I saw the gun it brought forth a negative memory of someone's untimely and tragic death.

The gun is gone and the memories stay in their proper place.

If John looks at an AR and is reminded of a senseless, cowardly and tragic act that is within a contemporary and specific context to him - then he should go ahead and get rid of it.

If John looks at a Garand and a Luger and sees the history that shaped the world we live in (or whatever it is for him) and not the deaths - then so be it.

Now, why he would mention that in the ad is a little puzzling - not sure I remember that approach in Marketing 101.
    In my defense, I mentioned it in my ad because I get the question "why are you selling it"?

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I think what we have here is good ol' fashioned hypocrisy...

Hypocrisy is the practice of engaging in the same behavior or activity for which one criticizes another or the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform. In moral psychology, it is the failure to follow one's own expressed moral rules and principles.

:patriot: :ingo:

Top Bottom