Army's new SIGs ejecting live rounds, can't handle standard ball ammo.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have a bit of an issue with price being the most important factor in choosing the weapons which will be used to defend the country and its military.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Me too. I'm not defending the practice. The amount of money we had to spend and the value of the resources we had to assign to make equipment run reliably because of vendor failures often had to exceed the savings that purchasing got by going with the low cost vendors over the plant's objections.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    There's a bit more to it than the money spent up front, at least there should be. It appears the Army is learning that the hard way now.

Sure, there should be. And there probably is. But if I'm sitting in that meeting, it's hard not to say "Yeah, but $100M? Do you want to be the one explaining this in front of the Senate Armed Services Committee?" I mean, there's a lot of fixing that can be done with that kind of wiggle room.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Sure, there should be. And there probably is. But if I'm sitting in that meeting, it's hard not to say "Yeah, but $100M? Do you want to be the one explaining this in front of the Senate Armed Services Committee?" I mean, there's a lot of fixing that can be done with that kind of wiggle room.

Like in my industry analogy, there are feathers to be put in caps, careers to be advanced, promotions to be sought, and like you say, if it costs $50MM dollars to fix the problems, they've still saved $50MM. At least that's the logic I've seen used where I worked.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    There could be quite a few dead soldiers as well. I'd prefer to argue spending more money on a firearm which makes more sense than trying to put a price tag on lives.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    No explanation necessary when the low bidder doesn’t meet the spec, which these pistols obviously aren’t doing. This whole thing reeks of collusion, do you think the Russians did it? In all seriousness, PEO Soldier, and all the program managers and Army staff officers need to be investigated as does Sig.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Are some lives worth more than others?

WsDDUtGh.png

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    There is a lot of handwringing, but I'll be interested to see what the fix is. We went through several stages of product improvements with the M16, and today it is everyone's favorite platform.

Besides, it's not like they're dealing with a bunch of cracked frames....

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    There is a lot of handwringing, but I'll be interested to see what the fix is. We went through several stages of product improvements with the M16, and today it is everyone's favorite platform.

Besides, it's not like they're dealing with a bunch of cracked frames....
    Slides too. There was plenty of double dealing in the M9trials as well, aircraft sales to Italy, Aviano airbase...

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You're right. Just guns that discharge when dropped, puke live ammo while being fired and can't cycle with ball ammunition. Clearly good decisions were made for all the right reasons.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    No explanation necessary when the low bidder doesn’t meet the spec, which these pistols obviously aren’t doing. This whole thing reeks of collusion, do you think the Russians did it? In all seriousness, PEO Soldier, and all the program managers and Army staff officers need to be investigated as does Sig.

The Army wound up with M16's because an Air Force general liked the way it blew up watermelons at a BBQ. Defense procurement is ugly business.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Slides too.

Forgot about that.

Makes you wonder if the Army was taking that into consideration when they decided against Glock. Nah, I'm sure it was just a bunch of corruption. Nobody at HQDA was worried about a pistol falling apart in the hands of a soldier.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Forgot about that.

Makes you wonder if the Army was taking that into consideration when they decided against Glock. Nah, I'm sure it was just a bunch of corruption. Nobody at HQDA was worried about a pistol falling apart in the hands of a soldier.
    They really didn’t decide against Glock, Sig was the winner because Big Army wanted Sig. there are already thousands of Glocks in Army Arms rooms, as well now, Navy, and Marine Corp stores, and I’m sure some made their way to the Zoomies as well. Not hearing about ANY problems there?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Forgot about that.

You meant Glock frames cracking? I was talking about M9’s cracked frames and the slides cracking and separating from the pistol, injuring soldiers?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    They really didn’t decide against Glock, Sig was the winner because Big Army wanted Sig. there are already thousands of Glocks in Army Arms rooms, as well now, Navy, and Marine Corp stores, and I’m sure some made their way to the Zoomies as well. Not hearing about ANY problems there?

SOCOM doesn't procure its stuff the same way. They're too cool. It isn't like we hear about every little thing that goes wrong in their world, either.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    You meant Glock frames cracking? I was talking about M9’s cracked frames and the slides cracking and separating from the pistol, injuring soldiers?

Sorry, not cracking slides. Flying off the frame, lulz.

Glock 17M Recall Update - The Firearm BlogThe Firearm Blog

There is a pretty strong history of .40 Glocks having cracked frames as well, which could be concerning given the Army's interest in using a higher pressure round.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I'm really not bringing this up to bash Glock. They make a fine pistol. Generic? Sure. As nice as most other pistols in the same class? Hardly. But quality nonetheless. They have served many LEO's well. I only bring this up as a means of introducing some reality. The IMPD Glocks had a pretty embarrassing stumble at introduction. But a fix was developed, we didn't have officers bleeding all over the streets, and the pistols are working well. The Sigs are not flying apart, at least.

Maybe it's every bit as bad as the "see, I told you so" perfection fan boys say it is. In that case, we can all light our collective hair on fire. On the other hand, it might be an easy fix like the IMPD fiasco.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You're right. Just guns that discharge when dropped, puke live ammo while being fired and can't cycle with ball ammunition. Clearly good decisions were made for all the right reasons.

You have quite a gift for putting a plain truth in a plain way!

Top Bottom